Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:40 am

Any recent DP regarding infant seats? I believe you need to call CX to confirm, however, how much do they tend to charge, my guess is 10% of full fare?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by RyanfromMA
yes so found someone with partner desk experience and telling them 1am slot is important. however the hkg-US segment shown on AA, qantas, JAL, and BA is still not showing. She said during the holidays CX doesn't release as much.
I had a similar issue when I was trying to get a redemption from JFK-MEL. I could see JFK-HKG in J but since the agent was searching for JFK-MEL via HKG the "married segments" rule was causing them to see no J flights (over a period of 1 week). When I told them to search JFK HKG and HKG MEL separately, they were now able to see JFK-HKG availability in J, which matched QF and BA. Hope that helps!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Trying to book USA-HKG-SIN

I've been looking to book a CX award in J from SFO (or really any NA gateway city) to HKG to SIN over the last couple of weeks for March. I'm seeing 2 seats on QF available in J on 3/15 - but AS can't see it. I tried having them search SFO to SIN, as well as by segments (w/ flight #'s), but they said not available. Any tips? I'm pretty flexible, but haven't been able to find anything at all, except for SFO.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by glenny84
I've been looking to book a CX award in J from SFO (or really any NA gateway city) to HKG to SIN over the last couple of weeks for March. I'm seeing 2 seats on QF available in J on 3/15 - but AS can't see it. I tried having them search SFO to SIN, as well as by segments (w/ flight #'s), but they said not available. Any tips? I'm pretty flexible, but haven't been able to find anything at all, except for SFO.
If we postulate that the CX award inventory AS has access to matches what JL has access to then you have but one initial option in that time frame from SFO. I believe this is the only thing that you will initially be able to book. Of course it includes married segments.

[KVS Tool 9.6.0/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
SFO San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
SIN Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
SUN 15 Mar 2020

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Award Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------------
CX 873 SFO 23:55 HKG 06:10 +2 77W 0 CS7 YS9
-> CX 701 HKG 16:05 +2 BKK 18:15 +2 773 0 CS7 YS9
-> CX 619 BKK 12:45 +3 SIN 16:20 +3 359 0 CS7 YS9

There are direct HKG-SIN flights available on 3/17 that have standalone award availability but none that marry to the SFO-HKG flight (SFO-HKG is not available on that day in J with a direct HKG-SIN flight). If the above flights work for you what I would attempt is to book and ticket that itinerary and as soon as it tickets call back (within 24 hours for a free change) and without mentioning your existing itinerary ask them to search for flights from HKG-SIN on CX March 17th (the day you arrive in HKG) and they should be able to see many direct flights. Once they find the one you want tell the agent that's great because you have an existing itin that has a connection that you want to replace with this direct flight and see if they can make it happen. Odds of success: fair.

Code:
HKG Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
TUE 17 Mar 2020

CX 691 HKG 07:50 SIN 11:55 333 0 CS4 YS9
CX 739 HKG 11:30 SIN 15:40 77W 0 CS1 YS9
CX 635 HKG 15:05 SIN 19:15 333 0 CS5 YS2
CX 657 HKG 16:00 SIN 20:10 359 0 CS2 YS9
CX 715 HKG 20:00 SIN 23:55 77W 0 CS1 YS9
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:44 am

Thank you so much (really appreciate the help!). I just called - and tried to feed the agent the segments, one-by-one, and she wasn't even willing to check HKG to BKK. Said that there was no availability on the SFO-HKG portion. Tried again with another agent - same thing (she checked through Bangkok) but wasn't willing to try adding on the BKK-SIN leg. Maybe I'm doing this wrong? Might HUCA.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If we postulate that the CX award inventory AS has access to matches what JL has access to then you have but one initial option in that time frame from SFO. I believe this is the only thing that you will initially be able to book. Of course it includes married segments.

