Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would an AS-operated, JL-marketed (booked into JL X, which is business, which would be in the first class cabin on AS) flight earn miles? Is I/P/F earning (175% + elite bonus) too much to hope for?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How would an AS-operated, JL-marketed (booked into JL X, which is business, which would be in the first class cabin on AS) flight earn miles? Is I/P/F earning (175% + elite bonus) too much to hope for?
No! If it is a revenue ticket that books into the first class cabin then you will receive the 75% COS Bonus even if the flight has a JL Codeshare flight number.

EDIT: you Elite bonus applies to the base miles of all eligible fares credited to your account.

James in Portland.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No! If it is a revenue ticket that books into the first class cabin then you will receive the 75% COS Bonus even if the flight has a JL Codeshare flight number.

EDIT: you Elite bonus applies to the base miles of all eligible fares credited to your account.

James in Portland.
I am no means an Alaska MP expert, but you’re saying that an AS flight that is booked as a JL codeshare will earn according to the AS earnings chart, not the JL earnings chart?

Or do you mean to say that as long as you book an AS-marketed flight, it doesn’t matter if it also is marketed as a JL flight—but booking under the JL flight number will earn according to the JL chart?

My understanding is that the latter is true, not the first.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in a similar situation. MVPG from last year but moved to lie-flats (status match to UA) for Hawaii and transcon.

If you have interest in more international travel, I think it's worth it for the bonus miles, and the waived change fees on award flights. No need to actually fly AS to get good value from the status (although you may as well, on shorter flights, for the miles earning) With AS being the only distance-based program left, I think that there is significant value.

I don't recommend mileage running economy-class transcons. Forget the money; they cost too much in time, comfort, and sanity. Watch out for good international premium-cabin (including PE) sale fares on partners and visit somewhere new. Get a vacation and an experience out of it. Hong Kong (on CX) , Tokyo (on JL) or London (on BA) are totally doable on a 4-day weekend from SFO, due to direct flights. Of course it also raises your target from 40k to 50k. But at least you are getting something for your time and money other than some miles.

I earned 15k EQM and 29k RDM on a $780 SFO-HKG RT in CX PE (sale) in January. I took a 4-day weekend for it. It gave me 3 days and 2 nights in HKG. Leave Thursday night (late), get some sleep on the plane, arrive ~7am Saturday morning (14hr flight + 16hr time change). Got some dim sum at the airport and headed to the hotel for an early check-in. 2 nights at the hotel and 3 days later, took a red-eye back -- left at 1am Tuesday; arrived Monday night (flight is shorter than time change). Just napped on the plane right after takeoff (~4hr of sleep) which allowed me to sleep when I got home and go to work the next day. IMO it beats the hell out of sitting in an economy seat to go back and forth across the country 3 times with no purpose.

That's my only AS earning this year to date but I still think I'll hit MVPG; maybe even 75k.
And, of course, the day after I post this, AS introduces this double miles on transcons deal making transcon mileage runs much, much better, especially if you are already gold
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:25 am

James in Portland.
I need to rethink this. Pushing back in Portland for Boston. I believe you are correct. I have done a few itineraries with native carrier flight numbers all on one marketed ticket. Let me check into it further when time permits.

James on AS30
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was able to get the itinerary without the codeshare, but it's still good to know.

I don't know why AS doesn't update their website with the "real" rules about partner codeshares.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I was able to get the itinerary without the codeshare, but it's still good to know.

I don't know why AS doesn't update their website with the "real" rules about partner codeshares.
Just to clarify, what are the "real" rules? Does an AS-operated, JL-marketed flight earn in accordance with the AS earnings chart or the JL earnings chart?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:31 pm

If you are using ITA Matrix you can add to the controls airline and codeshare to the query to limit your search results. For instance add "airline JL AS; -codeshare" This will limit your results to just Japan or Alaska Airlines and filter out any codeshares. If the pricing jumps up significantly then the native flight numbers are excluded from the marketing carriers fare.

You can create some pretty sophisticated queries. For multi-segment itineraries you can create multi-cabin queries with +cabin x where x = 1, 2 or 3 for First, Business & economy. When I am searching for EK fares I request W fares to see the price differential (which often is minimal) for the lowest class that earns 100% EQM in Mileage plan. Booking class is used in the following format F BC=W.

Remdmber to separate each command with a semi-colon ;

James in Boston
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Just to clarify, what are the "real" rules? Does an AS-operated, JL-marketed flight earn in accordance with the AS earnings chart or the JL earnings chart?
On the website, the rules for AS say that the flight must be AS-marketed to earn any miles at all (so a JL-marketed, AS-operated flight would not earn miles).

