Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is there a place to take a nap in the F lounge in HKG?
CX Wing F & Pier F
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
The only available first flight from HKG-JFK is the last one on my dates arrives at 22:35. I won't be able to connect on any flight from there at that time. Is there a lounge I can access on arrival at JFK using my CX boarding pass or Priority pass at that time?
By OW rules, no OW lounge access. An AS connection doesn’t count as an onward Oneworld flight. This is what I got using Google to search for “jfk t8 priority pass” (CX uses T8).

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/airp...nal/terminal-8
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by dealspoints
The Pier is very nice, but on the other side of the airport. The Pier has its own restaurant (rather than business + first at the wing) for first class passengers and free massages.
is this true?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
is this true?
No! The Wing has separate sides for Business and First. There is a restaurant for F, the J side has the noodle bar. I wasn't terribly impressed with the Wing F lounge. It felt cold and the food offerings outside the restaurant were, well, meh! when I was there. I ordered a dish in the restaurant that took 25 minutes to prepare and 2 minutes to eat. Just my opinion but I think CX lounges are over rated.

For those that are traveling 1F & 1J on AS awards the F passenger can bring the J passenger into the F lounges as a guest.

James in Phoenix
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

By OW rules, no OW lounge access. An AS connection doesn’t count as an onward Oneworld flight. This is what I got using Google to search for “jfk t8 priority pass” (CX uses T8).

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/airp...nal/terminal-8
Thank you, it appears that this lounge closes at 10 PM, I'll arrive 22:35
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:45 pm

Qantas website is showing CX availability in F BA shows as unavailable. Which is more reliable?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Qantas website is showing CX availability in F BA shows as unavailable. Which is more reliable?
For me, 100% success booking on AS when I provide flight details from what I have found on QF. I find BA a little cumbersome so I don't use.

James at PHX.
tobikosan and Nazdoom like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, so, not to troll so much or anything, but... I was not impressed with CX F at all. I liked it a lot less than JL F, and honestly, I prefer JL J to CX F.

My detailed reasons are here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30922353-post202.html but the TL;DR is that the food was terrible and the seat, while spacious, is horribly designed with no room to put anything.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Has anyone who has tried both CX and QF advise which one has a better F? and how easy it is to find QF F cuz I can't see anything on AS or BA website
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a bit of availability in August; LAX - SYD or MEL.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:26 pm

Just thought I'll share my booking experience regarding calling in for Cathay Pacific. These are the steps I followed. Maybe some can find these information useful.
1. I did search on the gateway cities to HKG using Qantas and BA website.
2. Then I did a search on my city to the gateway city using Alaska. This is the part that is a gray area for me. When looking for routing, I only looked at those that are 12.5 K or lower.
3. After I gather all the information, I called the agent.

The agent was actually NOT asking for the actual flights, rather he asked for date, stopover, and destination. I told the agent my starting city and date, the length of time I want to be in HK, and my destination after HK. Then the agent then did some search on his end. The CX flights matched those that I've found on Qantas and BA. To my surprise, he mentioned a BETTER routing from my city to the gateway city. For example, when I did my search, this is the only routing that yielded under 12.5K
DAL - SAN 13:05 - 14:25
SAN - SFO 18:10 - 19:45
That was an awkward timing that leaves too little time to leave the airport and too much time to remain in the airport. The flight from SFO leaves a bit past midnight. Since I have no status, I don't have access to lounges. But that was the only one available to me to allow me to connect to CX in less than 24 hours. When the agent quoted the flight I could pick for my routing, he mentioned a direct flight DAL - SFO. I was well aware of that flight. The search on Alaska website listed that flight as 20K. I just didn't think that was an option. With this better routing, I can actually spend a few hours in SF as I have a 13 hour layover! Thank you guys for the information and help on this forum with my CX booking!
I don't know if calling the agent can yield different result or I was just fortunate.
witthuus likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did this mean that AS has gone to flexible pricing for their saver awards?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Did this mean that AS has gone to flexible pricing for their saver awards?
That doesn’t sound like that.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

That doesn’t sound like that.
Maybe I'm confused...

If it's not saver, you can't tack it on to a partner award. If some of the ones you can tack on are 12.5k and some are 20k... is that not flexible pricing for those saver award flights?

Maybe I'm just not understanding what being said here...

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 25, 2019 at 1:51 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:31 am

Just to add a bit more context. The two flights that I was allowed to choose from were both 20k. I don't know if they somehow become different if you search for them direct (i.e. DAL-SFO) vs using them to connect to partner flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.