Code:
SUN 15 Mar 2020

CX 873 SFO 23:55 HKG 06:10 +2 77W 0 CS7 YS9
-> CX 701 HKG 16:05 +2 BKK 18:15 +2 773 0 CS7 YS9
-> CX 619 BKK 12:45 +3 SIN 16:20 +3 359 0 CS7 YS9

There are direct HKG-SIN flights available on 3/17 that have standalone award availability but none that marry to the SFO-HKG flight (SFO-HKG is not available on that day in J with a direct HKG-SIN flight). If the above flights work for you what I would attempt is to book and ticket that itinerary and as soon as it tickets call back (within 24 hours for a free change) and without mentioning your existing itinerary ask them to search for flights from HKG-SIN on CX March 17th (the day you arrive in HKG) and they should be able to see many direct flights. Once they find the one you want tell the agent that's great because you have an existing itin that has a connection that you want to replace with this direct flight and see if they can make it happen. Odds of success: fair.

Code:
TUE 17 Mar 2020

CX 739 HKG 11:30 SIN 15:40 77W 0 CS1 YS9
CX 635 HKG 15:05 SIN 19:15 333 0 CS5 YS2
CX 715 HKG 20:00 SIN 23:55 77W 0 CS1 YS9

Last edited by glenny84; Dec 31, 2019 at 12:53 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:41 am

Thank you so much (really appreciate the help!). I just called - and tried to feed the agent the segments, one-by-one, and she wasn't even willing to check HKG to BKK. Said that there was no availability on the SFO-HKG portion. Tried again with another agent - same thing (she checked through Bangkok) but wasn't willing to try adding on the BKK-SIN leg. Maybe I'm doing this wrong? Might HUCA.
There are quite a few earlier flight combinations in the day that maybe pushes down the results of your flight to where they don't see it. Try not mentioning HKG and ask only for SFO-SIN on CX March 15th but ask the agent to put in a search time of 23:00 (11:00 PM). If the agent does not know how to enter a time for for the search HUCA. Hopefully this will allow your flights to show in their system. Since nobody knows how crazy their system is you might also try having them search SFO-SIN on 3/16 with a time of 00:00 and see if it returns your flights on 3/15.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:04 am

There are quite a few earlier flight combinations in the day that maybe pushes down the results of your flight to where they don't see it. Try not mentioning HKG and ask only for SFO-SIN on CX March 15th but ask the agent to put in a search time of 23:00 (11:00 PM). If the agent does not know how to enter a time for for the search HUCA. Hopefully this will allow your flights to show in their system. Since nobody knows how crazy their system is you might also try having them search SFO-SIN on 3/16 with a time of 00:00 and see if it returns your flights on 3/15.
Thank you again for the advice and help! I tried three more times - had the agents put in the search times, both on 3/15 and 3/16 - and none of them were able to see any space. (Didn't mention HKG - just SFO-SIN on CX). So frustrating.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:54 am

Thank you again for the advice and help! I tried three more times - had the agents put in the search times, both on 3/15 and 3/16 - and none of them were able to see any space. (Didn't mention HKG - just SFO-SIN on CX). So frustrating.
Yes it is. I may have to revise my opinion that JL shows the same availability as AS. I would not give up. It is likely additional award space will open up as we get closer to March.

Perhaps I should mention that yesterday when I was searching I did find a couple of flights on JAL in J from North America to SIN. Those are more miles, 65k JL vs 50k CX but if that works for you that could be a possibility. How about a nice stopover in Tokyo?

ETA:
You have flexibility to leave any day in the last 2 weeks of March? I see other options (1 traveler, right?).

March 25th ORD-SIN:
Code:
ORD Chicago O'Hare Intl IL US [KORD]
WED 25 Mar 2020

CX 807 ORD 14:55 HKG 19:55 +1 77W 0 CS1 YS9
-> CX 659 HKG 01:45 +2 SIN 05:40 +2 333 0 CS1 YS9
-> CX 691 HKG 07:50 +2 SIN 11:55 +2 359 0 CS1 YS9
CX 807 ORD 14:55 HKG 19:55 +1 77W 0 CS1 YS5
-> CX 739 HKG 11:30 +2 SIN 15:40 +2 77W 0 CS1 YS5

Last edited by skimthetrees; Dec 31, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:09 pm

Thank you! I'll definitely keep on trying. I had them look for 1 seat, as well as 2. (We actually need 2). I don't mind the additional miles costs either. Focused on the SFO-SIN (not ORD-SIN) initially since that what I found on the QF site.

