Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by williwaw
Main challenge is finding 4 U space if you want to use GGU certs or miles. Companion fare coupon won’t help with F.
Not for buying U outright, but it would for a GGU-eligible fare. I want to say fare class-based, at-booking upgrades are companion eligible too; if so, an H fare and no GGUs would work as well.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If F is must-have, pay for it.

If F is nice-to-have, buy the cheapest economy seats and set an expertflyer alert for U space. If you don't have EF, subscribe ($99/year) or just keep checking the AS website for U space. When U opens up, call in, upfare to K, apply a GGU (of course if U is available when you purchase, use them immediately)

Inside 5 days you should be upgraded automatically with a companion if 2U opens (unless other 75k are ahead of you on the list).

4U on one flight is most likely going to be tough.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Also be aware of what equipment you're using, which you really won't know until a few days out. If its a pmVX Airbus, your chances of getting F seats is essentially cut in half as there are only 8 F seats versus the pmAS Boeing which have up to 16 F seats. But, I believe the longer-haul flights, especially to SEA are being restricted to Boeings, so this may be a moot point.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Hey guys, appreciate what appears to be a friendly forum. I am a long time WN elite who status matched to 75k and have enjoyed the status so far.

Question, I would like to fly 4 of us TPA-SEA this summer, all in First. No specific date preference as long as it is the lone TPA-SEA nonstop each day. I have 75k status, the four gold guest upgrade codes, 100k miles, and the companion offer.

I would be grateful if one of our resident AS gurus might suggest the best strategy for securing four first class seats on the same flight, with minimal cash outlay. If this is not really possible, the kids can sit in back

I consider myself a fairly seasoned flyer, but WN has gotten so simple to the point of boredom, that I am having trouble understanding what I can and can't do with my Alaska status and currency.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I picked some random dates in EF and on the third try I found 4U and 2A open on 8/7/19 AS 523, 3U and 2A the next day. So it looks like it could work. You could make it work with just the GGU on 8/7.

Last edited by williwaw; Apr 3, 2019 at 10:46 am
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But how do they determine the fare class?

In the case of partner->partner, there is another thread that indicates they just go by whatever letter the marketed carrier has, on the operating partner chart. If the letter doesn't exist on the operating carrier, you are SOL.

If partner->AS is the same, that would not be good. JAL X (business) booked, resulting in a first class seat on Alaska metal. But are they going to say that it earns according to X on AS... ie, basic economy (no CoS bonus)
Here is a list of all 52 city pairs that JL has codeshares for on AS. Even my city is listed.

James in Doha
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Thanks everyone, this is incredibly helpful info and well beyond what I expected. Cheers and hope to see you all on an AS flight soon (in F of course)
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Any data points regarding a purchased SQ (standard) premium economy ticket [upgraded to business with KrisFlyer miles] that is credited to Mileage Plan?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by afrugal1
Any data points regarding a purchased SQ (standard) premium economy ticket [upgraded to business with KrisFlyer miles] that is credited to Mileage Plan?
In terms of mileage credit? You're going to get credited according to the underlying, purchased premium economy fare bucket.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Yes, thank you. I just mean any issues upgrading with SQ's program and then having flight credited to AS.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
In terms of mileage credit? You're going to get credited according to the underlying, purchased premium economy fare bucket.
Probably! Data points are always useful though.

I was very surprised to hear on another thread that an economy ticket on FI, upgraded (through a fairly cheap bid) to Saga (business) Class, credited as a purchased Saga Class flight. Still not sure if that was a one-off or if it always works like that.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:21 pm

I have the following reservation, in business class on Condor bought for 55000 miles:
Alaska - Seattle [already flown, stopover] - Frankfurt

I am currently in Seattle, with the first segment already flown. I cannot take the second segment anymore, which is flying out in a few days. Under the official rules, I am not entitled to any refund of any miles on a partially flown flight, but it really stings that I will be paying 55k miles for basically a flight from Alaska to Seattle. I also cannot reschedule this to another date due to other obligations, so really would have to cancel.

While not officially allowed, what avenue would give me the best chance to help me recoup some miles back if I ask nicely? Twitter, phone, email through customer cares etc? Send a request through all channels? Specifically - if someone was in a similar situation of having to cancel and forfeit miles but got a positive response some way I'd like to know before I start trying.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Sorry about the situation. No experience I would direct message (dm) via twitter and not wait. Give them as much a chance as possible to sell the seat you won't be able to use.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:42 am

On int'l mileageplan tickets is a connection allowed up to 12 hours or 23 hours 59 mins?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
On int'l mileageplan tickets is a connection allowed up to 12 hours or 23 hours 59 mins?
A connection of up to 23H 59M is a layover and fine on AS redemptions. 24H or more is a stopover. AS awards allow for a stopover at the gateway. That can be in the US or at the International gateway. Are you looking to maximize your time in an intermediate city enroute to your final destination without using a stopover? You could have multiple layovers but one 1 stopover on the same itinerary.

James in Kigali.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Inflight Receipt Delay?

Has anyone experienced delays in being charged for an inflight purchase? I've been unable to pull a receipt for my meal I purchased on 4/1, and I finally figured out that it's because the charge hasn't hit my card yet.

At this point I'll just submit my expense report without that, but I was wondering if this is a fluke or if anyone else has seen delays of up to a week for the charge to process. And just to clarify, I don't even see it pending either. Maybe it's just an AS error in my favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.