Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly2run
The website is still showing U availability for tomorrow (dark blue F icon on the booking page). When I called, the agent said that I wouldn't be upgraded by the processor unless saver F award space opened up since I'm on an award ticket, even though she confirmed that two U spots were open. I thought being in the upgrade window with U availability would be enough as 75K, but the agent told me otherwise. I was interested in the feedback here since her response seems to be contradicted by the upgrade rules on the website, which lists W as the last upgrade-able fare class. Since it looks like the F cabin on my flight is only half full (4 out of 8 seats selected on an Airbus), I'll take my chances that at least one of those seats will still be available at the gate in the morning.
Interesting, I have been upgraded on a W fare out of LAX to PVR before as a 75K on the final leg of a JL F award with a 2 month stopover in JFK. Looking back at my itinerary and emails, I see that I was upgraded and an email confirmation was sent out at 1:30 am for a 10:50 am departure.

Keep in mind that in order to use U space, you need to be flying on an eligible fare. I don't think saver W would be eligible for upgrade with U space and since no A space is available, you sit and wait for a complimentary upgrade. Hopefully the processor will run and you are upgraded overnight. With 2U, 4 unassigned seats and you #1 on the waitlist, it does look promising.

James
Old May 17, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by fly2run
The website is still showing U availability for tomorrow (dark blue F icon on the booking page). When I called, the agent said that I wouldn't be upgraded by the processor unless saver F award space opened up since I'm on an award ticket, even though she confirmed that two U spots were open. I thought being in the upgrade window with U availability would be enough as 75K, but the agent told me otherwise. I was interested in the feedback here since her response seems to be contradicted by the upgrade rules on the website, which lists W as the last upgrade-able fare class. Since it looks like the F cabin on my flight is only half full (4 out of 8 seats selected on an Airbus), I'll take my chances that at least one of those seats will still be available at the gate in the morning.
That is a bonkers level of wrong. Call again and talk to someone else.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
That is a bonkers level of wrong. Call again and talk to someone else.
Yes, I agree! When the upgrade processor runs, the upgrade should happen. I think the poster was hoping to be upgraded before then on the strength of U space availability and 75K status. Saver W would not be an eligible fare to do so. U space upgrades requires a revenue ticket in Y, S, B, M or H for a 75K or K for anyone with a GGU. At booking, an instant upgrade to F is possible with an full-pop Z economy award but it is unclear on the AS website if that requires U or A inventory.

James
Old May 18, 2019, 1:27 am

I placed and an order for miles about 36 hours ago but I still have not received an email nor are there any miles in my account.
I was directed to a "thank you for your purchase" screen with a confimation number so I know they received my order. How long does it take to process when buying miles? anyone know?
Old May 18, 2019, 11:48 am

I read somewhere on this forum that you can SDC within the Bay Area airports.
Say I have LAX-SFO booked. I can call in and SDC LAX-SJC?
Can someone confirm this?
Thanks! My girlfriend will be flying into LAX and i dont know how long it will take for immigration... she arrives at 2pm.. I have 3:30pm LAX-SFO but I think we might need to SDC to 5:30pm LAX-SFO and worst case 8:05pm LAX-SJC
Old May 18, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
At booking, an instant upgrade to F is possible with an full-pop Z economy award but it is unclear on the AS website if that requires U or A inventory.
U. Only difference really is no Alaska Lounge access on the instant (or any complimentary) upgrade unless you have one or more segments in A, even if the award ticket is booked into partner F/J and eligible for A at no additional charge when available.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

U. Only difference really is no Alaska Lounge access on the instant (or any complimentary) upgrade unless you have one or more segments in A, even if the award ticket is booked into partner F/J and eligible for A at no additional charge when available.
Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for the datapoint. I have an AC Membership so I don't pay too much attention to that. I did have A space for JFK-LAX after my 2 month stopover. By habit, I got out my AC membership CC. The agent said I didn't need it and that explains why. This and SFO access to AC are certainly benefits of an AC Membership.

James
Old May 19, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Hi there,

I am not a member of Alaska yet, but I was wondering why Alaska looks like a sweet spot for British Airways in F, giving 500%, but also Condor, which earns nothing on other FFPs can earn a lot on Alaska. So is Alaska just an awesome program, even for Europeans or is there a caveat I am not aware of? A good F fare with BA can earn me enough miles for a redemption for EK F ?
Old May 19, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Hi there,

I am not a member of Alaska yet, but I was wondering why Alaska looks like a sweet spot for British Airways in F, giving 500%, but also Condor, which earns nothing on other FFPs can earn a lot on Alaska. So is Alaska just an awesome program, even for Europeans or is there a caveat I am not aware of? A good F fare with BA can earn me enough miles for a redemption for EK F ?
The catch is very little options for redemption that start/end in Europe. Pick Europe on the award chart and outside of North america is Cathay to HK or Finnair to Asia or Middle East. Your Emirates F award example is only to/from North America.
unusualtravelblog likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find that I get the most value out of Alaska by flying revenue premium cabin tickets to Europe and award premium cabin tickets to Asia.