We're actually doing a cruise from SIN to BOM, that leaves on the 20th from SIN. We can leave earlier (as early as the 12th or 13th) if needed, but want to be in SIN by the 19th at the latest. I actually would love a stopover in Tokyo on the way there.

Yes it is. I may have to revise my opinion that JL shows the same availability as AS. I would not give up. It is likely additional award space will open up as we get closer to March.

Perhaps I should mention that yesterday when I was searching I did find a couple of flights on JAL in J from North America to SIN. Those are more miles, 65k JL vs 50k CX but if that works for you that could be a possibility. How about a nice stopover in Tokyo?

ETA:
You have flexibility to leave any day in the last 2 weeks of March? I see other options (1 traveler, right?).

March 25th ORD-SIN:
Code:
ORD Chicago O'Hare Intl IL US [KORD]
WED 25 Mar 2020

-> CX 659 HKG 01:45 +2 SIN 05:40 +2 333 0 CS1 YS9
-> CX 691 HKG 07:50 +2 SIN 11:55 +2 359 0 CS1 YS9
CX 807 ORD 14:55 HKG 19:55 +1 77W 0 CS1 YS5
-> CX 739 HKG 11:30 +2 SIN 15:40 +2 77W 0 CS1 YS5

Last edited by glenny84; Dec 31, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Awesome Contributions!

I would like to personally thank and send a "shout out " to skimthetrees for his awesome contributions to the AS forum, particularly in assiting other community members with their specific booking needs and offering alternative suggestions where opportunities exist. I am sure many will share my appreciation for his helpfulness.

James

Happy New Year to everyone, may your flights in 2020 take you to new heights, new places, new experiences and to strangers that are friends you have not yet met. Perhaps I may meet a few from the community when I am "Flying for Fun"

Cheers!
soartoday and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:59 pm

Thank you! I'll definitely keep on trying. I had them look for 1 seat, as well as 2. (We actually need 2). I don't mind the additional miles costs either. Focused on the SFO-SIN (not ORD-SIN) initially since that what I found on the QF site.

We're actually doing a cruise from SIN to BOM, that leaves on the 20th from SIN. We can leave earlier (as early as the 12th or 13th) if needed, but want to be in SIN by the 19th at the latest. I actually would love a stopover in Tokyo on the way there.
The JL I saw was probably for 1. I do see a YVR option on JL but AS cannot book it because it does not show when using a US point of sale. JL turns out to be hard around that time, perhaps because it's moving in to Sakura Season.

Of course the easiest thing if you have a bunch of miles you do not mind unloading is to book LAX/SFO to SIN direct on Singapore Airlines. 100k in J with good availability.

I see another CX routing into Japan which will not help you with a stopover but you might be able to work it into SIN if you are willing to do some work (or maybe not, you might end up wasting time and effort, I do not know if it will work). It's SFO-HKG-KIX on March 15th. Not sure if it is bookable with AS.but if it is I would probably book it (asking for only SFO-KIX on CX in J 3/15) then after the ticket is issued (should be within a few mintues) call and ask to search for HKG-SIN on March 17th (arrival day in HKG) on CX in J and there should be a few flights available. When the agent confirms availability tell them great you have an existing reservation that you would like to change out the HKG-KIX segment for HKG-SIN. I think it should be possible. Fee free change within 24 hours of booking. If the agent cannot handle the change then ask for a supervisor. If they cannot get the flight switched to SIN then you can cancel for a refund within 24 hours of booking but I hear AS does not always automatically refund the partner booking fee so you should watch for that and request the booking fee refund if they don't automatically refund it.

Note: CS2 below means 2 J award seats available. I might risk booking this if available and after booking calling back to switch HKG-KIX to HKG-SIN with the procedure mentioned above (first get the agent to search for only HKG-SIN before mentioning you have an existing reservation you want to change).

