Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by rickyticktick
Hello, new member here as well as new to mileage running and miles in general. I have a question about Alaska airline miles. So I was researching the other day and I noticed that you can fly business on Cathay Pacific from US to Asia (booking on Alaska Airline site) for only 60,000 Alaska Airline miles . I also noticed that a first class Emirates ticket is only 180,000 miles. Given from my research that 60,000 Alaska Airline miles are worth around 1200 dollars, and a business class seat is usually around $2000 wouldn't it make sense as a average flyer to always simply use Alaska Air miles to fly? I also noticed that you can simply "buy" Alaska Air miles from Alaska Airlines themselves. I'm wondering whether next time I travel whether I should just buy Alaska Air miles instead of actually buying through another airline.
Because of questions like this, AS has changed their allowance of non-elite members from buying miles for this specific use case.
https://storefront.points.com/mileage-plan/en-US/buy

• Your Mileage Plan account may be credited up to a maximum total of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year, whether purchased by you or gifted to you.
  • MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member accounts have no annual limit on the number of miles which may be purchased or gifted through Points.com.
Secondly, you're at the mercy of RM and when they release award space on certain flights on certain days, it is not always equal to find award space and buying a cash ticket on the exact day that you want.
jjmadison, jinglish and williwaw like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
BOA companion pass question.
Can this be done with one companion code?
1) SFO-JFK,
2) ORD-SFO,
3) SFO-OGG,
4) OGG-SFO.

If not, is this any different?
1) SFO-JFK,
2) JFK-SFO,
3) SFO-OGG,
4) OGG-SFO.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My money's on "no", but if they let you book two round trips on one companion code, please let me know.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickyticktick
So I was researching the other day and I noticed that you can fly business on Cathay Pacific from US to Asia (booking on Alaska Airline site) for only 60,000 Alaska Airline miles .
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:50 pm

Using Alaska miles to redeem cathay awards questions

A noob with redeeming Alaska miles and have a few questions... (lmk if I should be asking this somewhere else, couldnt find an alaska miles redemption thread)

Thinking about redeeming some miles for this itin and saw that it only takes 85k asia miles using the Asia Miles award calculator

SFO - HKG Cathay business
HKG - DUB Cathay business (say 6 days after the first leg)

Would that also be true for using alaska miles (as in it would be count not as two separate one way awards from A - B, B - C but more like A-C)?
If it would take less miles to book this itin with two legs, how easy is it to wait for the second leg to open up and call them up to have the second leg added to the award? Would it be guarantee that I still possess the first leg's inventory?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
A noob with redeeming Alaska miles and have a few questions... (lmk if I should be asking this somewhere else, couldnt find an alaska miles redemption thread)

Thinking about redeeming some miles for this itin and saw that it only takes 85k asia miles using the Asia Miles award calculator

SFO - HKG Cathay business
HKG - DUB Cathay business (say 6 days after the first leg)

Would that also be true for using alaska miles (as in it would be count not as two separate one way awards from A - B, B - C but more like A-C)?
If it would take less miles to book this itin with two legs, how easy is it to wait for the second leg to open up and call them up to have the second leg added to the award? Would it be guarantee that I still possess the first leg's inventory?

Thanks!
We have a dedicated thread on Cathay redemptions. Generally speaking, AS allows free stopovers on partner awards in either the partner hub (HKG) or the US gateway city (SFO), so you could have a stopover and then route anywhere they fly in Asia or Oceania for no extra miles. And you can call in later to add segments without losing what's already booked, though you'd have to pay the change fee if you don't have Gold or 75K status. But AS doesn't publish a US-Europe award chart for Cathay, so SFO-HKG-DUB would have to be two awards.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My money's on "no", but if they let you book two round trips on one companion code, please let me know.
Just a reminder that this is a Flame Free thread so sarcasm and condescension are not appropriate.

While I agree that the proposed routing invalidates a companion fare, there are many ways to enjoy two cities by booking a circle trip. Alaska's generous routings allow for some awesome possibilities too. I have traveled through the same city 3 times on a single itinerary with a companion certificate. Additionally, open Jaws on circle trips are also possible.

