Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tom911
This is from the airport's web site in 2010. Has any of it changed since then?
At the risk of posting something else about a topic that’s been “beat[en] to death,” about something which we cannot discuss anymore, since nothing else said will make us any more informed.

I don’t think the AARs have changed much since 2010. What has changed are some of the procedures like CSPR, which allows closer offset approaches in lower ceilings. SFO has 1nm spacing requirements and the other airports with CSPR approaches (like SEA), have to use 1.5nm. At least with CSPR they can bring things a bit higher than the ~30 AAR they used to get when the evil clouds moved in.

Another thing that has changed at SFO since 2010 is traffic volume. If they start bumping up to the 60 aircraft/hour limit earlier and for longer periods of time, delays just get worse and worse and can’t clear once the evil clouds move in. There was SFO flow control at 7a when I got on my flight the other morning. Ramp space issues are also causing issues, but that might be more of a WN thing than AS since the construction is over in T1.

The three things that’ll fix this are the FAA making it a level 3 slot airport (like JFK/LGA/DCA) or a new runway (very unlikely) or NextGen.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:12 pm

When there is flow control at SFO, I would much rather take a planned diversion to OAK or SJC than have my flight delayed. If I am departing from SFO, I would also much rather go to OAK or SJC for my flight than to wait at SFO.

AS believes most of its (potential) customers agree with me.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by quasihumanist
If I am departing from SFO, I would also much rather go to OAK or SJC for my flight than to wait at SFO.

AS believes most of its (potential) customers agree with me.
I’m in the same boat, however, I really don’t want to find out three hours from departure my flight is leaving from a different airport (like SJC), much farther away during rush hour, with zero transit options from downtown SF and no communication from AS on how I’m supposed to get there, or what time their bus is leaving from SFO.

Also, don’t invalidate my iPhone BP after the city change.

Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm not quite sure what departures and arrivals board you're looking at over @ UA @sfo on a "weather day" but the one that I see has plenty of not only delays, but cancellations.
I am commenting on the SEA-SFO and LAX-SFO routes only. those flights - other than very rarely on UA - get cancelled, they - other than with AS - go to rolling "flow control" delay. I fly these routes nearly weekly, they rarely (other than the scattered LAX-SFO on UA) get cancelled. UA does cut some UX routes, but I am unaware of any pattern I have ever seen on cutting UA routes due to flow-control.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I don’t think the AARs have changed much since 2010. What has changed are some of the procedures like CSPR, which allows closer offset approaches in lower ceilings. SFO has 1nm spacing requirements and the other airports with CSPR approaches (like SEA), have to use 1.5nm. At least with CSPR they can bring things a bit higher than the ~30 AAR they used to get when the evil clouds moved in.

Another thing that has changed at SFO since 2010 is traffic volume. If they start bumping up to the 60 aircraft/hour limit earlier and for longer periods of time, delays just get worse and worse and can’t clear once the evil clouds move in. There was SFO flow control at 7a when I got on my flight the other morning. Ramp space issues are also causing issues, but that might be more of a WN thing than AS since the construction is over in T1.

The three things that’ll fix this are the FAA making it a level 3 slot airport (like JFK/LGA/DCA) or a new runway (very unlikely) or NextGen.
There is no way that SFO will be slot restricted, the airport can handel the capacity, delays are not chronic, they are weather related. The chance of runway realignment went away when Brown did not push the issue when selling the new International terminal and then allowing the "salt pond" offset for more bay fill to be used for other purposes. SFO will only be "fixed" with NextGen (which I think has a currently target of 2025). The other "solution" would be to implement landing fees which were based upon landing slots, not just weight, which would cause the airlines to use bigger planes. Unfortunately no one has been willing to push that fix.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
I am commenting on the SEA-SFO and LAX-SFO routes only. those flights - other than very rarely on UA - get cancelled, they - other than with AS - go to rolling "flow control" delay. I fly these routes nearly weekly, they rarely (other than the scattered LAX-SFO on UA) get cancelled. UA does cut some UX routes, but I am unaware of any pattern I have ever seen on cutting UA routes due to flow-control.
AA and DL have relatively poor performance on SEA/LAX-SFO compared to their network performance, particularly since AA went all Eagle. It’s more difficult to track, especially for DL which changes flight numbers frequently to avoid historical stats.

Just because YOU don’t see it on the board doesn’t make it so...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by spin88
There is no way that SFO will be slot restricted, the airport can handel the capacity, delays are not chronic, they are weather related.
Did you see the article in the San Francisco Chronicle this week that forecasts slot control may be on the way in a few years?

SFO prepares for slots as more flights crowd in

If, or when, SFO reaches runway capacity (the number of take-offs and landings that can be accommodated in any given day), it could become the next big U.S. airport to become slot-controlled.

"We are preparing for a future that acknowledges the runway constraints that currently exist," said Airport spokesman Doug Yakel.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Did you see the article in the San Francisco Chronicle this week that forecasts slot control may be on the way in a few years?

SFO prepares for slots as more flights crowd in
I live in SF, are you suggesting I would EVER read the Chron? No way!!!

