Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Heads Up] Reconfiguration of Airbus A320 (319?) Seat Map

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Airbus aircraft featuring bulkhead at row 6:
Print Wikipost

[Heads Up] Reconfiguration of Airbus A320 (319?) Seat Map

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Yup - got hosed with my ORD flight - as expected it switched numbering.....they stuck us in 18EF.....thankfully was able to snap up 16EF (not sure why they didnt put us in there to begin with).....glad i incessantly look at my rez this week.....

this is nuts....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Although i still want my first row of economy 6A/B that i originally had with 3A/B.....thats why i bought K fares!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Got my turn caught up in the fun. AS1033 from LAX to SEA yesterday on an A320.

I was traveling with 2 friends so we booked 5A,B,C. About a week ago, I noticed this thread and realized I was in the "danger zone" but by that point there was no good option to get 3 seats together a little further back. Sure enough, we ended up in 25D,E,F - at least we all didn't end up with middle seats.

Pretty crummy way to treat their elites, who tend to be the ones booking up in those forward rows. Add in a broken overhead bin (missing door) directly above me, plus a cabin that couldn't maintain balanced heating (freezing to sweltering to freezing to sweltering all flight) and a FA who didn't acknowledge status and it was one of my least pleasant experiences flying with AS to date.

Told my friends I'm never doing a 3 person itinerary again as it kept me out of PE, Upgrades, etc. and left me treated like a 'commoner' the entire flight
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Got my turn caught up in the fun. AS1033 from LAX to SEA yesterday on an A320.

I was traveling with 2 friends so we booked 5A,B,C. About a week ago, I noticed this thread and realized I was in the "danger zone" but by that point there was no good option to get 3 seats together a little further back. Sure enough, we ended up in 25D,E,F - at least we all didn't end up with middle seats.

Pretty crummy way to treat their elites, who tend to be the ones booking up in those forward rows. Add in a broken overhead bin (missing door) directly above me, plus a cabin that couldn't maintain balanced heating (freezing to sweltering to freezing to sweltering all flight) and a FA who didn't acknowledge status and it was one of my least pleasant experiences flying with AS to date.

Told my friends I'm never doing a 3 person itinerary again as it kept me out of PE, Upgrades, etc. and left me treated like a 'commoner' the entire flight

Good grief and a big UGH. I'm sorry.

I'm in 2F on Thursday to LAX, but I've been watching my flight just for data points on this problem and it's changed 2x today alone. I really am curious how long this'll go on for and the level of ill-will this is going to reach by hosing their best customers on an hourly basis.

The perplexing part is that they've known about this for so long and it could've been so easily handled i.e. the sticker suggestion several pages back. There weren't even scripts (macros?) that needed to be coded, if someone had just spent 10 minutes thinking of the simplest, most-economical option, it's plain (plane!) as day.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Tankerman

customer care told me yesterday to expect seating problems to continue for the next few weeks
Seat renumbering should be completed by end of this week.
jinglish and DrAlex like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRider
"Should be".

Yes, I read the 9th of November as well, but my return that has now been switched to the 10th has switched configs as well, so don't hold your breath.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Good grief and a big UGH. I'm sorry.

I'm in 2F on Thursday to LAX, but I've been watching my flight just for data points on this problem and it's changed 2x today alone. I really am curious how long this'll go on for and the level of ill-will this is going to reach by hosing their best customers on an hourly basis.

The perplexing part is that they've known about this for so long and it could've been so easily handled i.e. the sticker suggestion several pages back. There weren't even scripts (macros?) that needed to be coded, if someone had just spent 10 minutes thinking of the simplest, most-economical option, it's plain (plane!) as day.
Wouldn't that be taking work away from Unionized maintenance workers? Hands tied?

The script to block all Premium Seats prior to OLCI sounds easy too if your shareholders don't mind cutting off a revenue stream to ensure all those 75K Members flying G, T & R class get their premium seats, full EQM & complimentary drinks on a $119.00 transcon when they probably shouldn't be eligible on these fares, designed to be competitive with other Airlines E-, no benefit fares. This goes out the window too if there is a swap after OLCI commences.

The usual transcon premium upgrade is $119, the same as a SEA-BOS R fare on December 1st. AS isn't in the business of giving away products and services for free. Enjoy what you had. Anyone who paid for a premium seat should have priority over complimentary upgrades, just like the F waitlist. You may not like that, but Shareholders over "the most loyal Elites" is going to rule anyday. With the introduction of Basic Economy you are "not paying for your benefits." The benefits you should not have received are being discontinued. Simple as that.

