Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
Last minute availability

Trying to find some last minute HKG-SFO/YVR availability in J on CX but ain't seeing any, despite most planes are showing J9.

Is CX not releasing awards anymore? I haven't redeemed since pre-covid...
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by beepyou
Trying to find some last minute HKG-SFO/YVR availability in J on CX but ain't seeing any, despite most planes are showing J9.

Is CX not releasing awards anymore? I haven't redeemed since pre-covid...
U seats are for tickets they don’t think they can’t sell. Usually when J space is wide open that means they’ll open U space, but during the circumstances of a global pandemic (the world is still in a pandemic) CX figures if you really need to fly and want to fly J you’ll buy it right now.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:43 am
Community Director Emerita

There's some biz award space in May/June on CX. I booked LAX-HKG-LAX for 2. Fingers crossed that some Asian destinations are open.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There's some biz award space in May/June on CX. I booked LAX-HKG-LAX for 2. Fingers crossed that some Asian destinations are open.
And that CX is still in business and flying passengers as well as cargo
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Luckily it sounded like I got a veteran CS agent who knew what she was doing booking CX. All AS agents are super nice and helpful but it sounded like CX takes a bit more work on their end to book, it’s not as simple as other carriers. She was also very talkative and narrated her steps so I have a pretty good understanding of what she did haha.
Sounds like I may have got the same agent! Getting lucky with a more senior agent seems to be the only way to get these bookings done.

Two previous calls with no space found in J or F. Third call where the agent asked herself out loud if F books into Z, and immediately found the space. She made a similar comment that CX takes a bit more work than other airlines, and it took a little while for her to be able to confirm the space.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Called in today to try to add a connecting flight for HKG - LAX to make it NRT - HKG - LAX instead.

Luckily it sounded like I got a veteran CS agent who knew what she was doing booking CX. All AS agents are super nice and helpful but it sounded like CX takes a bit more work on their end to book, it’s not as simple as other carriers. She was also very talkative and narrated her steps so I have a pretty good understanding of what she did haha.

1. First confirmed space on NRT - HKG segment by itself in J, which itself sounded like a hassle. But she confirmed with me the space is the same as I found on BA.

2. She then had to take back control of the ticket from CX. Unlike other carriers, CX takes control of the ticket for award bookings even when booked through partners after the partner books the tickets.

3. She had to manually release back the J space on the long haul but immediately got it back with a married segment from NRT.

4. Even then, the award space was reserved but CX was being difficult, so she had to transfer to their partner liaison to confirm the ticket. After a few minutes the ticket got confirmed (all on one PNR/confirmation code) with a few more dollars to pay for taxes and fee ex-NRT.

CS agent if you happen to read FT, you’re an absolute allstar! Alaska is the best US program, hands down.
Oh man, this sounds pretty non-trivial.

Pessimistic-me now thinks that most CX bookings are not going to be bookable unless one happens upon a uniquely-skilled agent like the one you had.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Just something I would add. If you find yourself up in the middle of the night, sometimes AS Twitter agents if they aren’t busy will help you. You can say I’ve tried everything, and for whatever reason XYZ segment isn’t being released even though award seats are available. I’ve had some really nice Twitter agents if they aren’t too busy bring this to someone’s attention and have them release the space.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Sounds like I may have got the same agent! Getting lucky with a more senior agent seems to be the only way to get these bookings done.

Two previous calls with no space found in J or F. Third call where the agent asked herself out loud if F books into Z, and immediately found the space. She made a similar comment that CX takes a bit more work than other airlines, and it took a little while for her to be able to confirm the space.
For senior agents who know what they’re doing in relation to partner booking call the Partner desk- 1800-307-6912
Old Aug 15, 2021, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
For senior agents who know what they’re doing in relation to partner booking call the Partner desk- 1800-307-6912
Had 5 calls this past weekend just to book an itinerary from KIX-HKG(stopover for 3 days)-JFK on CX. The previous 4 calls were either unprofessional or no luck by dialing the 800-252-7522 number. Was desperate until I saw your comment here on this thread. And then boom, the rest were just history. Thanks for the tip! And I left a good feedback for the agent who helped me booking my itinerary by talking directly to his supervisor. Guess just pass it on and helped a brother out!
NWplatinum and pWei like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:44 pm

Any idea what the hours of the Partner Desk is? (or is it 24/7)? Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by kayexalate
Any idea what the hours of the Partner Desk is? (or is it 24/7)? Thanks.
I don’t think it is 24/7, but im not certain of the times. Obviously calling during the day PST and you should be fine.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:20 am

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but has AS finally uploaded CX availability to their website?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by MidwestSkyCruiser
Had 5 calls this past weekend just to book an itinerary from KIX-HKG(stopover for 3 days)-JFK on CX. The previous 4 calls were either unprofessional or no luck by dialing the 800-252-7522 number. Was desperate until I saw your comment here on this thread. And then boom, the rest were just history. Thanks for the tip! And I left a good feedback for the agent who helped me booking my itinerary by talking directly to his supervisor. Guess just pass it on and helped a brother out!
Im glad I could help out. I’ve been booking these tickets (and EK F before it got discontinued) for years. The main number for AS the agents have zero clue how to help with CX/EK award tickets. Occasionally you’ll get an experienced agent on the Gold/75K line.

But the partner desk is the best way to always go if possible. They also know the lingo if you say to them “how many J seats are you seeing because I am seeing X J seats.” Whereas an agent on the regular number would think you’re speaking Chinese.
MidwestSkyCruiser likes this.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Aug 16, 2021 at 2:44 am
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’m curious to get the community opinion on this.

Flying ex-HKG - USA, before oneworld I would definitely pay the 20k premium over business to fly J to get access to both the excellent first class lounges and superior soft product in F. However, now that I get OWE through AS75k, I get F lounge access regardless and now I’m less sure if paying a 20k premium just for some caviar and a bit higher shelf alch, and PJ’s are worth it.

Ex-JFK I think FFD at AA FL makes it worth it, but do you think Ex-HKG is CX F 40% better than CX J, an already excellent product?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but has AS finally uploaded CX availability to their website?
No you still need to call in
kalderlake likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.