Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

A new year and a new thread.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What happens if you reserve food while you're booked in coach, and then get bumped up to first class? Do you get a refund or are you just out the money?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
What happens if you reserve food while you're booked in coach, and then get bumped up to first class? Do you get a refund or are you just out the money?
​​​​​​​When I've reserved food recently I didn't have to pay until it was delivered to me on board.
Eurynom0s, mkritzell and FCFlyer77 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Like the previous poster said, you don’t pay until you get the food. Even if you don’t get upgraded, you can change your mind and decline the food without penalty.
Eurynom0s and mkritzell like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by williwaw
​​​​​​​When I've reserved food recently I didn't have to pay until it was delivered to me on board.
Originally Posted by twitch76

Like the previous poster said, you don’t pay until you get the food. Even if you don’t get upgraded, you can change your mind and decline the food without penalty.
Thanks, I didn't realize you don't pay until you're on board.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Last time I did it, they offered me to take the meal after getting upgraded... if i provided a credit card
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
They always ask if I want it, or the F meal.

But... I don't pay for food anymore on AS aircraft. Haven't tried that line yet. If it was the cheeseburger however...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Various
Please move this to the Sticky section, and let the 2018 thread fade/Sunset.
jinglish and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
They always ask if I want it, or the F meal.

But... I don't pay for food anymore on AS aircraft. Haven't tried that line yet. If it was the cheeseburger however...
Cheeseburger? Is there ever hot food in coach on AS? I don't usually buy food on planes (better food in the airport) but the few times I've been hungry and wanted to buy something it's always been the choice of a cold sandwich or a cheese plate.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Cheeseburger? Is there ever hot food in coach on AS? I don't usually buy food on planes (better food in the airport) but the few times I've been hungry and wanted to buy something it's always been the choice of a cold sandwich or a cheese plate.
There was hot food on longer routes up until it was standardized with the oven less coach galley of the VX Airbii last year.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AS did offer hot meals on longer flights, but it disappeared (or hasn't but will soon?) because the Airbuses don't have ovens in the Y galley.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Hi all: I'm a regular DL flyer. Flying AS tomorrow on a short hop (415 miles). At least according to the seat map, F is wide open (I know that may not mean it is actually all open). I was not offered a $29 upgrade at OLCI. Called AS and they said that they will be sold at the airport. Is this true? Do they ever offer them online at any point if they were not offered at T-24? And if at the airport, how early would you advise I arrive?

To me, this seems especially worth it because I will have to pay $25 to check luggage, so I'd much rather pay $29 to sit in F.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Hi all: I'm a regular DL flyer. Flying AS tomorrow on a short hop (415 miles). At least according to the seat map, F is wide open (I know that may not mean it is actually all open). I was not offered a $29 upgrade at OLCI. Called AS and they said that they will be sold at the airport. Is this true? Do they ever offer them online at any point if they were not offered at T-24? And if at the airport, how early would you advise I arrive?

To me, this seems especially worth it because I will have to pay $25 to check luggage, so I'd much rather pay $29 to sit in F.
Upgrades (complimentary or paid) require U inventory, which apparently isn't open. You can recheck for U space (and recheck in online at any point) via a tool like ExpertFlyer or a dummy booking on alaskaair.com and select an upgrade type (really doesn't matter which one, just look for a white F in a blue box if U space is available).

Paid upgrades are supposed to be offered only after the waitlist has been cleared (which may be as late as T-2 or even at boarding), although you might luck upon a rogue agent either at the ticket counter or at the gate who will bypass the list to sell an upgrade. Without seeing the waitlist (which only shows checked in passengers), no way to figure if there's a chance of being offered a paid upgrade.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
I have two bookings on the same Icelandair flight and want to make sure I don't mess anything up canceling one of them.

A few months back, I made an award booking for an Icelandair flight (GLA to SEA). Then, a couple weeks ago, I found and booked an amazing deal on Saga class for the same flight.

So, as of right now, our family has 2x bookings on the same flight, one booked with AS award miles into economy, the other booked directly through Icelandair in Saga.

I need to call Alaska to cancel the economy award booking. Before I do that, is there anything I need to be aware of? E.g., when I call, should I let the agent know what's going on, to make sure our paid Saga class seats aren't accidentally canceled? Or am I worrying unduly?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by atourgates
I have two bookings on the same Icelandair flight and want to make sure I don't mess anything up canceling one of them.

A few months back, I made an award booking for an Icelandair flight (GLA to SEA). Then, a couple weeks ago, I found and booked an amazing deal on Saga class for the same flight.

So, as of right now, our family has 2x bookings on the same flight, one booked with AS award miles into economy, the other booked directly through Icelandair in Saga.

I need to call Alaska to cancel the economy award booking. Before I do that, is there anything I need to be aware of? E.g., when I call, should I let the agent know what's going on, to make sure our paid Saga class seats aren't accidentally canceled? Or am I worrying unduly?
No need to tell them. They'll cancel via the confirmation and/or ticket number. It should be an automated process without requiring a human to manually remove you from the flight. If anything, it'll just add to confusion on the agent's part.

Unless the miles are from a Gold/75K or you booked prior to June 5 (and it's still more than 60 days from departure) there will be a $125 cancellation fee per person. You should be able to just cancel it online from your account without calling in, unless there's a potential waiver situation (such as a schedule change or such).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.