Wiki Posts
Search

Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The beauty of the internet is that I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not, but it's seriously the funniest thing I've read on Flyertalk today.

I'm also thrilled that this thread continues to thrive. Really interesting stuff about CSPR and NextGen, of which I wasn't familiar.
I am NOT an expert in these things, hence my question to the "flyertalkaverse", re landing/take off spacing, but my understanding is that when NextGen is implemented, that the plane will basically fly itself, maintaining appropriate spacing based upon where all other airplanes around it are in space. Since the computer knows exactly where that plane is landing on the runway 750 feet away at SFO, and as such both planes can land safely without the approx 4000 feet of separation required under instrument conditions. It should solve the issues at SFO re flow control, and will also help other airports effected by reduced visibility (think SEA at times, SAN, LAX in the am).

The entire program though has been delayed, and I don't think it can be implemented until all aircraft (or at least the commercial ones) are equipped with the appropriate sensors and transmitters.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Alaska purchased Virgin Air as a defensive move to prevent someone else. It was a good purchase in the sense it kept their own market share in the west. SFO flights and route structure is changing significantly. Fact remains that overall Virgin America lost more money than it ever earned. Alaska will absorb those NOL carryovers and use them well. That does not mean SFO works significantly into their plans. It may be part of it, but those flights, planes, pilots, etc. are being redeployed elsewhere in the system.

United has haters? Wow. Every company in America has haters. It sure as heck didn't save the Denver, Dallas, NY-LGA, Minneapolis (and other flights). United still has 44.5% market share at SFO; next closest competitor has less than 10% share.

Originally Posted by spin88
You are right, Alaska paid twice the stock value - a total of $2.6 Billion because VX was a "loser operation" The Alaska management is the nicest bunch of folks and just wanted to help out the poor suffering VX shareholders. I for one thank them (for the new BWM wagon I got with the appreciation).

VX build a very valuable customer base in an airport/region (SFO) that everyone wanted into, and another airport (LAX) with very valuable traffic. AS paid through the nose to acquire VX's market share, I don't think they think its wise to just toss that away.

And if you lived in the Bay Area, you would know how hated United is, particuarly post-2012 arround here. VX did well because it offered a much better option to UA. If Alaska does not offer markedly better service ex-SFO than does UA, well then the VX flyers might as well just go with the bigger carrier.

A little more nuanced than you portray it is perhaps more accurate. AA and DL both offer shuttle type service, DL SEA-SFO, and LAX-SFO, and AA LAX-SFO, Neither "cancel" flights (nor does UA, except rarely on SFO-LAX) nor do they divert, they simply take a delay, and once hops on the earlier flight if you can.

Flow control does not get rid of slots, nor does it require any flights be cancelled. United does not commonly cancel UX flights, although it will at times do so to use the slot for a widebody landing, or when the UX flight is going to be so delayed that its in effect useless. hUnited is not cancelling UX flights so that SEA-SFO flights run on time...

Nor might I add does - at least in my experience - Alaska diverting really help. On the day that sparked my post, everyone was backed up by two hours to SFO, and my eventual flight to SFO was as well, its just that my scheduled flight was sent to OAK, leaving OT.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
It is possible to disrupt fewer passengers by under-utilizing gates on an on-going basis, providing more operating flexibility during flow control. Of course, there will still be delays. You'll also pay more for your ticket, since it costs $$$ to have committed infrastructure.
Can you please point me in the direction of the Alaska discount for having less airport infrastructure? I certainly haven't seen it.

Bottom line is AS is operating at a competitive hub. If AS botches this up, it will cost them far more than a couple of gates would have.

That said, as has been pointed out above, it doesn't even appear to be an issue of lack of infrastructure. It appears to be AS's mismanagement of assets they already have. If planes are sitting there empty waiting to be towed, and they're not towed in time for the next plane to pull in, it's AS not utilizing their limited resources correctly, not them needing more resources to cater to their inefficient ground handling.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Can you please point me in the direction of the Alaska discount for having less airport infrastructure? I certainly haven't seen it.

Bottom line is AS is operating at a competitive hub. If AS botches this up, it will cost them far more than a couple of gates would have.

