Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Heads Up] Reconfiguration of Airbus A320 (319?) Seat Map

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Airbus aircraft featuring bulkhead at row 6:
Print Wikipost

[Heads Up] Reconfiguration of Airbus A320 (319?) Seat Map

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Fly WN? They want their cake and eat it too! Everyone has the option to fly another airline but they don't speak with their wallets. Pity!
James
No pity here. Again, you're disconnected from reality. I speak with my wallet and have moved most of my flying to DL (and frankly hope they crush AS in SEA).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
No pity here. Again, you're disconnected from reality. I speak with my wallet and have moved most of my flying to DL (and frankly hope they crush AS in SEA).
I was strongly considering challenging to Delta Gold at the end of last year while I still had MVP Gold but ultimately just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger given that the flexibility to do both LAX-EWR and LAX-JFK nonstop with Alaska is part of what I liked so much about VX. When I go home, LAX-JFK usually works but on the way back I pretty much have to do EWR-LAX and I wasn't willing to commit myself to doing a connection every time I flew out of EWR to LAX.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that the people who paid the extra money to fly and get status on a better airline, and then are being denied their status benefits, have a right to be upset.

People who fly less frequently are not really impacted. The greatest impact is on people who are in premium seats, or in seats that require elite status to select for free. This is almost entirely people with status.

I used to fly WN. Then I got pissed off, realized that the cost savings had (1) basically disappeared, and (2) wouldn't be worth the aggravation anyway, so I rage quit and started flying a better airline. Then AS bought that airline.
What you enjoyed about VX was not viable. The model was unsustainable. I find it amusing that the VX loyalists can't let go and trash AS yet they are on the AS thread looking for assistance on Mileage Runs and booking CX F awards! Oh, wasn't that you? Isn't that called hypocrisy? Things will iron out, in the interim, enjoy your nearly free transcon flights when compensated for your inconvenience.

James
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
What's not amusing is you returning to your same old pattern of drifting hopelessly off-topic to try and make an unrelated point.

MODS: Can you please clean up this mess so that we can return to the actual topic of the Reconfiguration of the AS Airbii?

Thank you!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I find it amusing that the VX loyalists can't let go and trash AS yet they are on the AS thread looking for assistance on Mileage Runs and booking CX F awards!
I don't find it at all hypocritical to say that an airline has a great loyalty program, and at the same time say that it's sad that they can't handle a simple seat renumbering. The two are unrelated.

I neither love nor hate AS. I see the good along with the bad. That's not hypocrisy.
jjmadison and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Is the expectation that all of this will pay off when AS actually reconfigures the airbus fleet with new interiors?
I really hope we don't get to go through all of this again when they start remodeling planes.
be_rettSEA and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Is the expectation that all of this will pay off when AS actually reconfigures the airbus fleet with new interiors?
I really hope we don't get to go through all of this again when they start remodeling planes.
We will, but only the F class cabin will be the issue then.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Premium will be an issue too, for those who select exit rows -- if the new 319/320 config matches the Boeings and 321
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
We will, but only the F class cabin will be the issue then.
Why would the F class cabin be an issue? It's going to go from rows 1 and 2 to rows 1, 2, and 3, so I wouldn't expect there to be problems given that in the F class cabin there won't be a repeat of the issue of being able to select a row that winds up not existing later.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I think with the new numbering, we'll see some very minor shifting of seats. I haven't seen what a reconfigured A321 looks like yet, but considering that we are going from an awesome amazing 55" seat pitch to 41", and then adding of an inch or two to Premium, we may not see much juggling with the new interiors.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Why would the F class cabin be an issue? It's going to go from rows 1 and 2 to rows 1, 2, and 3, so I wouldn't expect there to be problems given that in the F class cabin there won't be a repeat of the issue of being able to select a row that winds up not existing later.
That's where you're mistaken. As we've seen with the Y row renumbering, folks have gone from row 6 new config, to row 6 old config. The same will happen with the new F. Folks in new Row 3, will get subbed to an old VX a/c without it, and they'll end up in Y.

Mark my words, it's going to happen.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's where you're mistaken. As we've seen with the Y row renumbering, folks have gone from row 6 new config, to row 6 old config. The same will happen with the new F. Folks in new Row 3, will get subbed to an old VX a/c without it, and they'll end up in Y.

Mark my words, it's going to happen.
Regardless of the numbering, of they swap from a plane with 12F to 8F, this is going to happen.
NoLaGent and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:41 pm

Regardless of the numbering, of they swap from a plane with 12F to 8F, this is going to happen.
Yup, exactly like what we went through with the 16F to 12F already. If AS' can screw it up, they will, regardless of previous learning experiences.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, exactly like what we went through with the 16F to 12F already. If AS' can screw it up, they will, regardless of previous learning experiences.
What I mean is, if your flight is scheduled on a plane with 12F, and they equipment swap to a plane with 8F, some F pax will most likely get displaced. This happens on all airlines, but it will probably be more common when the same plane type (which they are used to swapping regularly) comes in both configurations.

Now, the question is, will they handle it properly, with a sensible pecking order for displacements (so that a paying F or P doesn't get displaced while a confirmed upgrade gets to keep their seat), or will they just screw over whoever happens to be in row 3?

I'd hope for the the former, but given how this was handled, the latter is a distinct possibility. So... my advice is, don't pay for F unless row 1 or 2 is available to be selected.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:38 pm

What I mean is, if your flight is scheduled on a plane with 12F, and they equipment swap to a plane with 8F, some F pax will most likely get displaced. This happens on all airlines, but it will probably be more common when the same plane type (which they are used to swapping regularly) comes in both configurations...

...I'd hope for the the former, but given how this was handled, the latter is a distinct possibility. So... my advice is, don't pay for F unless row 1 or 2 is available to be selected.
You do realize we're saying the same thing, right? We've seen it with the legacy AS 73s problem with the 16F to 12F configs. We've seen this with the Airbii renumbering problem. And we'll see it again when the cabin mods start.

They've made it a habit of hosing their elites in the previous two situations, so the writing's already on the wall with what's to come. Sadly, it's really that simple.

Of course none of this is really specific to this thread, but maybe the Mods will consider splitting this type of conjecture into a new Cabin mod thread that'll cover the entire fleet. Who knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.