Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, no need to fly AS. You can qualify for elite status with partner flights only.

Fare class D on SQ only earns 100% EQM. The 100% Additional bonus is RDM only, just like an elite bonus. Only F,A,Z,C,J on SQ earn Class of Service bonuses, which count towards EQM & RDM.

As far as the mileage calculation, not sure if you're doing two AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd or AMD-sin-man-iah/iah-man-sin-amd.

For AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd, actual miles per Milecalc is 28210. You'll earn 28210 EQM (100% on fare class D) and 56420 RDM (100% base + 100% Additional bonus). You would be MVP after the 25000 EQM mile posted. It's possible you could get AS to give you the MVP bonus for 25K+ EQM flights, but it would likely require a manual request and may not be granted as you didn't have MVP status in the system at the time of the flight(s).

If you did an additional AMD-sin-man-iah-man-sin-amd, you would earn another 28210 EQM(100% base miles) and 70525 RDM (100% base + 100% Additional bonus + 50% MVP bonus) and would be MVP Gold. Again, you may be able to get AS to give the MVPG 100% bonus for the flight(s) beyond 50K EQM miles, but no guarantees.
Very good info and thanks for your quick reply. It's complicated and couldn't find this info on AS web site. Maybe there was, but I couldn't find any calculation examples. It's disappointing because, with DL, there are often bonus miles counted towards Medallion Qualifying miles. For example, I got nice and cheap 150% MQM and 200% redeemable miles from AM in J. I'm not too sure if MVP is valuable for me, I may consider making the return portion from IAH next year since MVP Gold is out of my reach anyway, or I may consider CMB departure/arrival with other carriers.

Originally Posted by ctporter
If you are getting the bonus above the actual miles for status by using partner airlines that is a very good deal!
Yes, it's easy to get status with DL by flying its partners.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ctporter
I also note that on the Mileage Plan Elite member benefits page it says that members granted complimentary status, including status match from another program are not eligible for these bonus miles (the 50% for MVP, 100% for Gold, and 125% for MVPG75k). If you are getting the bonus above the actual miles for status by using partner airlines that is a very good deal!
This caveat refers to the 50,000 bonus miles granted when 75K is achieved. The elite bonus miles (50% MVP, 100% Gold, 125% 75K) will still be earned on top of actual flight miles/class of services bonuses.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:17 pm

Looking for some advice on what's the best way to handle this schedule change situation. Checked in the app today and saw a schedule change from:
AS175 MKE -> SEA 4:15pm -> 6:20pm
AS934 SEA -> SFO 7:50pm -> 9:59pm

to:
AS175 MKE -> SEA 7:15pm -> 9:39pm
AS1092 SEA -> SFO 7:40pm -> 9:52pm

1) Annoyed they haven't even emailed about this yet
2) Would it even allow an impossible reservation like this if I tried to accept? Surprised it's trying to make me accept this at all.
3) Unfortunately, looking at MKE -> SFO on that day, every AS itinerary either has an overnight SEA layover or leaves 5,6,10am with two stops.. Would they ever rebook onto another airline (without needing to be pushy with an agent)? Or at least offer something (voucher, upgrade, etc) for taking a pretty terrible replacement itinerary?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer
Looking for some advice on what's the best way to handle this schedule change situation. Checked in the app today and saw a schedule change from:

to:

2) Would it even allow an impossible reservation like this if I tried to accept? Surprised it's trying to make me accept this at all.
3) Unfortunately, looking at MKE -> SFO on that day, every AS itinerary either has an overnight SEA layover or leaves 5,6,10am with two stops.. Would they ever rebook onto another airline (without needing to be pushy with an agent)? Or at least offer something (voucher, upgrade, etc) for taking a pretty terrible replacement itinerary?
They will likely offer to pay for a hotel or refund.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer

to:

Probably not what you want to do, but I do a lot of positioning myself, so first though was Amtrak to Chicago, and
  • 29 ORD 2:05 pm SEA 4:32 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:18 pm

The seat map in my reservation isn't matching anything on the Alaska website, so I'm trying to figure out where to sit. Normally with the options left, I'd just grab 17D + 17F for my wife and I, and hope we get lucky with an empty middle seat. But on the airbus planes, row 8 or row 10 should be the exit row, not row 17. I'm wondering if I should just grab row 8 for both of us, or risk it with row 10? Row 17 would be something I'd grab if I expected the flight to change to a 737, but I'm not 100% sure that'll happen.

Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by quemalo
The seat map in my reservation isn't matching anything on the Alaska website, so I'm trying to figure out where to sit. Normally with the options left, I'd just grab 17D + 17F for my wife and I, and hope we get lucky with an empty middle seat. But on the airbus planes, row 8 or row 10 should be the exit row, not row 17. I'm wondering if I should just grab row 8 for both of us, or risk it with row 10? Row 17 would be something I'd grab if I expected the flight to change to a 737, but I'm not 100% sure that'll happen.

This looks like a placeholder for possible Airbus <-> Boeing swap
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about. It kind of makes me want to just grab row 17 for now, and then check back in a month or two to see.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
Or AS is prepping to renumber the Airbus Series aircraft so exit rows and bulkheads are in line with AS' Boeing fleet.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Or AS is prepping to renumber the Airbus Series aircraft so exit rows and bulkheads are in line with AS' Boeing fleet.
I doubt they would do that until the interior seating is reconfigured.

James
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Alaska newbie with another two questions. We are flying F out of HNL to ANC.

How strictly-enforced are the checked baggage weight rules? Will they be charging me if my Bag weighs in at 52 lbs?

Also, I have a carryon which “generally” is indundustry-compliant. It should pass the looks, test. Are bags like this routinely iplaced in a sizer?

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I doubt they would do that until the interior seating is reconfigured.

James
My Nov flight seat map now shows the AS 737 seat configuration, so the question is how far in advance are you booking?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
This is really dependent on day, flight, time of year, etc. Its not just a simple 42% answer.

Thread from LAX for cash upgrade, I know its not exactly SFO but I would say somewhere in between since LAX and SFO are not SEA/PDX, and since LAX/SFO have a lot of competition and better products on other airlines.

cash upgrade JFKLAX, any strategy?
Thanks, I know it's not a simple answer, but having some ballpark idea would be useful.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Where will your TPAC & TATL flights take you and what airlines are most efficient in getting you there?
The travel would be at the behest of a client, and would be 25-50 countries over multiple years on all continents except Antarctica. Obviously, in that scenario, no single airline would suffice, but I'd aim to direct my travel to the same alliance and credit to a single airline FF program.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:13 pm

Flying a 737-800 in F tomorrow. Will there be a closet available for them to hang a suit in a suit protector?

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beastieb
Flying a 737-800 in F tomorrow. Will there be a closet available for them to hang a suit in a suit protector?

Thanks
Yes, there is a closet in the front. I'm not sure of the dimensions if the bottom of a suit bag would touch the ground but I've had my sweater or coat hung up lots of times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.