Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is no service (all they handed out was water) on LAX-SJC normal? I know it's a really short flight but I did LAX-SJC on Southwest and they got a round of drink service in, so I was surprised that for SJC-LAX Alaska ("proper" Alaska on an Airbus plane, not one of the regional carriers on an E75) all we got was water.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Is no service (all they handed out was water) on LAX-SJC normal? I know it's a really short flight but I did LAX-SJC on Southwest and they got a round of drink service in, so I was surprised that for SJC-LAX Alaska ("proper" Alaska on an Airbus plane, not one of the regional carriers on an E75) all we got was water.
I've had this experience before. Sometimes this also happens if they expect turbulence for a portion of the short flight and want to get something to drink (i.e. water) out quick.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:31 pm

Yeah so I have HKG-DXB (stopover 4 days) DXB-SFO (connection 3 hours) SNA. trying to tack on SNA-SEA the next day (<24 hours) and at first they said it was because the maximum connection time is 12 hours and then they said i couldn't add another leg after SNA period. Such BS
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Yeah so I have HKG-DXB (stopover 4 days) DXB-SFO (connection 3 hours) SNA. trying to tack on SNA-SEA the next day (<24 hours) and at first they said it was because the maximum connection time is 12 hours and then they said i couldn't add another leg after SNA period. Such BS
Can you find a routing of SFO-SNA-SEA on a SFO-SEA search? If it isn't a valid routing your options would be SFO-SNA or SFO-SEA.

I have a JL award that ends with EWR-LAX-GDL. I wouldn't expect to be able to add another segment onto that.

James in Kigali
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS
Confused about change ticket fee, read the thread and still confused!

I booked CX award tickets for myself and my spouse. Booked at 60,000 to NZ and 60,000 from Australia. SEA-HKG-AKL and MEL-HKG-SEA. J seats weren't available on the HKG-AKL leg or the MEL-HKG leg, so I selected Premium Economy because it was the trans-Pacific that was most important to get for the schedule/class/departure-arrival city we wanted.

When I find J seats on CX at some time between now and our departure/return (late Nov/late Dec) will AS charge me $125 to change the CX seats from Premium Eco to J? I have no status with AS. I also haven't secured our SEA-ANC flight home, so if there's going to be a $125 fee (x2) I want to try and combine the MEL upgrade and adding the SEA-ANC leg into the same transaction.

Thanks! Willing and able to pay the fee, just want to not pay it if possible, or only pay it once!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by AK_Blue
I booked CX award tickets for myself and my spouse. Booked at 60,000 to NZ and 60,000 from Australia. SEA-HKG-AKL and MEL-HKG-SEA. J seats weren't available on the HKG-AKL leg or the MEL-HKG leg, so I selected Premium Economy because it was the trans-Pacific that was most important to get for the schedule/class/departure-arrival city we wanted.

When I find J seats on CX at some time between now and our departure/return (late Nov/late Dec) will AS charge me $125 to change the CX seats from Premium Eco to J? I have no status with AS. I also haven't secured our SEA-ANC flight home, so if there's going to be a $125 fee (x2) I want to try and combine the MEL upgrade and adding the SEA-ANC leg into the same transaction.

Thanks! Willing and able to pay the fee, just want to not pay it if possible, or only pay it once!
If you have already paid for a J redemption and a segment of your journey is in a lower class, AS will not charge you to move you into the class you already paid for regardless of Status. Had you redeemed a PE fare and later wanted to change to J the change fee would be applied.

James in Kigali
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:13 pm

We know Alaska allows one stopover on a one-way with partners, but what about layovers? How many layovers of up to 24 hours can you have, whether it's in the US with Alaska or in (say) Mainland China with Hainan? Has anyone tried booking this type of itinerary over the phone (as there'd be no way to do it online)?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer05
We know Alaska allows one stopover on a one-way with partners, but what about layovers? How many layovers of up to 24 hours can you have, whether it's in the US with Alaska or in (say) Mainland China with Hainan? Has anyone tried booking this type of itinerary over the phone (as there'd be no way to do it online)?
You can absolutely book this online. It will show you connection options. I've seen it offer some pretty roundabout routings. You can also force connections through multi-city. If it doesn't price as a single award for you, it probably won't for the agent (though it can't hurt to try)

I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of layovers. I've never seen it published for AS (I have for other airlines). There are definitely some routing rules that are enforced, though not published.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Alaska
No min 500 miles from partner through retro claim?

my CX flight only got 200+ miles.

CX has problem crediting AS directly?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by freed0m
No min 500 miles from partner through retro claim?

my CX flight only got 200+ miles.

CX has problem crediting AS directly?

CX is one of the few (the only?) that does not adhere to the 500 mile minimum segment rule.
PenAir, Ravn Alaska and SQ are the others that also do not have a minimum mile segment rule.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...cathay-pacific

You can compare the wording under details, compared to other partners.
CX: "Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above."
AA: "Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown and earn 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above."

Last edited by safari ari; Apr 10, 2019 at 6:51 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by safari ari
CX is one of the few (the only?) that does not adhere to the 500 mile minimum segment rule.
PenAir, Ravn Alaska and SQ are the others that also do not have a minimum mile segment rule.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...cathay-pacific

You can compare the wording under details, compared to other partners.
CX: "Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above."
AA: "Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown and earn 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above."
Thanks for the reply.

Did not read the rule carefully. But it is small.

Regarding SQ, actually, I did get min 500 miles for a flight. It was 400+ and i was credited with 500 with automatic credit.

Last edited by freed0m; Apr 10, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
A family member is traveling PDX-SEA-MSY on a mileage award ticket. The SEA-MSY ticket is in 1st class, but PDX-SEA is on a Horizon prop plane (no first). I know he’ll have lounge access at SEA, but will he also have access at PDX? I can’t recall how it works. Not sure if the fist ticket entitles him to lounge access at both airports or just the departing airport for the first class leg
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by osubeavers01
A family member is traveling PDX-SEA-MSY on a mileage award ticket. The SEA-MSY ticket is in 1st class, but PDX-SEA is on a Horizon prop plane (no first). I know he’ll have lounge access at SEA, but will he also have access at PDX? I can’t recall how it works. Not sure if the fist ticket entitles him to lounge access at both airports or just the departing airport for the first class leg
Yes, on an F award, you will have lounge access in both SEA & PDX.

James on BA6043 JNB-CPT.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Yes, on an F award, you will have lounge access in both SEA & PDX.

James on BA6043 JNB-CPT.
Wonderful; thanks so much!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:56 pm

I’m curious: what’s the policy on accommodating passengers who are late to arrive at the gate and miss their flight?

I recently was late to arrive at SEA (as in my Uber to the airport, not an incoming flight) and got to the gate just after the door closed. The gate agent found me a seat on the next flight to PHX and gave me a new boarding pass, and I didn’t have to pay anything. I’m MVP, and was flying a main cabin fare that got complimentary upgraded to first since I ended up #1 on the waitlist (didn’t get first on the new ticket). Is it normal to get rebooked for free when one is late to the airport? I assume if I’d purchased a saver fare I’d be out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.