Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by vji
Booking an intl. award ticket for my friend with my miles. I am gold, he is not. Will I incur cancellation fees past 24 hours?
If you book from the MVP Gold's account then you are entitled to free cancellations, except the booking/partner fee, even if you book a ticket for someone else.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I haven’t flown AS since AA and AS went their separate ways. Previously I would fly AS, but credit AA and get the elite benefits, but alas no more (I miss those direct SAN-MCO flights to visit one of my customers).

I have a few flights planned on AS this year. First one is booked in F and as that is booked as AS marketed, there is no possibility of crediting to AA as the AA marketed flight was 2x the price of the AS marketed. The second flight would be in Y and the price was the same whether purchased on 001 stock, or on 027 stock. If I book on 001 stock, I can at least realize AA EQD, EQM and EQS and receive some miles in return, but I have a few questions regarding upgrades. When I previously flew and used 027 stock (but credited to AA) I was sometimes offered a paid upgrade to first. Is this still possible on a 001 stock ticket? On 027 stock, the ticket books into R, but on 001, it books into O, which is not used by AS. Also, if I pre-purchase a seat in Premium, if I buy the F upgrade if its available, is the Premium seat fee refundable? The Premium FAQ states that moving from Premium to another seat in the cabin does not qualify, nor does a free upgrade to F, but nothing about a paid upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Correct, CX and JL only partners in that list. Some AA flights still earn (international flights, and code shares with AS, see details), though they'll credit as partner earning w/ higher thresholds for status. No minimum AS metal segments, though benefits of status outside of bonus miles earned are pretty much nothing (short of some international partner lounge access) on partner metal.

Helpful Companion Fare Links:
Alaska Companion Fare FAQ
A Blogger's "Complete Guide" with even more details (some a bit outdated, but generally pretty helpful/accurate)
I flew AS6543 (AA1335) PHX-SJC last month. I purchase it as a one-way for 2 Pax on the same PNR. I was able to select seats in the Main Cabin via AS as it showed the AA seat map. Once completed, I went back to check seating again and noticed that the AA MCE seats could be selected for Elites for no charge. I moved us (75K ×2) into MCE at the exit row without fee. When I went to AA the selected seats were reflected on their seat map. Just a heads up to check if you have status and booking the AS codeshare.

The QF lounge access for MVPG+ is a nice benefit too. You can access all their lounges as long as you are flying QF (class does not matter) If you are flying domestically, you gain access to Qantas Club while if you are flying internationally you gain access to the Qantas Business lounge. I spent about 5 hours in the Qantas Lounge at HKG waiting for a flight booked in Y to Sydney. I have also been in the lounges in MEL, SYD & BNE too all on AS Status.

James
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Have another newbie question.
If I fly AS partners, how do I set up to credit my AS account? Can I do it on a flight by flight basis (vs globally)? For example: I fly CX888. This flight I want to credit to AS account. When I fly CX663 I want to credit this flight to my AA account.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by safari ari
If you book from the MVP Gold's account then you are entitled to free cancellations, except the booking/partner fee, even if you book a ticket for someone else.
I believe it works the other way around too if the traveler has status -- booked a ticket out of my dad's 75K account last year for a MVPG family member, whereas this year my dad is only MVP (no waived cancellation fees). We went to cancel the ticket earlier this week and were not charged a cancellation fee, presumably because the traveler is still MVPG
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I know there are a lot of threads talking about GGUs and their usability (of lack thereof), but wasn't sure where would be best to pose this specific question so I figured I'd start here. I know U space is hard to come by on the transcons, but wanted to see if folks have had luck with U opening up for SEA/PHL and PHL/SEA flights? FWIW this is for travel in May and on somewhat non-peak travel days (Saturday and Tuesday). I booked the eligible fares and have set up EF alerts but wasn't sure what to expect for this route given that it's only a 1x daily flight.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Have another newbie question.
If I fly AS partners, how do I set up to credit my AS account? Can I do it on a flight by flight basis (vs globally)? For example: I fly CX888. This flight I want to credit to AS account. When I fly CX663 I want to credit this flight to my AA account.

