Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Another problem of not having OAK flights is, aside from the direct problems generated by focusing most of your traffic at SFO, is most of the diversions go to SJC where AS has more capacity for handling added flights. For east bay travelers using the already less convenient SFO, this turns the 60-90 min trip home into what could easily be 3-4 hours (SJC->SFO->home). Fortunately for my one experience with this, it was an SFO-PDX flight diverted to SJC so it was easy to get on OAK-SEA-PDX and ultimately preferable to the SFO-PDX flight I was supposed to be on. I would be pissed though to have to get to or from SJC with no alternative option for OAK.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:59 pm

It isn't really clear to me what rationale AS uses when determining whether to divert an SFO flight to SJC or OAK. Possibly there is more capacity to accommodate diversions in SJC. What I do notice is that the ERJs tend to get diverted more often than mainline flights, but there are certainly still some mainline diversions.

Overall, while this policy may annoy passengers, it is necessary to maintain some semblance of a schedule. SFO was experiencing delays in excess of 3 hours at times. Planes routing back and forth through SFO on short hops would be massively delayed by the end of the day, so the choice is either divert some flights or cancel them entirely.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Dec 17, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Overall, while this policy may annoy passengers, it is necessary to maintain some semblance of a schedule. SFO was experiencing delays in excess of 3 hours at times. Planes routing back and forth through SFO on short hops would be massively delayed by the end of the day, so the choice is either divert some flights or cancel them entirely.
the issue, of course, is that "operate the flight but use an alternate airport" sounds like a great idea writ large, but unsurprisingly it becomes an emotional experience and a PITA when it's YOUR flight

for those who are interested, try taking DL regional jet flights (and probably AA) to/from JFK/LGA when the weather gets nasty ... very occasional reroutes thru SWF, but a lot of cancellations and a lot of very long IROPS recovery times
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
It isn't really clear to me what rationale AS uses when determining whether to divert an SFO flight to SJC or OAK. Possibly there is more capacity to accommodate diversions in SJC. What I do notice is that the ERJs tend to get diverted more often than mainline flights, but there are certainly still some mainline diversions.

I don't keep stats on the diversions; it seems that more go to SJC. E175s from either operator do go to both but the Airbii don't yet go to OAK (to my knowledge).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
JetSuiteX diverted my BUR-CCR flight Sunday, when it was raining heavily, to BUR-OAK, and sent me a text about four hours before scheduled departure. Guessing this was due to runway length.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Had this happen to me on Wednesday. My original SEA-SFO flight (which was QX-operated) was being diverted to OAK, so everyone with a connection got booked onto an A320 leaving not long after after a delay of its own. Got moved from 3A to 21F on an F ticket, but still haven’t heard from AS about downgrade compensation.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Periods of heavy rain today in the Bay Area. Looks like QX2267 SEA-SFO was sent to OAK, and AS1935 LAX-SFO was sent to SJC. But no other inbound diversions I can see from a quick check of Flightaware.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Just wondering what recent experiences have been with this? Guessing there have been a bunch of diversion with the weather this weekend.
Wanted to see if they still did the bus to SFO and if they were (or were not) reimbursing if you find your own way home.
Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
SFO is a mess today....heres the latest I see for SUNDAY.

AS1899 (LAX>>SFO) diverted to SJC
AS3449 (SLC >> SFO) diverted to SJC (operated by Skywest)
AS2102 (SEA >> SFO) diverted to OAK (operated by Horizon)
AS2267 (SEA >> SFO) diverted to OAK (operated by Horizon)

Not that bad in terms of arrivals; the same is for planned departures from OAK and SJC....one QXE went on to SNA....PDX. I think just a lot are just cancelled...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The more interesting ones today are flights from the east coast that didn't make it to SFO without a stop. Pretty rare to see those flights diverted. Usually we see flights to/from Kansas City, Orange County and Salt Lake City at the top of the diversion list.

AS1187, the 10:15am flight from Newark, due in at 2pm, was diverted to Las Vegas, eventually arriving at SFO at 4:42pm.

AS1025, the 11:30am flight from JFK, due in at 3:24pm, was diverted to Las Vegas, eventually arriving at SFO at 5:35pm.

AS1193, the 5:29pm flight from Newark, due in at 9:20pm, departed 2 hours late and is en route to Denver. with ETA of 9:26pm. It's due to depart for SFO at 10:26pm and land after midnight, so around a 3 hour delay.

From the FAA:
https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Due to WEATHER / WIND, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 4 hours and 21 minutes

Last edited by tom911; Jan 6, 2019 at 7:12 pm Reason: added FAA info
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Headwinds? (Guessing wildly)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:22 pm

On the local CBS news at 6pm, they reported SFO was down to single runway ops, and that seriously restricts capacity. There are high wind warnings up on the Bay Bridge and I80 over Donner Summit is closed due to whiteout conditions. It's a pretty good storm. Winds are due to decrease around midnight.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic
Yep it was pretty messy at SFO Sunday, however gate and ramp folks were doing an incredible job. Flew AS 1024 SFO-JFK which departed about an hour late.

They warned us the climb out was gonna be rough and they used part of the gate hold time to - I kid you not - restock all the barf bags.. 😂
FlyingBear, williwaw and DrAlex like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://abc7news.com/weather/embarca...cials/5025424/

That's just a couple of blocks from me.

I can't imagine how bad the airport must have been (they got it a lot worse than we did I think)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:12 am

AS1183, the 7:15am departure from Newark to SFO, has been diverted to Las Vegas with scheduled arrival time of 9:55am. Departs at 11:00am for SFO. No current delays posted at SFO. Comments in Expert Flyer say "due pilot crew" so maybe someone has timed out and can't make it all the way to SFO.

AS1011, the 7:30am departure from JFK to SFO, has been diverted to Salt Lake City and then onto Las Vegas where it shows cancelled. Too late to catch the EWR-SFO flight that has been rerouted to LAS, so maybe they'll be rerouted on a nonstop LAS-SFO. Comments from Expert Flyer "due flight attendant crew".

AS381, the 8:05am BOS-SFO, has been diverted to Kansas City. Expert Flyer says "fuel stop due headwinds". About a two hour delay into SFO. This is a 737-900.

AS1023, the 9:30am JFK-SFO, has been diverted to Denver where Expert Flyer shows "irregular operations/technical cancellation".

Last edited by tom911; Jan 7, 2019 at 10:30 am Reason: added 2 more flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.