To qualify, flights must be in the range of eligible flight numbers listed above, and must be marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines, or marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by the airlines noted above. ("airlines noted above" are Alaska, Horizon, SkyWest, American, PenAir, and Qantas, for specific flight ranges)

The rules for the partners say that the flight must be marketed and operated by that partner to earn any miles at all.

In practice we know that a flight that is operated by one partner and marketed by another will earn miles according to the operating carrier's chart. Those are the "real" rules.

As for flights that are marketed by a partner but operated by Alaska, I don't know. That's what I'm asking. I'm guessing that the answer isn't "earns no miles", though, which is what the website implies.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:26 pm

On the website, the rules for AS say that the flight must be AS-marketed to earn any miles at all (so a JL-marketed, AS-operated flight would not earn miles).

To qualify, flights must be in the range of eligible flight numbers listed above, and must be marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines, or marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by the airlines noted above. ("airlines noted above" are Alaska, Horizon, SkyWest, American, PenAir, and Qantas, for specific flight ranges)

The rules for the partners say that the flight must be marketed and operated by that partner to earn any miles at all.

In practice we know that a flight that is operated by one partner and marketed by another will earn miles according to the operating carrier's chart. Those are the "real" rules.

As for flights that are marketed by a partner but operated by Alaska, I don't know. That's what I'm asking. I'm guessing that the answer isn't "earns no miles", though, which is what the website implies.
I also know that native EK operated flights marketed by another AS partner post automatically to Mileage Plan.

If you have AS operated flights marketed by JL whether AS or JL flight numbers I would be pretty confident in thinking they would post to Mileage Plan by the AS charts. It is always the operating carrier. In this case, the codeshares are Alaska's anyways. AS codeshares on AA post as AS flights so the marketing/operating carrier doesn't come into play. If I wasn't heading to DOH tonight, I would hop on a JL marketed AS flight and let you know....

James in Boston
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also know that native EK operated flights marketed by another AS partner post automatically to Mileage Plan.

If you have AS operated flights marketed by JL whether AS or JL flight numbers I would be pretty confident in thinking they would post to Mileage Plan by the AS charts. It is always the operating carrier. In this case, the codeshares are Alaska's anyways. AS codeshares on AA post as AS flights so the marketing/operating carrier doesn't come into play. If I wasn't heading to DOH tonight, I would hop on a JL marketed AS flight and let you know....

James in Boston
But how do they determine the fare class?

In the case of partner->partner, there is another thread that indicates they just go by whatever letter the marketed carrier has, on the operating partner chart. If the letter doesn't exist on the operating carrier, you are SOL.

If partner->AS is the same, that would not be good. JAL X (business) booked, resulting in a first class seat on Alaska metal. But are they going to say that it earns according to X on AS... ie, basic economy (no CoS bonus)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:13 pm

But how do they determine the fare class?

In the case of partner->partner, there is another thread that indicates they just go by whatever letter the marketed carrier has, on the operating partner chart. If the letter doesn't exist on the operating carrier, you are SOL.

If partner->AS is the same, that would not be good. JAL X (business) booked, resulting in a first class seat on Alaska metal. But are they going to say that it earns according to X on AS... ie, basic economy (no CoS bonus)
This isn't about a mapping of one partner to another partner. This is an AS flight. When JL markets an AS Codeshares beyond their US gateways they are booking it into F, P or Now I.

This is why I stay away from codeshares, unless they are Alaska's.

James on QR to DOH.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Hey guys, appreciate what appears to be a friendly forum. I am a long time WN elite who status matched to 75k and have enjoyed the status so far.

Question, I would like to fly 4 of us TPA-SEA this summer, all in First. No specific date preference as long as it is the lone TPA-SEA nonstop each day. I have 75k status, the four gold guest upgrade codes, 100k miles, and the companion offer.

I would be grateful if one of our resident AS gurus might suggest the best strategy for securing four first class seats on the same flight, with minimal cash outlay. If this is not really possible, the kids can sit in back

I consider myself a fairly seasoned flyer, but WN has gotten so simple to the point of boredom, that I am having trouble understanding what I can and can't do with my Alaska status and currency.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Forgot to mention, I have the credit card if that matters, and only looking to fly one way TPA-SEA
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Main challenge is finding 4 U space if you want to use GGU certs or miles. Companion fare coupon won’t help with F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.