Code:
KIX Osaka Kansai Intl JP [RJBB]
SUN 15 Mar 2020

CX 873 SFO 23:55 HKG 06:10 +2 77W 0 CS2
-> CX 506 HKG 10:30 +2 KIX 15:05 +2 773 0 CS2

Options for flights HKG-SIN on March 17th:

Code:
TUE 17 Mar 2020

CX 635 HKG 15:05 SIN 19:15 333 0 CS5
soartoday likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would like to personally thank and send a "shout out " to skimthetrees for his awesome contributions to the AS forum, particularly in assiting other community members with their specific booking needs and offering alternative suggestions where opportunities exist. I am sure many will share my appreciation for his helpfulness.

James

Happy New Year to everyone, may your flights in 2020 take you to new heights, new places, new experiences and to strangers that are friends you have not yet met. Perhaps I may meet a few from the community when I am "Flying for Fun"

Cheers!
Thanks James! And thanks to all who help with advice here. Happy New Year everyone!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:41 pm

Thank you so much! I was FINALLY able to book something on CX! Will try to switch KIX to SIN tomorrow (within the 24 hour window). Your help is much appreciated! Thank you again.

The JL I saw was probably for 1. I do see a YVR option on JL but AS cannot book it because it does not show when using a US point of sale. JL turns out to be hard around that time, perhaps because it's moving in to Sakura Season.

Of course the easiest thing if you have a bunch of miles you do not mind unloading is to book LAX/SFO to SIN direct on Singapore Airlines. 100k in J with good availability.

I see another CX routing into Japan which will not help you with a stopover but you might be able to work it into SIN if you are willing to do some work (or maybe not, you might end up wasting time and effort, I do not know if it will work). It's SFO-HKG-KIX on March 15th. Not sure if it is bookable with AS.but if it is I would probably book it (asking for only SFO-KIX on CX in J 3/15) then after the ticket is issued (should be within a few mintues) call and ask to search for HKG-SIN on March 17th (arrival day in HKG) on CX in J and there should be a few flights available. When the agent confirms availability tell them great you have an existing reservation that you would like to change out the HKG-KIX segment for HKG-SIN. I think it should be possible. Fee free change within 24 hours of booking. If the agent cannot handle the change then ask for a supervisor. If they cannot get the flight switched to SIN then you can cancel for a refund within 24 hours of booking but I hear AS does not always automatically refund the partner booking fee so you should watch for that and request the booking fee refund if they don't automatically refund it.

Note: CS2 below means 2 J award seats available. I might risk booking this if available and after booking calling back to switch HKG-KIX to HKG-SIN with the procedure mentioned above (first get the agent to search for only HKG-SIN before mentioning you have an existing reservation you want to change).

Code:
KIX Osaka Kansai Intl JP [RJBB]
SUN 15 Mar 2020

CX 873 SFO 23:55 HKG 06:10 +2 77W 0 CS2
-> CX 506 HKG 10:30 +2 KIX 15:05 +2 773 0 CS2

Options for flights HKG-SIN on March 17th:

Code:
TUE 17 Mar 2020

CX 635 HKG 15:05 SIN 19:15 333 0 CS5
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:28 am

Thank you so much! I was FINALLY able to book something on CX! Will try to switch KIX to SIN tomorrow (within the 24 hour window). Your help is much appreciated! Thank you again.
You are welcome! I am so glad it worked (so far)!

If you can't get AS to switch HKG-KIX to HKG-SIN I say you take the lemons and make some lemonaide! You can get a nice 1 day trip in Japan for a reasonable number of extra miles plus costs of transportation, lodging, and activities. You cannot unfortunately get a free stopover in Japan when flying CX (only in HKG when flying CX) but the mileage cost for a ticket from Japan to SIN on CX is 22.5k in Business and 15k in Premium Economy. So for 50k (US to KIX) plus 22.5k (JP to SIN) which is a total of 72.5k/person you travel Business Class and get a nice stop in Japan. You could do it for 65k/person if you went Premium Economy from JP to SIN but for the small amount of extra miles which would get you lie-flat seats I would definitely go for Biz.

There is not great availability out of of Japan on JAL in your limited time frame but there is some limited availability on CX which matches fairly well with your trip. Nagoya (NGO) has the best availability. I think you should be able to get CX availability NGO-SIN on March 19th in either Business Class (22.5k miles) or Premium Economy (15k miles). Nagoya is in easy traveling range on the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) from Osaka or Kyoto.

