Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Alaska
There is NRT-ORD J on Feb 16th.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
There is NRT-ORD J on Feb 16th.
Thanks for that. I've got 4 nights in Disney Tokyo until the 20th. I'm flexible starting with the 20th, but I'm locked in before that.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
There is an SQ J flight available to LAX but I'm SQ poor at the moment while I've got a huge stack of Alaska miles that I'm seemingly unable to use because it's so hard to find award spaces anymore.
You know AS can book SQ now, right? Use that huge stack of AS miles. HKG-SFO in J is wide open in late February, for instance. You'll have to figure out connecting flights and it's 100k, but you could possibly rebook a better itinerary close-in. Yeah, I know ORD can be garbage in winter but there's nothing saying you need the perfect itinerary now, that's what waiting for close-in inventory to come open means.

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
No doubt, and I generally do that. But, on this particular trip, I didn't have a firm idea on what I wanted to do after Singapore, or when I wanted to come home. So I was holding off on booking a return flight. Just frustrating that when I decide, there is nothing there.
Like I said, worst possible time, all the early award inventory is gone, you're waiting for subsequent releases of inventory close in. JL does this, CX may as well (you have to think they're hurting enough with how HK is these days).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 27, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You know AS can book SQ now, right? Use that huge stack of AS miles. HKG-SFO in J is wide open in late February, for instance. You'll have to figure out connecting flights and it's 100k, but you could possibly rebook a better itinerary close-in. Yeah, I know ORD can be garbage in winter but there's nothing saying you need the perfect itinerary now, that's what waiting for close-in inventory to come open means.
Yup good idea, but for some reason the NRT-LAX SQ J saver award that is available via SQ is not being seen on the Alaska site. I'll probably go with KE that you suggested earlier as I can get that. And the change fee on that is very cheap in case something else more ideal opens up.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Like I said, worst possible time, all the early award inventory is gone, you're waiting for subsequent releases of inventory close in. JL does this, CX may as well (you have to think they're hurting enough with how HK is these days).
Yup good points. You would think something would open up with either one, ideally JL so I don't have to go through HKG on the way home to ORD.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:44 pm
cgo

Hi,

I am new to Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan, but I am based within Southeast asia. There is not much material on how to claim Alaska Airlines from this part of the world as most of the blogs you see have flights that originate from the US/North America.

So for example, if I want to redeem miles from Cebu, Philippines (CEB) to Tel Aviv (TLV), Israel. I saw the redemption charts from HKG to middle east (AS redemption rates on CX metal) is 30k one way for business. But if I am originating from CEB, how much would it be?

With the current 50% mileage bonus, I reckon this would have been a very good value to redeem. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cgo
Hi,

I am new to Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan, but I am based within Southeast asia. There is not much material on how to claim Alaska Airlines from this part of the world as most of the blogs you see have flights that originate from the US/North America.

So for example, if I want to redeem miles from Cebu, Philippines (CEB) to Tel Aviv (TLV), Israel. I saw the redemption charts from HKG to middle east (AS redemption rates on CX metal) is 30k one way for business. But if I am originating from CEB, how much would it be?

With the current 50% mileage bonus, I reckon this would have been a very good value to redeem. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Read the wiki. Two awards, CEB-HKG and HKG-TLV. Note the recent difficulty people are having with some award types not involving North America in the thread since CX is playing games with married segment availability. My thought is you had better be quite certain you can find availability before you buy a pig in a poke.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:35 pm

A question that some of the more experienced people may be able to answer for me?

I have an award ticket for three people from tpe-Hkg-yyz that I would like to change to sin-Hkg-yyz. I have checked the sin-Hkg segment we prefer and it is available and obviously we are already booked into Hkg-yyz. That said, the Alaska call center cannot make this change as the « pass-through » from sin-yyz is not available and thus if I wanted to change this it would have to be priced out as two segments.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so can you explain how it works/why it happened?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by illico
« pass-through »
Married segments
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
The miles game is completely worth it. The thing is you really need to be very early when booking these reward flights. I'm talking about booking them 10-12 months before your trip. Planning and being proactive is of the essence. These award flights get scooped up quickly on the top notch airlines.
Even when you book 11-12 months out, you might not be able to snag your ideal itin, on CX you might get 1F and the rest J, and waiting for more F to available.

Sometimes there's 0F available and I just book whatever lieflat I can find and when there's a better itin, cancel and book new one. Can rack up lots of fees unless you're elite everywhere...

I once booked FRA-JFK on SQ J 11 months out, then FRA-JFK on SQ F two weeks out, then FRA-ORD on LH F one week out. SQ rejiggered their award chart right in the middle of that too .... :/

Another time booked JL F with AA miles on less than ideal dates, hoping to change to CX F during the AA deval. When LH F-LH F become available two weeks out on my ideal dates, used the excuse of schedule change to cancel JL flights for free , then booked LH F with UA miles. (LH F only had one seat initially. So booked that one and a few hours later, another seat available)

Very tedious !!

