Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tusphotog
It’s not inconceivable that a passenger would print a BP at home/office/hotel and show up at SFO 90 minutes before departure, go through security and not notice anything until they don’t see a flight on the board. Once they move departure airports, it’s off the SFO boards. I wonder what they’d do in that situation?
That's a good point, but in the grand scheme of things, I would guess there is a pretty high correlation of those who print-at-home and don't check email/text to those who check bags; so this would probably be caught at the counter.

For those who print-at-home and go straight to the gate, yeah, that would suck.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Of note, this is getting more press in the Bay Area with Chris McGinnis' (Travel Skills/San Francisco Chronicle) piece today, which also includes handy links to AS' website directly addressing this issue:

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...s-13004295.php

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...-from-bay-area
channa likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
I mostly fly on United and had never heard of this until I saw Chris McGinnis' article today. For me, this practice is totally unacceptable, and I will avoid Alaska flights at all costs. There is no way I would want to go to a different airport on short notice. Plus, the idea of traveling from the city to SFO, dealing with a ticket change and then backracking by taking a bus to OAK is ludicrous. I suppose it's a plus to fliers on other airlines because if Alaska moves flights to other airports on a bad day, then that opens up takeoff and landing slots for competitors.

Is it fair to assume this practice is mostly for shorter flights on the West Coast and that a transcon would be a safe bet for avoiding this?
eponymous_coward and NoLaGent like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
Is it fair to assume this practice is mostly for shorter flights on the West Coast and that a transcon would be a safe bet for avoiding this?
SFO ATC holds for flow control affect planes not in the air yet ("you, yes, you, no taking off until we say so") in order to make sure you don't have planes running on fumes having to circle waiting for a chance to land. Transcon = way more likely to be in the air already when the hold is declared (plus frequencies are higher for the shorthaul flights). So yes. The disparate impact will be on LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX/LAS/PHX/SLC, not so much JFK/EWR/DCA/IAD/MIA/BOS/etc.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:13 pm

I mostly fly on United and had never heard of this until I saw Chris McGinnis' article today. For me, this practice is totally unacceptable, and I will avoid Alaska flights at all costs. There is no way I would want to go to a different airport on short notice. Plus, the idea of traveling from the city to SFO, dealing with a ticket change and then backracking by taking a bus to OAK is ludicrous. I suppose it's a plus to fliers on other airlines because if Alaska moves flights to other airports on a bad day, then that opens up takeoff and landing slots for competitors.

It is ludicrous, and a uniquely AS problem/solution...

It seems to disrupt SEA/PDX-SFO the most, but there are reports in this thread of mid-cons being diverted to SJC as well. I haven't seen a t-con hit by it yet, but Summer is just beginning.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
It is ludicrous, and a uniquely AS problem/solution...

It seems to disrupt SEA/PDX-SFO the most, but there are reports in this thread of mid-cons being diverted to SJC as well. I haven't seen a t-con hit by it yet, but Summer is just beginning.
If you look at the publicly available data from BTS for SFO arrivals (Jan-Apr 2018), it shows that 38 Alaska flights were canceled (1.07%) and 33 were diverted to another airport (0.93%). So, basically schedule completion into SFO was at 98%. This doesn't include OO operated flights which are reported separately, although the overall diversion rate for OO into SFO (including UA branded operations) is quite low.

Point being is that while the diversions occur at a higher rate than other airlines, there is still a 98% chance that a flight you have scheduled into SFO will operate to that airport (albeit possibly with some delay).
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:30 pm

There is no way I would want to go to a different airport on short notice. Plus, the idea of traveling from the city to SFO, dealing with a ticket change and then backracking by taking a bus to OAK is ludicrous.
If you're an actual frequent SFO flyer, even on other airlines, you should probably check your flight status before going to the airport. If your flight is diverted to OAK, you'd almost certainly learn this before going to SFO, unless you're leaving 4+ hours before your flight. For tech-unsavvy infrequent flyers, this could cause problems (as discussed upthread) but if you're posting here you should probably be savvy enough to know where your flight is operating before showing up to the airport blind.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
If you look at the publicly available data from BTS for SFO arrivals (Jan-Apr 2018), it shows that 38 Alaska flights were canceled (1.07%) and 33 were diverted to another airport (0.93%). So, basically schedule completion into SFO was at 98%. This doesn't include OO operated flights which are reported separately, although the overall diversion rate for OO into SFO (including UA branded operations) is quite low.

Point being is that while the diversions occur at a higher rate than other airlines, there is still a 98% chance that a flight you have scheduled into SFO will operate to that airport (albeit possibly with some delay).
Except for a couple of weeks ago when AS 3437 (OO) from SLC-SFO diverted to San Jose. For 3 days in a row...