The other solution would be to discontinue Premium during the intergration. If you are lucky, you get a seat with more legroom. Nothing Else! No priority boarding and no complimentary alcohol. Since seat assignments are never guarateed, everyone should be happy with this. No?

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Nov 5, 2018 at 5:02 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Wouldn't that be taking work away from Unionized maintenance workers? Hands tied?

The script to block all Premium Seats prior to OLCI sounds easy too if your shareholders don't mind cutting off a revenue stream to ensure all those 75K Members flying G, T & R class get their premium seats, full EQM & complimentary drinks on a $119.00 transcon when they probably shouldn't be eligible on fares to be competitive with other Airlines E-, no benefit fares. This goes out the window too if there is a swap after OLCI commences.

The usual transcon premium upgrade is $119, the same as a SEA-BOS R fare on December 1st. AS isn't in the business of giving away products and services for free. Enjoy what you had. Anyone who paid for a premium seat should have priority over complimentary upgrades, just like the F waitlist. You may not like that, but Shareholders over "the most loyal Elites" is going to rule anyday.

The other solution would be to discontinue Premium during the intergration. If you are lucky, you get a seat with more legroom. Nothing Else! No priority boarding and no complimentary alcohol. Since seat assignments are never guarateed, everyone should be happy with this. No?

James
No, they shouldn't, otherwise they should just be flying WN.

I'm in 2A on the return, so I don't have a horse in this race, but do I think it's been handled poorly? Yes, I most certainly do.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No, they shouldn't, otherwise they should just be flying WN.

I'm in 2A on the return, so I don't have a horse in this race, but do I think it's been handled poorly? Yes, I most certainly do.
Fly WN? They want their cake and eat it too! Everyone has the option to fly another airline but they don't speak with their wallets. Pity!
I don't necessarily disagree with you on how it has been handled but the furor on FT is but a handful of flyers and probably not the sentiment of the thousands who fly less frequently and are also impacted.

James
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Good news, but a month to renumber 71 aircraft? Good grief. Effectively only 2 aircraft a day. Forget Sky High Airlines, Ernestine should be their spokeswoman.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fly WN? They want their cake and eat it too! Everyone has the option to fly another airline but they don't speak with their wallets. Pity!
I don't necessarily disagree with you on how it has been handled but the furor on FT is but a handful of flyers and probably not the sentiment of the thousands who fly less frequently and are also impacted.

James
I think that the people who paid the extra money to fly and get status on a better airline, and then are being denied their status benefits, have a right to be upset.

People who fly less frequently are not really impacted. The greatest impact is on people who are in premium seats, or in seats that require elite status to select for free. This is almost entirely people with status.

I used to fly WN. Then I got pissed off, realized that the cost savings had (1) basically disappeared, and (2) wouldn't be worth the aggravation anyway, so I rage quit and started flying a better airline. Then AS bought that airline.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

The script to block all Premium Seats prior to OLCI sounds easy too if your shareholders don't mind cutting off a revenue stream to ensure all those 75K Members flying G, T & R class get their premium seats, full EQM & complimentary drinks on a $119.00 transcon when they probably shouldn't be eligible on these fares, designed to be competitive with other Airlines E-, no benefit fares. This goes out the window too if there is a swap after OLCI commences.

The usual transcon premium upgrade is $119, the same as a SEA-BOS R fare on December 1st. AS isn't in the business of giving away products and services for free. Enjoy what you had. Anyone who paid for a premium seat should have priority over complimentary upgrades, just like the F waitlist. You may not like that, but Shareholders over "the most loyal Elites" is going to rule anyday. With the introduction of Basic Economy you are "not paying for your benefits." The benefits you should not have received are being discontinued. Simple as that.

James
Think the shareholders are happy I've spent over $4k on UA, AA, DL and WN since this mess (and their terrible response) started? Much of which could have been on AS?

I've said it on another thread, this wouldn't happen to me as a 1k, or as a former EXP. No way. I've gotten calls/texts with options, middle seats blocked when I've to sit in E- after a swap, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
People who fly less frequently are not really impacted.
Not true - they got some premium seats out of the deal for $0. Kinda stupid.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by DrAlex

Not true - they got some premium seats out of the deal for $0. Kinda stupid.
Or paid $100/seat extra for their once a year trip and got bupkis. I imagine someone in that situation is even less understanding than elites are.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My flight tomorrow has changed 3 times already. Once before check-in, twice after.
bbison likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.