That said, as has been pointed out above, it doesn't even appear to be an issue of lack of infrastructure. It appears to be AS's mismanagement of assets they already have. If planes are sitting there empty waiting to be towed, and they're not towed in time for the next plane to pull in, it's AS not utilizing their limited resources correctly, not them needing more resources to cater to their inefficient ground handling.
Alaska's cost structure and fares are based on a certain level of asset utilization, including airport gates. If asset utilization were to decline, fares would need to rise. If asset utilization were to decline to a below-industry-average level, fares would no longer be competitive.

Yes, SFO is a competitive hub. Alaska has been clear that their targeting a specific type of customer, which are not high-need corporate travelers. If you're not happy with how Alaska operates, you're welcome to fly United.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Alaska has been clear that their targeting a specific type of customer, which are not high-need corporate travelers.
This probably needs to be emphasized a lot; they have in no way in their corporate presentations been setting themselves up as an AA/UA/DL alternative. In fact, they're going to some lengths (no lie-flats, ripping out the VX F cabin) to say "this isn't our bag".

The feedback in this thread hasn't been 100% universally "I hate the diversion to alternates". My guess is if they improved how they handled notifying customers when this happens it might well take care of some problems. The question is now that they have a lot more SFO-originating/ending pax, does bumping their flights to SJC/OAK work?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alaska's cost structure and fares are based on a certain level of asset utilization, including airport gates. If asset utilization were to decline, fares would need to rise. If asset utilization were to decline to a below-industry-average level, fares would no longer be competitive.
We've already established they have the assets, but they're mismanaging them by leaving empty planes parked there. Seems they have more of a ground operations challenge than an asset management challenge. Either way, it's part of an airline's job to manage these things well. If not, that'll erode profits. Last I checked, they don't have much control of fares -- competition, not cost, dictates much of that. If it gets below a certain point, the route gets cut.

Yes, SFO is a competitive hub. Alaska has been clear that their targeting a specific type of customer, which are not high-need corporate travelers. If you're not happy with how Alaska operates, you're welcome to fly United.
That has not been clear in their advertising throughout the area. Then again, maybe when they wrapped a BART train in Alaska colors and mention how they serve all 3 airports, this is the sort of thing they meant -- you could land at any of the 3.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:58 am

We've already established they have the assets, but they're mismanaging them by leaving empty planes parked there. Seems they have more of a ground operations challenge than an asset management challenge. Either way, it's part of an airline's job to manage these things well. If not, that'll erode profits. Last I checked, they don't have much control of fares -- competition, not cost, dictates much of that. If it gets below a certain point, the route gets cut.
Either you’re saying a handful of operational failures is causing diversions or you’re looking for any negative perspective to build a case against Alaska. Regardless, it doesn’t seem like your business can reasonably be won/retained by Alaska (or United). I wish you the best of luck in finding an airline that meets your expectations.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I wonder how many remote stand or Int'l Gates they have access to at SFO? On two recent flights, we were left sitting on the tarmac twice for about 25 minutes after landing at SFO in late evening hours because of "no gate available" in T2. In both cases, it wasn't because of pending departures, but because they hadn't yet managed to tow an aircraft that had arrived earlier in the evening over to remote parking for the night so we could pull into the gate and deplane. I would have much rather they just parked us at the Int'l gates and let us deplane there instead of leaving us sitting on the plane.
This happens on every airline. This is not unique to Alaska.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:33 am

We've already established they have the assets, but they're mismanaging them by leaving empty planes parked there. Seems they have more of a ground operations challenge than an asset management challenge. Either way, it's part of an airline's job to manage these things well. If not, that'll erode profits. Last I checked, they don't have much control of fares -- competition, not cost, dictates much of that. If it gets below a certain point, the route gets cut..
This happens to all airlines. This is not just an Alaska issue. I fly into Chicago or Dallas frequently and am backed up. I fly through Houston and am backed up. It happens. There's a plan, but then something gets out of whack - a plane arrives early or late and puts it into a funk. At the end of the evening at hub airports they sometimes stack up when something puts the schedule out of whack. I also have run into this in Maui, a non hub airport. A loading plane is behind so we wait.