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
If you're an actual frequent SFO flyer, even on other airlines, you should probably check your flight status before going to the airport. If your flight is diverted to OAK, you'd almost certainly learn this before going to SFO, unless you're leaving 4+ hours before your flight. For tech-unsavvy infrequent flyers, this could cause problems (as discussed upthread) but if you're posting here you should probably be savvy enough to know where your flight is operating before showing up to the airport blind.
HA! "Remember the good old days when you used to book a ticket from Point A to Point B and assumed that's where it would be operating to/from?"
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just saw the story today - was not aware this was now SOP for AS. My initial view was positive as the flight delays drive me nuts, but on review I think this works best for visitors (using Uber, taxi, transit) rather than those of us who live here and often park at SFO. Cause the last thing I want to do when I get home is to wait for everyone else's checked luggage, then board a bus, sit in traffic across the bridge, and then drive back through traffic across the same route. Would be better on the outbound, as I could avoid the ground transport mess.

SJC is a non-starter for me, so not sure how this will play out for me going forward though a 1% risk of diversion is certainly tolerable, even more so if certain flights are more frequently impacted...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Well, the other option is to simply cancel the flight all together, as they did with this morning's 7am flight from SEA-SFO. They cancelled it about 12 hours earlier. When my Mother called, they quoted ATC issues. My Mother would have been happy to go to OAK, rather than fighting for the last middle seat on the 10am departure.

Great job, Alaska! Cancel a Monday morning business flight to SFO, when all of your other flights are full. It sounds like their ops department is not ready for prime time.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
HA! "Remember the good old days when you used to book a ticket from Point A to Point B and assumed that's where it would be operating to/from?"
Hard to remember, after so long. Before 2009 at least, which is the last time I showed up to the airport only to discover that I would be going to a “point C”.

Might be worth noting that in my case, the route was MRY-SFO and the airline was United. They told us at the gate that we’d be going to SJC instead.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Calculon

Hard to remember, after so long. Before 2009 at least, which is the last time I showed up to the airport only to discover that I would be going to a “point C”.

Might be worth noting that in my case, the route was MRY-SFO and the airline was United. They told us at the gate that we’d be going to SJC instead.
That is not really relevant. MRY is not a hub airport for UA and if the weather is really bad on the coast--given that there are so few flights at MRY, the airport may be shut down so there is no option to just wait an hour or two to continue the flight. It is not a regular process to fly people to SJC from SFO just because it was better for UA. UA also didn't put on their website that you may be informed a few hours of whatever flight you may be taking and end up leaving or arriving at any one of three airports--we will let you know when we decide what is best for us.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
That is not really relevant. MRY is not a hub airport for UA and if the weather is really bad on the coast--given that there are so few flights at MRY, the airport may be shut down so there is no option to just wait an hour or two to continue the flight. It is not a regular process to fly people to SJC from SFO just because it was better for UA. UA also didn't put on their website that you may be informed a few hours of whatever flight you may be taking and end up leaving or arriving at any one of three airports--we will let you know when we decide what is best for us.
You have misinterpreted the reason I mentioned it. It merely represents the only time I've ever been headed to SFO and ended up at another Bay Area airport. Since I genuinely do not care about the fierce, go-nowhere war being waged in this thread, you shouldn't look at it as anything more than a story that highlights how a flight failing to go from "point a to point b" isn't exactly a new thing.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon
You have misinterpreted the reason I mentioned it. It merely represents the only time I've ever been headed to SFO and ended up at another Bay Area airport. Since I genuinely do not care about the fierce, go-nowhere war being waged in this thread, you shouldn't look at it as anything more than a story that highlights how a flight failing to go from "point a to point b" isn't exactly a new thing.
I really don't see this as a "fierce, go-nowhere war" being waged here, but good information for those that haven't experienced this before and need more information.

You also misinterpreted my quote which was in reference to knowing where your flight was operating from before going to the airport. In your example, it operated from exactly where you had booked your ticket, MRY.

It's all good though, I'm glad to see it getting more press here in the Bay Area so that other travelers aren't blindsided should this happen to them.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, the other option is to simply cancel the flight all together, as they did with this morning's 7am flight from SEA-SFO. They cancelled it about 12 hours earlier. When my Mother called, they quoted ATC issues. My Mother would have been happy to go to OAK, rather than fighting for the last middle seat on the 10am departure.

Great job, Alaska! Cancel a Monday morning business flight to SFO, when all of your other flights are full. It sounds like their ops department is not ready for prime time.
FWIW, UA also canceled one of its early morning SEA-SFO flights today, so whatever the issue was did not appear to only impact AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.