Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:08 am

Does AS print JAL tickets ?

Hi! This is my first time using AS points for an international flight. We will be flying JAL first class from LAX to NRT In a few weeks. We are starting in Seattle (SEA - LAX on AS). Question is... when we Check in at SeaTac with Alaska, will they put our luggage through to Tokyo and print second boarding passes (JAL LAX-NRT)? Or do we, upon landing in LAX, have to pick up our luggage and check in thru JAL?

I was reading a flight review online and someone mentioned they had the Qantas lounge print their JAL boarding pass tickets (after connecting from Seattle). So I was curious if AS prints JAL tickets or not at SeaTac. Thanks !!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:59 am

Looking at LAX-DXB in july/august time frame, but can't find a single return flight on EK J (through AS). I thought one could book EK award up to 330d.
EF seems to show some availability, but since i don't have much experience with the tool, I might be doing something wrong.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
My wife has a SFO-LAX round trip (same day return) booked next week but her business plans changed and she doesn't need to go anymore. It's a cheapo <$100 ticket. She has no status on AS (yet). As I understand it, there's no way to extract any value from this ticket due to the change fee, right? Is it better to cancel, or just no-show?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mangoMan
My wife has a SFO-LAX round trip (same day return) booked next week but her business plans changed and she doesn't need to go anymore. It's a cheapo <$100 ticket. She has no status on AS (yet). As I understand it, there's no way to extract any value from this ticket due to the change fee, right? Is it better to cancel, or just no-show?
Yes, you'd have to pay $125 cancellation fee in new money just to get less money back in the form of a credit certificate.

You can cancel and hold the ticket without paying the change fee now. I'd do that as a) it preserves the value of the ticket. If she achieves Gold or higher within the year expiration, she should be able to get the change fee waived then, b) seat is freed up for someone else and the airport agents aren't waiting for her to close check-in. I would wait until closer to the flight date though. If there's a cancellation or delay, you may be able to use that to get the ticket refunded.
mangoMan and jinglish like this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Alaska 75K
Hi... I should know this but does a 2 flight option from SEA to SFO that stops with a change of planes in PDX count as 2 segments for elite qualification purposes? Thanks....
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
Hi... I should know this but does a 2 flight option from SEA to SFO that stops with a change of planes in PDX count as 2 segments for elite qualification purposes? Thanks....
yes- if you have two flight #'s.
Brianblanco likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Looking at late winter / early spring r/t SEA-OGG vacation for my family of 3 + infant (no seat required). Reasonable to use a companion pass for 2 of us, miles for another, and then pay our way into bulkhead row (~$130pp)? For a 738 to Hawaii, how much better is the AS F experience/comfort over bulkhead row Premium?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Looking at late winter / early spring r/t SEA-OGG vacation for my family of 3 + infant (no seat required). Reasonable to use a companion pass for 2 of us, miles for another, and then pay our way into bulkhead row (~$130pp)? For a 738 to Hawaii, how much better is the AS F experience/comfort over bulkhead row Premium?
Not sure if rules have changed. I believe that lap child is not allowed in bulkhead rows, as well as exit rows and rows in front and behind exit rows.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
How do comp upgrades work for 8 FC seats (VX) configured flights for MVPG75? ~24hrs from flight. FC seats avail for purchase but no U space.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by faithful
How do comp upgrades work for 8 FC seats (VX) configured flights for MVPG75? ~24hrs from flight. FC seats avail for purchase but no U space.
They'll slowly start to clear from the waitlist leading up to departure time as U opens. At T-60 mins (or sometimes as late as after all have boarded), gate agent will clear from waitlist to fill remaining first class seats. More details from AS website: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ntary-upgrades
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by faithful
On my last 5 or 6 former VX (8 FC) flights since July, I've been upgraded around T-2 regardless of how many F seats were available for purchase prior to that time. It looks as if AS isn't releasing U space on those flights and just letting the GAs process any upgrades. At least you don't have to worry about the upgrade processor malfunctioning and someone calling in to "steal" an upgrade.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by Winterfell86
Hi! This is my first time using AS points for an international flight. We will be flying JAL first class from LAX to NRT In a few weeks. We are starting in Seattle (SEA - LAX on AS). Question is... when we Check in at SeaTac with Alaska, will they put our luggage through to Tokyo and print second boarding passes (JAL LAX-NRT)? Or do we, upon landing in LAX, have to pick up our luggage and check in thru JAL?

I was reading a flight review online and someone mentioned they had the Qantas lounge print their JAL boarding pass tickets (after connecting from Seattle). So I was curious if AS prints JAL tickets or not at SeaTac. Thanks !!
Alaska has always printed all subsequent boarding passes for me upon check in whether purchased with cash or miles. My most recent JAL trip was GEG-BOI-SAN-NRT and I received all boarding passes at GEG. This also included a JAL boarding pass with PreCheck even though JAL doesn't participate in the program.
flymyway likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If I asked this before, forgive me Just want to make very sure: if I issue an award ticket using my miles to someone else, if there needs to be a change/cancellation there is no fee for me to cancel/change that ticket as an MVPG, correct?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
If I asked this before, forgive me Just want to make very sure: if I issue an award ticket using my miles to someone else, if there needs to be a change/cancellation there is no fee for me to cancel/change that ticket as an MVPG, correct?
yes, correct!

cblaisd likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Winterfell86

usually if it is a through ticket (one PNR, which is your case), the first airline you check in and board with will print all boarding passes, unless the subsequent segment(s) of flights is too far off (e.g., if you have a layover of close to 24h such that u dont board the 2nd or 3rd or 4th leg of flight until >48h later). in the worse case, if you dont receive the LAX-NRT boarding pass, then yes, you can print that at the lounge - that's the perk of taking premium cabin. if you are in cattle class, you most likely would need to exit the secure area, and go out to JAL counter to get the boarding pass again bc US airports typically dont have a transfer desk unlike ex-US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.