Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
A "where to post?" question

I indirectly discovered a Reddit thread where someone was looking for help in finding a keepsake coin lost in Anchorage airport, and I thought this might be a good place to post the pic and the link?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Domo5

A follow up question would be - does it always make sense to upfare as early as possible? For AS partners who do not have low price guarantee or whatsoever, is it likely that I get a lower price closer to the departure date, or on the departure day at the airport?
Welcome to Alaska & Mileage Plan. AS Partners do not provide a class of service bonus on Y fares. In fact, some discounted economy fares on some partners don't earn any EQM/RDM such as SQ while others will earn 25%, 50% or 75%. 100% EQM is usually for the highest Y fare buckets. QF does give you a mile for a mile. Class of service bonus on Partners are only offered in PE, J & F. For instance, CX PE is 100% + 10% COS. CX PE has three fare buckets, booking sooner would give you a better opportunity to purchase from the cheaper bucket in that class.

If you are looking to achieve Elite status, MVP will require 20K EQM for ALL AS Flights or 25K EQM for a combination of AS & Partner flights. You would need to upfare 13.3K miles on AS at 50% COS.

Looking at an AS SEA-JFK non-stop for September 1st, L class, the cheapest available class, is $304. S class is $704 and Y class is $799. That is a pretty hefty upfare for an additional 1211 EQM.

CX currently has an excellent PE fare from LAX to Asia. LAX-HKG-SIN return is $1444 ($1344 if you use promotional code ALASKA) The distance one-way 8,848 miles, return 17,696 miles. You would earn an additional 10% EQM COS bonus for a total of 19,465 EQM/RDM. This is, obviously, a lot more efficient than upfaring $400 for an additional 1,211 EQM if time permits the LAX-SIN run.

AS flights < 500 miles in distance will earn 500 EQM/RDM so a BLI-SEA-PDX would earn 1000 EQM/RDM while the non-stop BLI-PDX would only earn 500.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 2, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I booked a first class ticket on AS using AA miles. Do I have access to the Alaska Lounge at my departing airport?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by bta15
I booked a first class ticket on AS using AA miles. Do I have access to the Alaska Lounge at my departing airport?
Yes, if the lounge in your departing city is an AS lounge.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by safari ari
Yes, if the lounge in your departing city is an AS lounge.
Yes it is, ANC. I figured this was the case but I wanted to verify. I have a PP but sometimes the sign is out especially in the late PM.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: AK
Newbie question booking partner awards

I am looking to book 4 tickets to Asia together for next summer. Trying to maximize points and destinations by booking stopovers and traveling open jaw. Trying research so that I am prepared when I speak with agents (I will want to book on phone for Cathay return and to use two frequent flier accounts).

We are trying to fly out of PDX after June 15. One issue I am running into is available flights from PDX to a West Coast JAL gateway city . Do I understand correctly that when I am looking at the Alaska Air milage calendar for the domestic (Alaska) leg I am looking for seats "priced" 12.5k miles or below? Trying to understand all the pieces so I am informed when I speak with agent.

My ideal departure....PDX-Tokyo (10 day layover)-Seoul ---most likely JAL 35k economy (purchase low cost carrier airfare in between)

Ideal return Bangkok-Hong Kong (2 day layover) - PDX -hopefully Cathay Pacific Premium Economy

Any additional thoughts on this trip or information I should know when trying to work with Alaska agent to book multi-city with layovers?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by pdxflyer00
I am looking to book 4 tickets to Asia together for next summer. Trying to maximize points and destinations by booking stopovers and traveling open jaw. Trying research so that I am prepared when I speak with agents (I will want to book on phone for Cathay return and to use two frequent flier accounts).

We are trying to fly out of PDX after June 15. One issue I am running into is available flights from PDX to a West Coast JAL gateway city . Do I understand correctly that when I am looking at the Alaska Air milage calendar for the domestic (Alaska) leg I am looking for seats "priced" 12.5k miles or below? Trying to understand all the pieces so I am informed when I speak with agent.

My ideal departure....PDX-Tokyo (10 day layover)-Seoul ---most likely JAL 35k economy (purchase low cost carrier airfare in between)

Ideal return Bangkok-Hong Kong (2 day layover) - PDX -hopefully Cathay Pacific Premium Economy

Any additional thoughts on this trip or information I should know when trying to work with Alaska agent to book multi-city with layovers?
Given you're looking this far out, I'd just search PDX-TYO to find availability, then search TYO-Seoul. I'd also consider just booking the outbound from one account and book it online myself, then use the other account for the return. There may be routings offered online that a phone agent might not give you.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:07 pm

Layover cities in Asia if book through AA

If I book through AA, can I have a layover in Tokyo for 10 days and then go on to Seoul for 35K same as JAL?

