Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Looks like LAS is gone

Did this redeye several times...
BLI-LAS was nice too.

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
Help with companion ticket change

My brother is visiting with his SO and now has a medical emergency which may prevent him from flying home on his original ticket. He was primary on booking with SO as companion. SO must fly home on original booking but my brother may have to extend his stay. What is the best approach here? I could just call and throw money at the situation but would like to know if anyone can suggest a strategy?
Thanks and hope this posted correctly.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
Looks like LAS is gone

Did this redeye several times...
Bummer! I flew it too
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Just noticed a $9 fare drop on my already cheap nonstop ticket X2 (I try not to book r/t).

Worth asking for credit (flying in a week)? If it's done online at AS.com, did not find it. Where to look?

Possibility of changing this mid con to a connection via SFO for extra miles?

I suspect both ? have own thread, but my Google Advanced Search did not find them (usually don't even bother with FT search).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mtnsider
My brother is visiting with his SO and now has a medical emergency which may prevent him from flying home on his original ticket. He was primary on booking with SO as companion. SO must fly home on original booking but my brother may have to extend his stay. What is the best approach here? I could just call and throw money at the situation but would like to know if anyone can suggest a strategy?
Thanks and hope this posted correctly.
I'd call AS and explain this all to them.

See what they offer.

Be prepared to submit medical paperwork.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just noticed a $9 fare drop on my already cheap nonstop ticket X2 (I try not to book r/t).

Worth asking for credit (flying in a week)? If it's done online at AS.com, did not find it. Where to look?

Possibility of changing this mid con to a connection via SFO for extra miles?

I suspect both ? have own thread, but my Google Advanced Search did not find them (usually don't even bother with FT search).
Here's one: YAPTA just got me $37 in AS travel credit

GARR is the key word.

As for should you... I dunno. It resets waitlist positions for upgrades.

I'd be tempted to reroute via SFO for more miles and to stop in the SFO AMEX Lounge if time permitted.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Can you help me make sure I don’t do something wrong here?

i just booked SAN-BWI RT expecting to secure MVP for 2019. I’m currently MVP, but MVP bonus miles aren’t EQM, so that shouldn’t be relevant. It’s right on the line of 20k, so I want to make certain that I understand the rules while I have a chance to back out within 24 hours of booking my tix.

Here’s what I have:

- SAN-DAL : 1182
- SAN-BOS : 2581
- BOS-SAN : 2581
- SAN-BWI : 2289
- BWI-SAN : 2289
- SAN-SJC : 417 = 500min
- SJC-SAN : 417 = 500min + Class M booking bonus of ??? (104? 125?)
- SAN-GEG : 1028
- SAN-SEA : 1051
- SEA-SAN : 1051
- SAN-KOA : 2551
- KOA-SAN : 2551

This results in a total of 20,154 (or 20,258 or 20,279, depending on how the class M booking bonus is calculated)

As you see, my margin is slim. If I have misunderstood the 500 mile minimum as EQM, or the booking bonus as EQM, then I want to know now.. not in December.

Thanks for anyone who wants to review my work. The raw mileage numbers came from the AS flight details page.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Download this excellent status calculator Excel spreadsheet:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29118926-post51.html

Plug in your flights. You'll have the information you need.

A truly helpful tool to me the last couple of years.
rustykettel and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by twitch76
As you see, my margin is slim. If I have misunderstood the 500 mile minimum as EQM, or the booking bonus as EQM, then I want to know now.. not in December.
^ 500 mile minimum applies to EQM, as well as RDM. Class of Service bonus is calculated on the 500 base & also applies to EQM, so M is a 125 mile EQM (&RDM) bonus for a total of 625 EQM ( 875 RDM = 625 (500 base + 25% CoS) +250 (500 base x your 50% MVP bonus) ).

Plugged your segments into Milecalc, and it pretty much backs up your calculations (they use slightly different mileage on some but AS' mileage numbers are the only ones that count after all!). Looks to me like you're all set. Welcome to 2019 MVP!
pcoll and twitch76 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS
Twitch 76 Welcome to 2019 MVP. I also have my calculations worked out to about 200 above 20,000. Yes, I do double check my work. EQM and COS matter. Went with 2 flights -P fare- just for the COS I needed to finish out the year.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:37 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
BLI-LAS was nice too.

James
I miss that route, it was my go to for quick vegas trips.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Whats the maximum time in between flights that one GGU will work? Looking at some flights that have a 2-3 Hour layover, but both legs have U space open.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by rune87
Whats the maximum time in between flights that one GGU will work? Looking at some flights that have a 2-3 Hour layover, but both legs have U space open.
You’re fine. 4 hours or less.

Each guest upgrade code is valid for one-way travel for one person. Connecting flights must have no more than a 4-hour stopover between them.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...guest-upgrades
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I think it’s unlikely that there’s any way to do what I want, but thought I’d ask here.

Two PAX on the same reservation, one is MVP. There are still four seats available in first class. Flight is 36 hours away.

If they are still available at the 24-hr check in window, can I call and request complimentary upgrade for one and a paid upgrade for the other?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by twitch76
I think it’s unlikely that there’s any way to do what I want, but thought I’d ask here.

Two PAX on the same reservation, one is MVP. There are still four seats available in first class. Flight is 36 hours away.

If they are still available at the 24-hr check in window, can I call and request complimentary upgrade for one and a paid upgrade for the other?
Maybe? There's another thread floating around here on using an instrument/miles with an MVP upgrade, so in theory it might work for complimentary/companion paid upgrades but I'd wager that most reps aren't familiar with it.

Unless you're on a companion fare, easiest way would be to call in and split the res, take the MVP upgrade now and then check one right at T-24 for the other (actually start a little bit sooner as OLCI may open just before then).

I'd also do a dummy booking for 2 F seats using MVP Gold or higher as the upgrade option just to confirm that U=2 or more, which is what upgrades clear into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.