Here is a good set of flights from NGO-SIN on March 19th. CS+ means there is Business Class availability and WS+ means there is Premium Economy.

[KVS Tool 9.6.0/Diamond - Awards/QF-OneWorld/Auto-OW/JP]
Code:
NGO Nagoya Metro / Chubu Centrair Intl JP = NGO NKM [RJNN]
THU 19 Mar 2020 | 2 Seats

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive St Award Availability
CX 533 NGO 09:40 HKG 13:30 0 CS+ WS+ YS-
-> CX 657 HKG 16:00 SIN 20:10 0 CS+ WS+ YS-

I have been to Kyoto before and it is amazing so with only one full day I would probably spend it there. There is an Airport Express Haruka train that will take you directly from the KIX airport to Kyoto station in Kyoto. The nice thing about the Haruka train is that it was designed with lots of extra luggage space (which most trains in Japan do not have) so no worries with large luggage. On my brief visits to Kyoto in the past I have stayed at a hotel right inside the Kyoto Station complex which makes it very easy to get in and out of Kyoto (because all trains go there and every Taxi driver even ones who don't speak English understand "Kyoto Station"). Here is where I have stayed in the past: https://www.kyotostation.com/hotel-g...kyoto-station/ .

If you arrive in KIX on the 17th you can take the Airport Express Haruka train from KIX to Kyoto station (book at the JR station in KIX - JR=Japan Rail, you can book all your JR train travel there for your trip or book more when you get to the Kyoto station JR office). Spend the 18th in Kyoto. Did I mention Kyoto is amazing?! I would probably position to NGO the evening of the 18th. I have never stopped in NGO but it looks like from Google Maps the NGO station has a Marriott Hotel in it so if you spend the night there it will be easy to catch a train the morning of the 19th to get to the NGO airport. HyperDia | Timetable and Route Search in Japan is the Go To site to check train schedules in Japan. Note the NGO airport train station name is (AFAIK) "CENTRAL JAPAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT(NGO)".

Note that the KIX airport station is called "Kansai Airport". Here is an example of the Haruka Airport Express train schedule from KIX to Kyoto:
HyperDia | SearchResult

Example of train schedule from Kyoto to Nagoya on the Shinkansen (Amazing!):
HyperDia | SearchResult

My advice when riding non Airport trains (like the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Nagoya is to book the Green Car. The Green Car is the First Class car and has bigger seats and usually less people so more room for your luggage. There is space overhead but if you have a checked bag plus carry-on you will either need to use more space in the overhead rack or at behind the last set of seats in the car there is a space for luggage but not a lot. In my limited experience on the Shinkansen I have always had room for our luggage but I always travel in the Green Car when I have luggage and the Japanese travelers don't have much luggage (they ship large luggage).

Example of hyperdia search from the downtown Nagoya Station to the NGO airport:

HyperDia | SearchResult

Tains in Japan are like clockwork. They are almost always on time. If they are 2 minutes late it becomes a news story so I would not worry much about trains being late. I would worry more about me being late to catch the train.

ETA:
Your profile says your location is in Chicago. If you need flights from ORD to SFO to position for your CX flights from SFO you can add those to your award for free if there is saver availability on AS. No non-stops available ORD-SFO at saver mileage levels on 3/15 (with stops are available) but 3/14 has an AS non-stop available which you could add to your award for no extra miles (would count as stopover in SFO which is allowed) and then you could also have a one day San Francisco vacation.

So you could have:
3/14 ORD-SFO on AS (in Coach)
3/15 day in SF
3/15 night - fly SFO-HKG-KIX (or SFO-HKG-SIN) in Business Class

All part of one award for 50k AS miles.

BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) trains run from the SFO airport to downtown SF.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jan 1, 2020 at 7:07 am
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Any recent DP regarding infant seats? I believe you need to call CX to confirm, however, how much do they tend to charge, my guess is 10% of full fare?
Bump...just got off the phone with Alaska and they told me I had to buy another award seat for an infant...!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.