Thanks in advance.
Assuming the flights are part of the same reservation, the easiest way is to just not attach a frequent flyer number to that and then submit your boarding passes and e-ticket to each carrier for manual crediting after the fact. But doing so will mean you won't get any elite benefits you'd be entitled to because of AA status.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
Assuming the flights are part of the same reservation, the easiest way is to just not attach a frequent flyer number to that and then submit your boarding passes and e-ticket to each carrier for manual crediting after the fact. But doing so will mean you won't get any elite benefits you'd be entitled to because of AA status.
Thanks for your chiming in!
My question is more generic in nature. Wanting to know how to individually (per flight) to credit selective account (AS or AA or others). I do want to do it in such a way so that I can leverage my AA and AS status to access various bennies.
Upon further reading on AS web site, I think I answer my own question. Seems like I have to call each partners by the phone # listed. For JL, there is a web link to add AS FF#.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I know there are a lot of threads talking about GGUs and their usability (of lack thereof), but wasn't sure where would be best to pose this specific question so I figured I'd start here. I know U space is hard to come by on the transcons, but wanted to see if folks have had luck with U opening up for SEA/PHL and PHL/SEA flights? FWIW this is for travel in May and on somewhat non-peak travel days (Saturday and Tuesday). I booked the eligible fares and have set up EF alerts but wasn't sure what to expect for this route given that it's only a 1x daily flight.
I never have issues using my GGUs, with flexibily of course. Last week I booked JFK-PDX-SEA-PHX which I am flying tomorrow. All three segments had U space available and since the connection time between the flights is <= 4hrs, 1 GGU upgraded all of them.

Looking for tomorrow, there is U space available on the 4:55 pm flight JFK-SJC.

I have redeemed many GGUs in conjunction with companion certificates but only if I can confirm immediate upgrades at time of purchase. One thing I never do is pay additional money to purchase an eligible fare if I can't. Sometimes, however, the cheapest fare may already be an eligible fare so you don't really have an option.

In your case, I would have purchased the lowest non-Saver fare. You can still set your EF Alerts but I would periodically do manual checks for U space. I have found U and applied a GGU before receiving the EF Alert. Also, If others are looking for U on the same flight, U availability may be taken before you are able to act.

Even if you do not have status for a fee waiver, AS will allow an upfare without a change fee. If and when you get the EF Alert you can call AS, upfare and apply your GGU. Since you can't waitlist a GGU, this is much better than paying more for an eligible fare and U space never opening up.

James
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Just another data point for you, I had U space open up on my PDX-DCA flight for the first week of March. Its a pretty elite heavy flight and I assumed they were conservative with U space. But F was totally empty (and I am still the only one up front as of today.) Was pleasantly surprised and the upfare was only $20. I did use EF to track it. Also snagged two U spaces with GGU on CHS-SEA at time of purchase for next week on a Wednesday.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by williwaw
Just another data point for you, I had U space open up on my PDX-DCA flight for the first week of March.
I'm flying SEA-DCA the first week of April on an instant upgrade MVP fare so this gives me hope or some U space. Not holding my breath, of course, even if it opens up I doubt I'm at the top of the list, but you never know.

Thanks for the DP.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
How long does an SQ flight take to credit to MP? I had a flight a few days ago and still nothing. Someone else traveling with me credited to UA which already posted (within *A so that is unique I guess). Any ideas?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JHake10
How long does an SQ flight take to credit to MP? I had a flight a few days ago and still nothing. Someone else traveling with me credited to UA which already posted (within *A so that is unique I guess). Any ideas?
There have been some recent discussions in this thread.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that partner mileage posting tends to get batched.

I had a round-trip to HKG (on CX, with AS number attached to the res) and the outbound and inbound flights (4 days apart) posted at the same time, 2 days after I got back. It was all automatic.

So the time to post probably varies depending if your flight was early or late in the wait between batches.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that partner mileage posting tends to get batched.

I had a round-trip to HKG (on CX, with AS number attached to the res) and the outbound and inbound flights (4 days apart) posted at the same time, 2 days after I got back. It was all automatic.

So the time to post probably varies depending if your flight was early or late in the wait between batches.
I believe its Tuesday. My first SQ flight on Thursday posted Tuesday. I left SIN on Sunday and it hasn't posted yet so i'm expecting Tuesday (or Monday since the next one is not a holiday)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.