Clearly Alaska is not satisfying your needs. I hope you can find someone else to get where you need to go.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
This happens to all airlines. This is not just an Alaska issue. I fly into Chicago or Dallas frequently and am backed up. I fly through Houston and am backed up. It happens.
This thread is about SFO/The Bay Area. This does not happen to all airlines at SFO--only AS. How does being backed up at ORD/DFW have any relevance to the fact that AS leaves an aircraft RON at a gate at SFO that needed to be towed to be remote parked? It is great to be a fan boy/girl for an airline but citing completely irrelevant airports and saying if you don't like it fly somebody else is not a great attitude for anybody wanting a business to succeed. As has been noted several times, people have actually gone out of their way to fly AS and AS is making it very difficult to choose them a 2nd time. This thread is to make others aware of what is happening and perhaps make AS management wake up to the fact that SFO is no longer just a destination airport for people travelling from PDX/SEA so it is time to come up with a plan to operate their new hub efficiently.
channa likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either you’re saying a handful of operational failures is causing diversions or you’re looking for any negative perspective to build a case against Alaska. Regardless, it doesn’t seem like your business can reasonably be won/retained by Alaska (or United). I wish you the best of luck in finding an airline that meets your expectations.
It's one thing if a plane is leaving and you wait 10 minutes. That happens to everybody. It's another if they're letting parked planes sit at gates and not towing them away. That's mismanagement of resources and what they're doing frequently enough at SFO to be noticeable.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
today on twitter...click to expand...
so it's not just the west coast flights anymore...

i do feel like this is starting to happen often enough that AS should disclose the risk at the time of booking, or with a notice on their website.
channa likes this.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jun 6, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
This thread is about SFO/The Bay Area. This does not happen to all airlines at SFO--only AS. How does being backed up at ORD/DFW have any relevance to the fact that AS leaves an aircraft RON at a gate at SFO that needed to be towed to be remote parked? It is great to be a fan boy/girl for an airline but citing completely irrelevant airports and saying if you don't like it fly somebody else is not a great attitude for anybody wanting a business to succeed. As has been noted several times, people have actually gone out of their way to fly AS and AS is making it very difficult to choose them a 2nd time. This thread is to make others aware of what is happening and perhaps make AS management wake up to the fact that SFO is no longer just a destination airport for people travelling from PDX/SEA so it is time to come up with a plan to operate their new hub efficiently.
I think the point was that all airlines can have delays in getting RON airplane on and off gates. I would guarantee that it has happened at one time or the other to EVERY airline that RONs airplanes at SFO. Should it happen? No. However, it does and will continue to be an occasional problem as airlines can't independently decide when and where to move aircraft.

Ultimately, this has NOTHING to do with diversions. It seems like a small group of posters are looking for any possible excuse to trash Alaska.

It's one thing if a plane is leaving and you wait 10 minutes. That happens to everybody. It's another if they're letting parked planes sit at gates and not towing them away. That's mismanagement of resources and what they're doing frequently enough at SFO to be noticeable.
In the absence of data on how frequently this happens at Alaska, why it is a mismanagement of resources and how it is not an issue for other airlines I think we can dismiss this post as an isolated complaint.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
today on twitter...click to expand...
so it's not just the west coast flights anymore...

https://twitter.com/AlaskaAir/status...88708240515073

i do feel like this is starting to happen often enough that AS should disclose the risk at the time of booking, or with a notice on their website.
My bigger questions is: what recourse do you have if AS axes your flight due to "Air Traffic Control?" As in, it is completely canceled, or rescheduled to another airport. Has anyone had luck getting rebooked on another airline? I mostly fly SJC/OAK to begin with, so haven't experienced IRROPs from SFO yet.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
My bigger questions is: what recourse do you have if AS axes your flight due to "Air Traffic Control?" As in, it is completely canceled, or rescheduled to another airport. Has anyone had luck getting rebooked on another airline? I mostly fly SJC/OAK to begin with, so haven't experienced IRROPs from SFO yet.
they are probably not going to do much for you since ATC is not in their control (though the flights they choose to cancel, divert are)

a huge issue with the way that this is apparently being handled is that the communication is really bad. it's not always timely, and it's communicated as a cancelation and not a departure from a different airport. people are saying that it is hard to get information about how to get from SFO to SJC/OAK for rescheduled departures -- even though AS is providing a bus, they're not being very transparent about what time it leaves or proactively offering alternatives like taxi vouchers, thus i am sure it's costing passengers real money out of their own pockets, which to my opinion is wrong, especially if AS is not making it very, very easy to get those expenses refunded.

i've not experienced this myself but it's the general vibe i'm getting here and from twitter posts.

furthermore, there are certain times of day when it is genuinely hard to leave downtown SFO 2 hours before departure and actually get to SJC in a timely manner because of traffic and poor public transit infrastructure.
eponymous_coward and pbelmore like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.