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Given you're looking this far out, I'd just search PDX-TYO to find availability, then search TYO-Seoul. I'd also consider just booking the outbound from one account and book it online myself, then use the other account for the return. There may be routings offered online that a phone agent might not give you.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:27 pm

If I book through AA, can I have a layover in Tokyo for 10 days and then go on to Seoul for 35K same as JAL?
One partner per award redemption. If you book an AS award on AA metal to TYO that is far as you can go as there are no AA flights TYO-ICN. From ICN on the return you could use CX, JL or KE. Korean would have to be on one return itinerary though as they don't have one-way redemption rates but AS only charges 1/2 the miles on a return itinerary with a different partner on the inbound/outbound. With a Y redemption you shouldn't have any issues with most routes/partners. Booking JL online may have advantages exceeding not paying the phone "booking fee."

James
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
One partner per award redemption. If you book an AS award on AA metal to TYO that is far as you can go as there are no AA flights TYO-ICN. From ICN on the return you could use CX, JL or KE. Korean would have to be on one return itinerary though as they don't have one-way redemption rates but AS only charges 1/2 the miles on a return itinerary with a different partner on the inbound/outbound. With a Y redemption you shouldn't have any issues with most routes/partners. Booking JL online may have advantages exceeding not paying the phone "booking fee."

James
Wait, am I understanding this correctly

If you fly to NRT on AA you can't continue to ICN on JL?

I assume you can combine AS flights to partners' gateways ...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:39 pm

What would other advantage of booking JL online?

I was planning on using agent as I am too far out to book return trip which will be about 3 weeks later. Agent told me IF I book via phone they could do this without the $125 change fee per ticket. Also, I have to use two milage accounts for this trip which potentially complicates things when booking online. I am trying to do all the research online, find the flights and then hope they can book what I see. Also, I am planning my return on CX. The plan is to purchase cheap low cost carrier inter Asia tickets from Seoul-Bangkok or Singapore and have a 2 day layover in HongKong on route back to PDX. Plan is PE on CX if it all works out.......Does all of this seem doable? Am I missing anything? As I have only organized a trip like this once four years ago I am looking for help on how to best maximize layovers and use of miles. I am learning the AS agents are not all well versed on how to help with layovers etc.....
Thanks for the help.

QUOTE=Flying for Fun;30045068]One partner per award redemption. If you book an AS award on AA metal to TYO that is far as you can go as there are no AA flights TYO-ICN. From ICN on the return you could use CX, JL or KE. Korean would have to be on one return itinerary though as they don't have one-way redemption rates but AS only charges 1/2 the miles on a return itinerary with a different partner on the inbound/outbound. With a Y redemption you shouldn't have any issues with most routes/partners. Booking JL online may have advantages exceeding not paying the phone "booking fee."

James[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:51 pm

I was planning on using agent as I am too far out to book return trip which will be about 3 weeks later. Agent told me IF I book via phone they could do this without the $125 change fee per ticket. Also, I have to use two milage accounts for this trip which potentially complicates things when booking online. I am trying to do all the research online, find the flights and then hope they can book what I see. Also, I am planning my return on CX. The plan is to purchase cheap low cost carrier inter Asia tickets from Seoul-Bangkok or Singapore and have a 2 day layover in HongKong on route back to PDX. Plan is PE on CX if it all works out.......Does all of this seem doable? Am I missing anything? As I have only organized a trip like this once four years ago I am looking for help on how to best maximize layovers and use of miles. I am learning the AS agents are not all well versed on how to help with layovers etc.....
Thanks for the help.
It certainly is doable. Please send me a DM.

Thanks

James
pdxflyer00 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Wait, am I understanding this correctly

If you fly to NRT on AA you can't continue to ICN on JL?

I assume you can combine AS flights to partners' gateways ...
Yes, AS will get you to the gateway. You can have AS with any partner on an award, just not more than one partner on an award.

YES: EAT-SEA-LAX-NRT AS & AA
YES: EAT-SEA-SFO-TYO-ICN AS & JL
NO: EAT-SEA-LAX-TYO-ICN AS & AA & JL

James
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Yes, AS will get you to the gateway. You can have AS with any partner on an award, just not more than one partner on an award.

YES: EAT-SEA-LAX-NRT AS & AA
YES: EAT-SEA-SFO-TYO-ICN AS & JL
NO: EAT-SEA-LAX-TYO-ICN AS & AS & JL

James
Hm,

where is the DIS like Button?

Thanks for the reply, still getting the hang of this AS thing. With UA you can mix and match, for example mixing LH and TG using miles. Never occurred to me AS would make you stick just one partner. Not that I've earned miles for even a domestic flight so far .....
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Hm,

where is the DIS like Button?

Thanks for the reply, still getting the hang of this AS thing. With UA you can mix and match, for example mixing LH and TG using miles. Never occurred to me AS would make you stick just one partner. Not that I've earned miles for even a domestic flight so far .....
Just to be clear, it is one Partner per direction. You can book an award as a return or two one-ways. So you could book JL LAX-TYO-ICN & KE ICN-LAX. Either way will allow a stopover; two stopovers for a return and one stopover on the one-way award.

AA LAX-NRT is 110K AS Miles in F, JL SFO-HND is 75K AS miles in F. Both allow AS connecting flights to the gayeway, yet only JL will allow you to continue on beyond Tokyo with or without a stopover. Easy to see where the better value is. ^

James
pdxflyer00 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.