Last edited by rufflesinc; Dec 3, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Married segments
What does this mean? Does it mean that SIN-HKG-YYZ can only be booked as 2 segments?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by illico
A question that some of the more experienced people may be able to answer for me?

I have an award ticket for three people from tpe-Hkg-yyz that I would like to change to sin-Hkg-yyz. I have checked the sin-Hkg segment we prefer and it is available and obviously we are already booked into Hkg-yyz. That said, the Alaska call center cannot make this change as the « pass-through » from sin-yyz is not available and thus if I wanted to change this it would have to be priced out as two segments.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so can you explain how it works/why it happened?
Originally Posted by percysmith
Married segments
Originally Posted by Thanwee
What does this mean? Does it mean that SIN-HKG-YYZ can only be booked as 2 segments?
It means different things in different situations. You should search for some threads describing it here for full detail. In general it means one segment or more is not available by itself it is only available when booked with another compatible segment. One cannot have one without the other, hence the term married.

In this situation OP booked TPE-HKG-YYZ as married segments. The fact that they are married is not displayed to the buyer at the time of purchase but in this case I suspect it was known by illico at the time of booking. It was likely done initially because HKG-YYZ had no availability by itself and illico wanted to lock in the T-Pac segment hoping to switch the TPE segment later so he booked TPE-HKG-YYZ to get availability on HKG-YYZ which was not available by itself. The problem now is that even though SIN-HKG has separate availability HKG-YYZ was booked as a married segment and must be married to a compatible partner segment which, evidently, SIN-HKG currently is not. Since SIN-HKG currently is claimed to have availability it should be able to be added to a standalone segment so it looks like the AS automated system cannot break the marriage of the existing segments in order to add the SIN-HKG segment.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It means different things in different situations. You should search for some threads describing it here for full detail. In general it means one segment or more is not available by itself it is only available when booked with another compatible segment. One cannot have one without the other, hence the term married.

In this situation OP booked TPE-HKG-YYZ as married segments. The fact that they are married is not displayed to the buyer at the time of purchase but in this case I suspect it was known by illico at the time of booking. It was likely done initially because HKG-YYZ had no availability by itself and illico wanted to lock in the T-Pac segment hoping to switch the TPE segment later so he booked TPE-HKG-YYZ to get availability on HKG-YYZ which was not available by itself. The problem now is that even though SIN-HKG has separate availability HKG-YYZ was booked as a married segment and must be married to a compatible partner segment which, evidently, SIN-HKG currently is not. Since SIN-HKG currently is claimed to have availability it should be able to be added to a standalone segment so it looks like the AS automated system cannot break the marriage of the existing segments in order to add the SIN-HKG segment.

Thanks for the explanation (also to you percysmith)! In fact I did not know tpe-Hkg-yyz was married. I’m not actually that knowledgeable about the more intricate workings of airline bookings, so the explanation helps a lot. We were originally going to TPE for a big trip with extended family, but since that fell through, and we have been to TPE before, we were looking at a different destination. I will keep this in mind for next time...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
So should one at the onset break up the married segment and only book up to hkg? Will AS allow that? Ie if lax-hkg-tpe shows up but you just want the transpacific to hkg and add say DPS or BkK at a later time. What are peeps here doing? DM if not appropriate to post.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I've been waiting to book a CX redemption in J from JFK to HKG for Oct 26/27. Been tracking BA for the last 1 month and it keeps showing 3 on 26th and 4 seats on 27th (the 2pm afternoon flight, not the 1am). QF also has been showing them available, but when I called in to book with AS today, the agent could not see any availability. I've heard that AS usually sees a 1 or 2 less seats than BA/QF, so i'd have expected atleast 1 seat available. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or just out of luck?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by chimpe
I've been waiting to book a CX redemption in J from JFK to HKG for Oct 26/27. Been tracking BA for the last 1 month and it keeps showing 3 on 26th and 4 seats on 27th (the 2pm afternoon flight, not the 1am). QF also has been showing them available, but when I called in to book with AS today, the agent could not see any availability. I've heard that AS usually sees a 1 or 2 less seats than BA/QF, so i'd have expected atleast 1 seat available. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or just out of luck?
You are looking for 1J JFK-HKG and not beyond? Should be available. Hang up and call again. Tell them you had trouble booking on a previous call and ask to be transferred to the Partner Desk (even though they mostly claim it doesn't exist anymore). Try calling during normal business hours.

[KVS Tool 9.5.4/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
HKG  Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
MON  26 Oct 2020

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
CX         845     JFK   01:15     HKG   05:10 +1  359  0   YS9
CX         899     EWR   01:30     HKG   05:00 +1  359  0   YS9
CX         831     JFK   14:50     HKG   19:05 +1  77W  0   CS3  YS9

[KVS Tool 9.5.4/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
HKG  Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
TUE  27 Oct 2020

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
CX         899     EWR   01:30     HKG   05:00 +1  359  0   CS1  YS9
CX         831     JFK   14:50     HKG   19:05 +1  77W  0   CS4  YS9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.