Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ahh.lun
If I am in Osaka and my final destination is Vancouver and I want to take First Class JAL.

Does alaska miles allow a re-position from Osaka to Tokyo? Then Tokyo to LAX, then to YVR?
I can't get it to come up on random dates from TYO-YVR except for the nonstop in the older angle flats. Two issues, even if it's a valid routing
a) JAL doesn't release domestic intraJapan award flights until T-60, and usually the long haul F will be gone unless you have very flexible dates.
b) would need Alaska saver coach/first from LAX to YVR

I would book to BLI, since that does come up and once booked, see if you can switch SEA-BLI to SEA-YVR. Then add OSA-TYO when that opens up.

If you don't need to be in LAX, consider HND-SFO which also has a First cabin. HND has better connections from ITM (usually more convenient than KIX depending where you'll be) for either a tacked on award flight or a padded separate cash ticket. You can't redeem Class J (day of departure upgrade only, space available) and often the advance purchase is around $110-120 so 5K miles to me is more valuable and I'd get a better seat.

Additionally, if you decide to pass on flying OSA-TYO, HND is more convenient to the Shinkansen via Shinagawa.

Last edited by rustykettel; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:18 pm Reason: oops, older angle flats not lie flats
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:55 am

Hello,

What would be the best way to book flights for a family of three (me, my wife and a 4 yrs old son) w/ a companion fare + 3 discount codes ($100 each)? Can I combine all the codes in one and use it together w/ the companion fare pass in the same booking?

Thank you!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by fanatic
Hello,

What would be the best way to book flights for a family of three (me, my wife and a 4 yrs old son) w/ a companion fare + 3 discount codes ($100 each)? Can I combine all the codes in one and use it together w/ the companion fare pass in the same booking?

Thank you!
No, each transaction can only have a single discount code. The companion fare is a discount code, so you'd probably want to do 1 transaction with companion fare (probably you and your son, in case of irrops so you're on the same itinerary/re-accommodated together), and book your wife on a separate itinerary using one of the $100 discounts. You won't be able to apply the other two discount codes to either of these purchases.
fanatic likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
No, each transaction can only have a single discount code. The companion fare is a discount code, so you'd probably want to do 1 transaction with companion fare (probably you and your son, in case of irrops so you're on the same itinerary/re-accommodated together), and book your wife on a separate itinerary using one of the $100 discounts. You won't be able to apply the other two discount codes to either of these purchases.
Thank you! That's really unfortunate :/
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
and book your wife on a separate itinerary using one of the $100 discounts. You won't be able to apply the other two discount codes to either of these purchases.
You can also book the separate itinerary as two oneway tickets using the $100 discount code for each one.
be_rettSEA and fanatic like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rustykettel

I can't get it to come up on random dates from TYO-YVR except for the nonstop in the older lie flats. Two issues, even if it's a valid routing
a) JAL doesn't release domestic intraJapan award flights until T-60, and usually the long haul F will be gone unless you have very flexible dates.
b) would need Alaska saver coach/first from LAX to YVR

I would book to BLI, since that does come up and once booked, see if you can switch SEA-BLI to SEA-YVR. Then add OSA-TYO when that opens up.

If you don't need to be in LAX, consider HND-SFO which also has a First cabin. HND has better connections from ITM (usually more convenient than KIX depending where you'll be) for either a tacked on award flight or a padded separate cash ticket. You can't redeem Class J (day of departure upgrade only, space available) and often the advance purchase is around $110-120 so 5K miles to me is more valuable and I'd get a better seat.

