Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:15 pm

Trying to get to DAL (which is 15min from my sister's house vs 45min from DFW) at a reasonable time coming from SEA on 31 October.

Looks like I can connect through SFO or LAX to get there at 5:55PM or 4:31PM respectively (while leaving SEA around 8AM). Both routes would be all on Airbus aircraft: are my upgrade chances as a Gold better out of one of those locations? SJC and PDX have E175s (seemingly easy upgrades that even have U spots open for GGUs) that arrive in the 1-2PM range, but I'd have to leave SEA at 5AM, which definitely isn't worth it (and adds like another $40 in Lyft bc Link isn't running yet).

Another factor, how convenient is SFO Centurion Lounge from AS gates?

Or am I being stupid and should just go direct from SEA-DFW? 6AM departure/12PM arrival has U space but that's a $40 Lyft on both sides; 12:40PM departure/6:40PM arrival would dump me there right at the tail end of rush hour. ��
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
Trying to get to DAL (which is 15min from my sister's house vs 45min from DFW) at a reasonable time coming from SEA on 31 October.

Looks like I can connect through SFO or LAX to get there at 5:55PM or 4:31PM respectively (while leaving SEA around 8AM). Both routes would be all on Airbus aircraft: are my upgrade chances as a Gold better out of one of those locations? SJC and PDX have E175s (seemingly easy upgrades that even have U spots open for GGUs) that arrive in the 1-2PM range, but I'd have to leave SEA at 5AM, which definitely isn't worth it (and adds like another $40 in Lyft bc Link isn't running yet).

Or am I being stupid and should just go direct from SEA-DFW? 6AM departure/12PM arrival has U space but that's a $40 Lyft on both sides; 12:40PM departure/6:40PM arrival would dump me there right at the tail end of rush hour. ��
If you want nonstop, how about
  • 3360 SEA 9:15 am DAL3:28 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders

��
Centurion is in Terminal 3, which does NOT have airside connection between T2 (where AS (VX) operations are out of). The centurion is usually quite busy so if you have a small layover, not worth shlepping all the way over there and going through security twice, T2 is also one of the nicest terminals in the US, the Centurion may be a little less busy now with the opening of the Polaris lounge, but I haven't been since. Going from T2 <-> T3 could be as easy as a 12 minute commute there and back with Pre and no line, but I have also experienced 10-20 minute waits at Pre in T2 alone, so really varies.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
If you want nonstop, how about
  • 3360 SEA 9:15 am DAL3:28 pm
Looks like the time changes in the fall and it's a 4PM-10PM flight on the date I'm flying (31 Oct). Might go with that, as there's U, though it changes my visit from a dinner and visit affair to just "Hi, thanks for the bed" before I continue onto CUN in the morning (whole exercise is about getting to CUN early afternoon to meet friends for Zilara without red-eying or arriving in Mexico in the evening). Who knew travel was so hard?!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Question Interline AS->HA?

I just bought two separate trips for our adult kids.
Ticket one is PDX-OGG on AS
Ticket two is OGG-LIH on HA.

There is a 2 hr connection time at OGG built in.

Question: Will AS allow bags to be sent on to LIH from PDX?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by ijkh
I just bought two separate trips for our adult kids.
Ticket one is PDX-OGG on AS
Ticket two is OGG-LIH on HA.

There is a 2 hr connection time at OGG built in.

Question: Will AS allow bags to be sent on to LIH from PDX?
Can Alaska interline luggage with Etihad?

Seems from this previous post they do interline. But you can always call and double check:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...e/checked-bags
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Recently status matched from AA to Gold 75K. I wanted to clarify how upgrades work here... I purchased an H fare last week eligible for instant upgrades for 75K but U inventory is not available. It is now ~72 hours prior to departure and have not cleared. If waitlisted for upgrade at the airport, does this mean I would be below other 75K's who purchased, say a T fare, a month ago (since it's prioritized by 'request time')?

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by swgsword
Recently status matched from AA to Gold 75K. I wanted to clarify how upgrades work here... I purchased an H fare last week eligible for instant upgrades for 75K but U inventory is not available. It is now ~72 hours prior to departure and have not cleared. If waitlisted for upgrade at the airport, does this mean I would be below other 75K's who purchased, say a T fare, a month ago (since it's prioritized by 'request time')?

