Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by whitf00t
update - called in and they gave me the return and the bonus miles, so all in all worked out well.

2nd question though - my girlfriend was on British Airways basic economy on the way to Europe and they said they couldn’t give Alaska credit for that - but they could for American basic economy on the way back? Do I HUCA? I feel like that’s incorrect. EDIT It was, however, an AA marketed and coded flight by AA if that has any effect.
AA B fare isn't listed on the partner earning chart, so getting miles (and 100% of them!) might indeed be a mistake. What's the fare code on your gf's BA flight? Last time I checked, BA basic economy tickets (at least some) are eligible for mileage credits.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure if there is a specific Alaska Lounge thread but I couldn't find it.

With the new lounge being built in SFO and my new 75k status I'm considering buying a membership. But I'm not completely clear on the entry requirements for guests.

The webpage says:

Members may purchase a day pass for additional traveling companions, or for guests and family not traveling with the member, at a reduced rate of $25 USD per person.

This seems to imply that there is a $25 entry fee for guests not traveling with the member. But then a few lines later it says:

Members are welcome to bring immediate family (partner and children under the age of 21) or as many as two guests at no extra charge

This does not include a requirement that the guests be traveling with the member.

So, is there a requirement that guests be traveling with the member to gain access for free? And, if so, how is "traveling with" defined? Same flight? Same PNR?

A common case here is, my friend and I each (separately) book our own tickets on the same flight. A less common use case might be that my friend and I both happen to be at the airport at the same time, for different flights.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So, is there a requirement that guests be traveling with the member to gain access for free? And, if so, how is "traveling with" defined? Same flight? Same PNR?
Yes, for free access. Traveling with would be you are physically present in the lounge (same day boarding pass requirement would also apply, may not be checked) when they enter. No requirement to be on the same flight or even flying AS, and they can meet you at the lounge after you first enter (just let the concierge know and they'll facilitate it for you).

You can use your complimentary 75K passes or pay the discounted member rate for day passes for a third or more guest with you -or- use either of those for your friend/family when you're not traveling.
VegasGambler and PaperGlider like this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Ritz $100 Airfare Credit on Alaska

There is an orphan Ritz Carlton credit card which gives a $100 domestic airfare credit when booking 2 domestic roundtrips. https://www.visadiscountair.com/ritzcarltoncard/

Does anyone have any experience with how it works on Alaska Airlines if you need to cancel or change the reservation? Specifically, if we are both MVP Gold/75K, so we have free cancel and change privileges, do those extend to the tickets purchased through this program? How do you handle cancel or change? Does the Visa program subsidize the fare in a way that it looks like full fare to Alaska?

I have only used it a few times and I have not had need to make any changes, but I am considering some speculative bookings, so I need to know how the cancel benefit works. Thanks

I also posted this on a thread for the Ritz credit card, but I don't know if folks there have Alaska experience, so I thought I would ask here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31882183-post3314.html )
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by seacarl
Does anyone have any experience with how it works on Alaska Airlines if you need to cancel or change the reservation? Specifically, if we are both MVP Gold/75K, so we have free cancel and change privileges, do those extend to the tickets purchased through this program? How do you handle cancel or change? Does the Visa program subsidize the fare in a way that it looks like full fare to Alaska?
Take a look at

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...hange-fee.html

Looks like it might answer some of your questions
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Take a look at

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...hange-fee.html

Looks like it might answer some of your questions
Thank you - I was looking for something like that. It doesn't sound like making any changes will be easy. I do have the AS PNR and I would think that my CXL benefits should apply... But it may not be worth the hassles.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:38 pm

Do MVPG miles keep their status when the status-holder loses it? I.E. if I, current MVPG book an award with my miles now, will I be able to change/cancel in 2020 for free when I no longer have status? Or do the miles lose, on booked trips, lose their status when I do?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Do MVPG miles keep their status when the status-holder loses it? I.E. if I, current MVPG book an award with my miles now, will I be able to change/cancel in 2020 for free when I no longer have status? Or do the miles lose, on booked trips, lose their status when I do?
Your status at the date of the change or cancellation determines fee waivers. Without status or MVP at that time, you would have to pay the $125 fee to redeposit your miles. It works both ways. If you booked as an MVP and later quailied for MVPG, you would bebefit from the fee waiver if you wanted to change or cancel after you reach the new status.

James
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel
And for MMers too. Or at least they used.

For MVP/Gold, just use one of these for a bag tag

https://www.amazon.com/Slotted-Punch...dp/B07TYS9T6C/
Haha! Only 2 left in stock! FlyerTalk members making a run on Amazon!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by TheycallmeSkillet
Ok, I'm counting on the 'flame free' verbage in the title...
With AS you get a new membership card and luggage tags at every MP milestone, MVP, MVPGold, MVPGold 75K etc...Does such a thing exist for Million Mile status?
My understanding is that they no longer send out membership cards. We used to get MVP etc cards each year when achieving status. no Longer,( did use them to make luggage tags)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.