The real issue is that the main european partner is BA which has ridiculous fuel surcharges. On the other hand the fees on an JL or CX redemption are very low.

I think that this is especially true given BAs current mega-sale on premium cabin flights, but I think it's true even without the sale. If you are ok with angled lie-flat, condor earns well for relatively low fares as well.

If you can travel with little to no notice (1-2 days), JL F had a lot of redemption opportunities. 70k miles (75k to SE Asia) with a stopover in Tokyo is a steal as far as I'm concerned.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Just a reminder to AS elites: know your benefits and stick to your guns.

Last week I booked 3x round trip tickets PDX-MCO that were listed as K fair. I wasn't able to upgrade the flights to premium economy immediately (MVP Gold), so I called into reservations to discuss. The person I spoke with was very nice and professional, but told me that K was not eligible for Premium upgrades to MVPG. I told them that I was absolutely sure that K was eligible, and they put me on hold to discuss with a manager. They came back on shortly afterwards and said "thank you very much for pointing that out, we here in the call center had no idea and you educated us." I got my seats upgraded immediately and went about my day.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So I know I can book an award trip with a stopover, but can the additional leg be added after the original flights were booked? Case in point, we have an award flight this summer VLC-LHR-SEA (BA). I would like to add a flight SEA-LIH (or some other HI destination) to the reservation. Would we be able to call up AS and add the HI leg for a future date?

My understanding is that once the trip commences we will not be able to modify the reservation, meaning the continuation flight cannot be changed to a new date once the first flight (VLC-LHR) has commenced. Is this accurate? I searched and couldn't find anything on this, even though it seems I saw this here sometime in the recent past.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:32 am

Tried making a companion code booking for 2 of my friends. used my credit card. the page literally errored out after clicking purchase.
I called alaska and they say they cant find the booking. my credit card got charged and the companion code says that its used.
What an epic mess. Im within 24hrs cancellation period but they cant find the flight ticket. What do I do?
Alaska call agents are not being helpful.

Last edited by alaskaforlife; May 22, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
@alaskaforlife Sounds like you made the purchase very recently for a flight coming up within 24 hours?

You'll need to try customer service again, let them know as politely and calmly as you can that you have an emergency due to the timing & urgency of the situation.

First focus should be on trying to re-issue the companion pass which is stating it's been used. That way you can try rebooking. After explaining the situation if they are unwilling to re-issue a companion fare, I'd ask them if they can confirm the companion code was used, and on what flight. Not sure if they have a way to look that up, but if they find no record of it, might bolster your case.

As for the charge on your CC - if it was very recent the charge may still be "pending" and never actually go through. If you go online to your CC you should be able to find some sort of authorization # or transaction # associated with the charge. That might help Alaska customer service.

Ultimately, if there was no record of the flight, no refund from Alaska and the charge does post through, you should dispute it through the CC. But if the flight needs to be within 24 hours, I'd address that as the most urgent item first.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
@alaskaforlife Sounds like you made the purchase very recently for a flight coming up within 24 hours?

You'll need to try customer service again, let them know as politely and calmly as you can that you have an emergency due to the timing & urgency of the situation.

First focus should be on trying to re-issue the companion pass which is stating it's been used. That way you can try rebooking. After explaining the situation if they are unwilling to re-issue a companion fare, I'd ask them if they can confirm the companion code was used, and on what flight. Not sure if they have a way to look that up, but if they find no record of it, might bolster your case.

As for the charge on your CC - if it was very recent the charge may still be "pending" and never actually go through. If you go online to your CC you should be able to find some sort of authorization # or transaction # associated with the charge. That might help Alaska customer service.

Ultimately, if there was no record of the flight, no refund from Alaska and the charge does post through, you should dispute it through the CC. But if the flight needs to be within 24 hours, I'd address that as the most urgent item first.
Sorry, i'm within the 24hr cancellation policy. Flight is booked for July. I think its a great idea to call back and ask them to look up based on the companion code. Yeah, CC is pending with no transaction number still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.