I actually think this supports what I said. The spokesperson talks about slot control in 2024-2025 if the number of scheduled take-offs and landings keeps going up, and about how the airport is urging the use of larger planes.

Slot control would only apply if (a) schedualed take-offs/landings exceeded 60/hour, and (b) Next Gen did not address the issue. When the new T1 is done (I think in 2021 or so) then the available gates will exceed the run-way capacity at peak times, and there may be an issue, but its not the same issue as flow control.

p.s. While I know next-gen will fix the weather issue (since VFR spacing will not be needed) does anyone know if it will allow less spacing between planes than the current 2 minutes or so? I.e. will Next-gen allow tighter spacing than is currently allowed in clear weather?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
Are you able to suggest a constructive solution that works within the operating constraints Alaska faces, or is the plan to sit in your CEO armchair and offer criticism?
What unique operating constraints does AS face that its competitors do not? AS has a remote stand/bus operation at SFO that gives it even more gate flexibility than other carriers. Plus it has overflow gates at the INTL A terminal.

They are choosing to do business at a delayed airport. The solution is to figure out how to do business as they've advertised rather than substituting a non-equivalent option.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by channa
What unique operating constraints does AS face that its competitors do not? AS has a remote stand/bus operation at SFO that gives it even more gate flexibility than other carriers. Plus it has overflow gates at the INTL A terminal.
I wonder how many remote stand or Int'l Gates they have access to at SFO? On two recent flights, we were left sitting on the tarmac twice for about 25 minutes after landing at SFO in late evening hours because of "no gate available" in T2. In both cases, it wasn't because of pending departures, but because they hadn't yet managed to tow an aircraft that had arrived earlier in the evening over to remote parking for the night so we could pull into the gate and deplane. I would have much rather they just parked us at the Int'l gates and let us deplane there instead of leaving us sitting on the plane.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I wonder how many remote stand or Int'l Gates they have access to at SFO? On two recent flights, we were left sitting on the tarmac twice for about 25 minutes after landing at SFO in late evening hours because of "no gate available" in T2. In both cases, it wasn't because of pending departures, but because they hadn't yet managed to tow an aircraft that had arrived earlier in the evening over to remote parking for the night so we could pull into the gate and deplane. I would have much rather they just parked us at the Int'l gates and let us deplane there instead of leaving us sitting on the plane.
The problem is a lack of staff. With the merger they moved some AS flghts over to T2 (they all used to be in the A gates in International South) and they just don't have the space. They COULD have put you into South International, except they would (a) have had to book the gate, and (b) have staff over their.

This is fixable, but AS would have to spend more $$$ to use extra gates
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Yes, this happened to me twice in the past week. Late evening arrival, but empty planes still were at the gate. The bus stands were open and not being used. Each delay amounted to 35 min or so sitting on the tarmac. Annoying for sure...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by channa

They are choosing to do business at a delayed airport. The solution is to figure out how to do business as they've advertised rather than substituting a non-equivalent option.
United can cancel/de-prioritize Express flights, disrupting passengers.

Other airlines with smaller operations at SFO cancel flights, disrupting passengers.

It is possible to disrupt fewer passengers by under-utilizing gates on an on-going basis, providing more operating flexibility during flow control. Of course, there will still be delays. You'll also pay more for your ticket, since it costs $$$ to have committed infrastructure.

Basically, passengers will be disrupted when there's flow control. I recognize that some passengers would prefer to be disrupted in different ways. I'm sure that Alaska appreciates your disruption and will work to deliver it in the safest, most reliable way possible.
AS Flyer and ucdtim17 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

AA and DL have relatively poor performance on SEA/LAX-SFO compared to their network performance, particularly since AA went all Eagle. It’s more difficult to track, especially for DL which changes flight numbers frequently to avoid historical stats.
That is largely uninformed fiction if quite popular across FlyerTalk. DOT rules for on-time reporting:

A flight that is not a new flight will be assigned the on-time performance code calculated for the flight that it replaces, even if the two flights do not have the same flight number. DOT Technical Directive dated 8/15/17

New flight means a flight added to a carrier's schedule to operate in a specific origin-destination city pair and not scheduled to depart within 30 minutes of any discontinued flight that was contained in the carrier's published schedules for the same city pair during the previous month. 14 CFR 234.2
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'm sure that Alaska appreciates your disruption and will work to deliver it in the safest, most reliable way possible.
The beauty of the internet is that I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not, but it's seriously the funniest thing I've read on Flyertalk today.

I'm also thrilled that this thread continues to thrive. Really interesting stuff about CSPR and NextGen, of which I wasn't familiar.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The beauty of the internet is that I have no idea if this is sarcasm or not, but it's seriously the funniest thing I've read on Flyertalk today.

I'm also thrilled that this thread continues to thrive. Really interesting stuff about CSPR and NextGen, of which I wasn't familiar.
Your disruption is important to us. Please hold and the next available airport will take your diversion momentarily.
NoLaGent, PV_Premier and flatdawgs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.