I have visited BOS & PSP, SJO & PVR and PHX & OGG on itineraries with a companion certificate. If your connection city is enroute (like you in SFO) a stopover in that connection is possible if routed properly. I have also done two 16K+ EQM itineraries as mini vacation mileage runs. It is also a good opportunity to use GGUs and upgrade multiple segments with one GGU each.

James in Dubai.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
BOA companion pass question.
Can this be done with one companion code?
1) SFO-JFK,
2) ORD-SFO,
3) SFO-OGG,
4) OGG-SFO.

If not, is this any different?
1) SFO-JFK,
2) JFK-SFO,
3) SFO-OGG,
4) OGG-SFO.
both fail:

We are unable to complete your request. You may only book one round trip per itinerary.

Error Code: -1588

Although it does work if you only enter the first 3 flights in both scenarios
Old May 1, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Can you let me know if this is possible?

AS companion ticket SEA/IAD/SEA. Join to UA IAD/SYR/IAD (one of the very few direct flights to SYR), with the UA IAD/SYR leg departing 1-2 hours from the arrival of AS SEA/IAD. (Not worried about the return: UA SYR/IAD is separated by 3 days from my return AS IAD/SEA flight.)

As it stands now--and I still have a few hours to change the Chase UR-booked itin without penalty--I booked 2x multi-city itins entirely with Chase UR with all legs on UA metal. Not great redemption value, especially considering I have a AS companion ticket that needs to be applied in June for future travel and I am hoping to get MVP on As for 20k BIS. I doubt I will fly UA gain this year, considering I'm exSEA.

What I'd like to know is whether interline baggage transfer are possible at IAD, including a stroller or car seat, and/or how much time/hassle I'd be signing up for if baggage transfer is not possible.

Child is >2, so I'll need 2 seats.
I'm rich in miles for AA and UR, fair in AS miles, have multiple AS companion tickets, and weak in DL.

TIA
Old May 1, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Can you let me know if this is possible?

AS companion ticket SEA/IAD/SEA. Join to UA IAD/SYR/IAD (one of the very few direct flights to SYR), with the UA IAD/SYR leg departing 1-2 hours from the arrival of AS SEA/IAD. (Not worried about the return: UA SYR/IAD is separated by 3 days from my return AS IAD/SEA flight.)

As it stands now--and I still have a few hours to change the Chase UR-booked itin without penalty--I booked 2x multi-city itins entirely with Chase UR with all legs on UA metal. Not great redemption value, especially considering I have a AS companion ticket that needs to be applied in June for future travel and I am hoping to get MVP on As for 20k BIS. I doubt I will fly UA gain this year, considering I'm exSEA.

What I'd like to know is whether interline baggage transfer are possible at IAD, including a stroller or car seat, and/or how much time/hassle I'd be signing up for if baggage transfer is not possible.

Child is >2, so I'll need 2 seats.
I'm rich in miles for AA and UR, fair in AS miles, have multiple AS companion tickets, and weak in DL.

TIA
Alaska is generally very good about interlining baggage on separate tickets. AS and UA have an interline agreement, so it's up to the agent at SEA to ensure that the bag is tagged properly.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
Alaska is generally very good about interlining baggage on separate tickets. AS and UA have an interline agreement, so it's up to the agent at SEA to ensure that the bag is tagged properly.
Thanks. Good to know. As it turns out, the arrival/departure times don't happen to line up well. Not great redemption value, but looks like I'll stick with UR on UA for all legs.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:47 pm

do partner lounges take digital card?

Has anybody used their digital card (on the app) for lounge membership and used it at a partner lounge?

Thanks
Old May 2, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Has anybody used their digital card (on the app) for lounge membership and used it at a partner lounge?

Thanks
Yes I’ve used digital card at AA AC’s.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
Yes I’ve used digital card at AA AC’s.
Thanks. I was planning on using it at CX
Old May 3, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks. I was planning on using it at CX
I hope you mean the CX lounge in SFO, as that is the only CX lounge you have access to with an AS Lounge membership. If that is the case yes it is not an issue, the staff are well aware of AS members visiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.