Additionally, if you decide to pass on flying OSA-TYO, HND is more convenient to the Shinkansen via Shinagawa.
This matches my experience, with the exception of the domestic connections. I found I could get the HND-HIJ connection but only in Y. JL theoretically never releases domestic J seats. So I did SEA-SFO in F, SFO-HND in J, and HND-HIJ in Y. The story I heard was that you could get award space on a domestic leg T>60 if it's connecting from/to an international flight.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
The story I heard was that you could get award space on a domestic leg T>60 if it's connecting from/to an international flight.
That's what it was supposed to be, but partners/JAL's systems weren't blocking intra Japan only T-60+ bookings. JAL changed it fairly recently to block any domestic award until ~T-60 now.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:14 pm

Hi,

Ive a BA paid F ticket from LHR which connects into SFO-PDX on Alaska.
I cant see seat selection for Alaska flights is there any way to change/select as BA wont allow me.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by acquiescefc
Hi,

Ive a BA paid F ticket from LHR which connects into SFO-PDX on Alaska.
I cant see seat selection for Alaska flights is there any way to change/select as BA wont allow me.
Ask BA for the Alaska PNR and you will then be able to choose your seat on Alaska’s website.

Alternatively, you can try entering your e-ticket number under Manage Booking on the Alaska website. Not sure if it will recognize a 125 ticket number though.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by rustykettel

You can also book the separate itinerary as two oneway tickets using the $100 discount code for each one.
Are the $100 discount codes transferrable? I haven't used one of these in a while so I don't remember. If the 3 codes were issued under 3 different names (i.e. one for each family member) it might not be possible to buy 2 one way tickets for one person using them. Just something to check out before doing this. If it works then it's a great use of the available discounts.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:29 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:37 pm

Question about the BoA Alaska Visa signature: Supposed we book for flights in June next year but cancel the BoA card before travel date, would we still got one free check bag when we travel later? Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:45 pm

Hello everyone!

First post (really nervous) and it's the first year that I try to achieve MVP Gold by end of year (really excited). So far I've got about 17k miles with three more trips that add up to a total of about 13k miles lined up in September and October. So IIUC for MVP Gold I will need about 10k extra miles with AS or 20k miles with AS partners. I do have a trip to China scheduled in November, and I am trying to figure about an itinerary through which I could earn about 20k miles with AS partners. The itinerary I have in mind is:
Outbound: SEA - LAX - CSX - PVG by AS/HU, Economy Flex Saver and
Inbound: PVG - DXB - SEA by EK, Economy Flex
The total price is about $2000 and I would presumably be able to earn about 19000 miles (For some reason I just couldn't find the class of service for the EK trip, so I am not 100% sure about that). Will the itinerary work as intended? Or is there a better option?

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your thoughts!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by MattYi
The itinerary I have in mind is:
Outbound: SEA - LAX - CSX - PVG by AS/HU, Economy Flex Saver and
Inbound: PVG - DXB - SEA by EK, Economy Flex
The total price is about $2000 and I would presumably be able to earn about 19000 miles (For some reason I just couldn't find the class of service for the EK trip, so I am not 100% sure about that). Will the itinerary work as intended? Or is there a better option?

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your thoughts!
For that much money, you could probably find a direct/one stop business class ticket to PVG and back, maybe even a little more on AA or HU.

Random date example from LAX-PVG R/T on HU business:
https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...01*.USD.200201

November looks wide open for these amounts, and HU is a pretty nice airline to take, especially if you get their new business class seats.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari

For that much money, you could probably find a direct/one stop business class ticket to PVG and back, maybe even a little more on AA or HU.

Random date example from LAX-PVG R/T on HU business:

November looks wide open for these amounts, and HU is a pretty nice airline to take, especially if you get their new business class seats.
I was thinking the same thing .... except the AA part. US based carriers just aren't that cheap, but many of the mainland Chinese carriers are.

Another suggestion is to look just across the border, as there is a glut of carriers flying to Asia with both cheap coach and Biz fares. IMHO, you should be able to fly to China for under $1K in coach.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I was thinking the same thing .... except the AA part. US based carriers just aren't that cheap, but many of the mainland Chinese carriers are.
I've gotten AA for <2k out of either LAX/ORD, ORD they are ending, so maybe less capacity will make it harder, but from a earning rate they are one of the best up there with a 50% COS bonus. And while I would push for Asian carriers any time, the cheapest to Asia will most likely be out of YVR, JAL will have angle flat seats from there with a stop in Tokyo, which will break up the journey into two longer segments, versus a straight shot. And any other carrier, SQ/CX/KE will most likely not have a cheap ticket. But if you're going to do coach, you should be able to find <1k and I would rather take them.
DrAlex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.