Thanks
No, you'll be ahead of them.^ Upgrade priority is by status, fare class, then finally by when requested.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If one is, say, booked SEA-PDX-LAS, when the SDC window opens (for MVPG) will there be an option to change to the SEA-LAS nonstop?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
If one is, say, booked SEA-PDX-LAS, when the SDC window opens (for MVPG) will there be an option to change to the SEA-LAS nonstop?
By the SDC rules, no, origin/destination/routing must remain the same. You might get lucky with an agent bending the rules.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swgsword

I purchased an H fare last week eligible for instant upgrades for 75K but U inventory is not available. It is now ~72 hours prior to departure and have not cleared. If waitlisted for upgrade at the airport, does this mean I would be below other 75K's who purchased, say a T fare, a month ago (since it's prioritized by 'request time')?

Thanks
When you purchase an eligible fare where U is not available for immediate upgrade, you are moved immediately to the upgrade waitlist. Anyone with any status that purchases an ineligible fare is added to the "upgrade request queue for that status," not the upgrade waitlist itself.

At the respective windows, the Elite member who purchased an ineligible fare is moved from the "upgrade request queue" to the waitlist, not in the order the fare was purchased, but first by fare class purchased and then by purchase date/time in the event of a tie.

Purchasing an H fare as a MVPG75K a week out will put you high up on the upgrade waitlist and you will get upgraded before ALL ineligible purchased fares, however you still may not get upgraded. Since eligible fares are added to the waitlist at the time the fare is purchased, there may be others ahead of you on the waitlist that purchased an eligible fare before you did. A MVP who purchased a Y or S fare two months ago would be upgraded before a MVPG who purchased a Y, S, B or M fare last month who would be upgraded before you, as a MVPG75K who purchased an H fare last week.

Had U space been available two months ago, the MVP would have been upgraded after purchasing the eligible fare then.

The upgrade processor will run until approximately 1 hour before departure then the flight will be handed off to the gate agents. If there are still F seats available, even if not designated as U, the gate agent will assign by tier and then time waitlisted.

This is where the website is a bit ambiguous. Do they really revert back to tier status and the time the fare was purchased? It specifically states, tier and time waitlisted, but ineligible fares are not waitlisted until the upgrade window opens for that tier and the time the fare was purchased is only used to break a tie when they are moved from the upgrade request queue to the upgrade waitlist.

Since you purchased an eligible fare you would be waitlisted before any ineligble fares are added to the waitlist from the "upgrade request queue." In theory, a MVPG75K who purchased a T class fare a month ago would be behind you on the waitlist.

If you are on an Airbus flight, U space rarely opens before check-in commences.

James
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

By the SDC rules, no, origin/destination/routing must remain the same. You might get lucky with an agent bending the rules.
You would also lose EQM! "Oh.... the horror"
LAS-PDX-SEA 1263 EQM
LAS-SEA 866 EQM
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Can a "Guaranteed Airfare Credit" (Low Fare Guarantee) be claimed for a flight where a companion fare was used? I can't do it online, but wasn't sure if it could be done with customer service.

Also, we're currently assigned exit row seats (non-premium) on a 737 (SAN-KON & KON-SAN). Is there any chance of losing those seats because I took the Low Fare Guarantee? If so, it's not worth my $10.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by twitch76
Can a "Guaranteed Airfare Credit" (Low Fare Guarantee) be claimed for a flight where a companion fare was used? I can't do it online, but wasn't sure if it could be done with customer service.
You should be able to do this online - I've done it many times with companion tickets. Of course, you'll only get a credit on the full-fare passenger. If for some reason it's not working online, customer service should be able to do it.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Another really stupid question -- (I do love this thread... thank you all for your expertise with a newbie!)

Can you help me parse this statement:

"For tickets purchased 24 hours or more prior to your scheduled departure time, you may make one change to this itinerary, or you may cancel and refund it to the original form of payment within 24 hours of the original purchase date with no fee."

(I'm MVP, if it matters)

Does "within 24 hours of the original purchase date with no fee" clause apply to both "you may make one change to this itinerary" and "cancel and refund..." Or does it only apply to the second clause (cancel & refund)? The sentence, as written, is grammatically ambiguous, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.