Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by osubeavers01

Can’t you just pull up your AL card on the Alaska app? That’s what I usually do for the United partner lounge at DCA. I show the front desk my phone with the Alaska lounge card and hold out my paper boarding pass and ask which one they want first. Sometimes they need both or sometimes just one or the other; it seems to change each trip
I usually have everything on my phone and with the multitude of passes and BPs I have it’s hard to find without scrolling or going directly to the app. So I find it easier to give the physical card along with my mobile BP.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Hi All,

I have an upcoming CX flight that I want to credit to AS.

At the same time considering to upgrade using Asia Miles from Business to First. After doing so, will I still be able to credit to AS?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I want to book a JL award from US to asia right at the window. But the connecting flight tokyo-asia will be the next day so will not be available when the US-tokyo is. Is there any good strategy for avoiding the $125 change fee in this situation? I was thinking to book the first flight maybe 10 mins after window opens, then the next day book the connecting flight right at the window?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:59 am

(I've posted in the AS JL booking thread too but this thread seems to be a bit more active)

Hi all,

I've been looking at flights YYC-TYO end of Sep/early Oct and I can't seem to find the route that goes through JFK. Does anyone know why that is?
I know for sure that route exists since if I'm searching like say Feburary it pops up and if I search directly for JFK-TYO flights, I can find them in that period (late Sept/early Oct). Is there something I'm unaware of?

Not that I need to go through this route, but I'm just a bit confused as to why this is.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by minghaol
(I've posted in the AS JL booking thread too but this thread seems to be a bit more active)

Hi all,

I've been looking at flights YYC-TYO end of Sep/early Oct and I can't seem to find the route that goes through JFK. Does anyone know why that is?
I know for sure that route exists since if I'm searching like say Feburary it pops up and if I search directly for JFK-TYO flights, I can find them in that period (late Sept/early Oct). Is there something I'm unaware of?

Not that I need to go through this route, but I'm just a bit confused as to why this is.
its either backtracking or a saver space issue.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
its either backtracking or a saver space issue.
Thank you for the reply. Is the saver space issue a website issue then?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I want to book a JL award from US to asia right at the window. But the connecting flight tokyo-asia will be the next day so will not be available when the US-tokyo is. Is there any good strategy for avoiding the $125 change fee in this situation? I was thinking to book the first flight maybe 10 mins after window opens, then the next day book the connecting flight right at the window?
You *should* be able to add legs onto the award ticket without incurring the change fee - I recently was able to accomplish just that when adding a domestic segment to my longhaul JL tickets (3) in December. YMMV.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MVPG Status benefits on CX trip?

I took advantage of the CX black friday sale to buy a SFO-HKG round trip in premium economy. I attached my Mileage Plan number. Do I get anything in terms of in-flight or in-airport benefits for being MVP Gold? (Of course I know about the 100% bonus to base miles earned)

I notice that my boarding pass has my AS number on it, but, under "tier", it says "AS/-" Is that expected for a non-alliance partner, or should it say "AS/MVPG" or something like that? Does it matter?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do I get anything in terms of in-flight or in-airport benefits for being MVP Gold?
Zip.
safari ari likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I took advantage of the CX black friday sale to buy a SFO-HKG round trip in premium economy. I attached my Mileage Plan number. Do I get anything in terms of in-flight or in-airport benefits for being MVP Gold? (Of course I know about the 100% bonus to base miles earned)

I notice that my boarding pass has my AS number on it, but, under "tier", it says "AS/-" Is that expected for a non-alliance partner, or should it say "AS/MVPG" or something like that? Does it matter?
Nothing, as noted. Here's the (small) list of partners w/ any benefits for AS elites, mostly lounge access.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Wide ranging question but just booked CX F flight sfo to HGK and wondering where some of the add-on places I can extend that ticket to for extra 5K miles. Is it anywhere CX flies as long as it keeps going the same way and is a non-stop? But a different ticket to Australia? What about Bhutan, Bali or New zealand my first choice?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by tobikosan
Wide ranging question but just booked CX F flight sfo to HGK and wondering where some of the add-on places I can extend that ticket to for extra 5K miles. Is it anywhere CX flies as long as it keeps going the same way and is a non-stop? But a different ticket to Australia? What about Bhutan, Bali or New zealand my first choice?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...019-later.html
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobikosan
This is not really specific to CX. Awards are booked point to point, but one stopover is generally free. You can look at the award chart to see the cost of getting from point A to point B.

CX from North America to anywhere in Asia in F is 70k miles. So, for example, SFO - HKG costs 70k miles, but so does SFO - HKG (stop) HKG - BKK. In a sense you are getting the HKG - BKK flight "for free". North America - New Zealand is 80k though. You can see the costs of other destinations on the award chart. If it's not on the award chart you can't book an award there (even if CX flies there). This is generally true for all partners, with a couple of exceptions.

It has to be all on one ticket. If you have already booked SFO - HKG and want to add on a HKG - AKL segment, it will cost you a $125 change fee (waived if MVPG or higher, or within 24 hr of booking) + 10k miles (80k - 70k) + any additional taxes and fees that the extra segment adds.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Follow-up to all the partner award questions... if an MVPG75K has a partner award booked with e.g. BA, when is the cancellation deadline for refund of the miles/surcharges?
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Alaska just cancelled SFO-LAX 6am flight tomorrow morning (7.5 hours ahead) quoting Air Traffic Control.
They put me in a later flight but I need to be in LA before 9am so it doesn't work.
This is awfully frustrating.

All other airlines leaving for LAX around 6am are fine. Delta, SW, AA.
These are about $135 more expensive now than when we booked our AS.

How should I approach Alaska about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.