Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:33 am

Thanks @Jma12 and @CDKing !
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by shek3112
Thanks @Jma12 and @CDKing !
You are welcome!

Last edited by Jma12; Oct 8, 2017 at 12:14 pm
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Datapoint -

Two J HKGDPS awards popped up on BA overnight for Aug travel. AS could see them so I grabbed them. Subsequently refunded the 2 Y awards I had made with Avios when AS couldn’t see those (miles returned, cash not since taxes were below he $55 BA threshold. I care more about the 25K UR points I transferred, but it was still good insurance).

Anyhow, I recall reading anecdotal reports that AS has particular trouble book Y on this route, but J inventory typically syncs with BA (I know have the family of four booked, all with AS).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Sounds like next year's trip is all buttoned up. Are you going to be seeking F seats from JFK or just stick with J from EWR (which should be on a new A350 at that point).

DAK
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Sounds like next year's trip is all buttoned up. Are you going to be seeking F seats from JFK or just stick with J from EWR (which should be on a new A350 at that point).

DAK
Actually, may split wife off and let her fly solo in F from JFK while I take the kids from EWR (unless we can complete the party ex-JFK). We have 4+ hr layover in HKG and this way we could all visit F Pier (wife due F, me due OWE, one guest each). Only issue is added transit expense (two car services to two different airports).
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Actually, may split wife off and let her fly solo in F from JFK while I take the kids from EWR (unless we can complete the party ex-JFK). We have 4+ hr layover in HKG and this way we could all visit F Pier (wife due F, me due OWE, one guest each). Only issue is added transit expense (two car services to two different airports).
LIRR

Glad it's coming together ^ Keep a sharp eye 2 weeks out, 1 week out and every couple of hours as it gets closer in.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
LIRR
Stop reading luxury travel blogs. The A train is where it's at.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Don’t forget the chase cars.

(I admire your dedication to vacation. I think I am being foresighted if I am somewhat early to the airport and have alternate flights mapped out if things go wrong...)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:13 am

Hi all.

A couple of questions ... I did try searching but it is 2am.

1) Is it true we can upgrade an award (J>F) within the close-in period without having to pay the $125 change fee? According to my AS rep it's true, but it sounded too good to be true.

2) Can I switch to a different flight, same route fee-free? i.e. currently on a 10:50a departure NRT>HKG, now I see availability on the 5:05p flight ... will the $125 change fee apply? And if no, will the change fee apply if I were to also change the date of my flight?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Hi all.

1) Is it true we can upgrade an award (J>F) within the close-in period without having to pay the $125 change fee? According to my AS rep it's true, but it sounded too good to be true.

2) Can I switch to a different flight, same route fee-free? i.e. currently on a 10:50a departure NRT>HKG, now I see availability on the 5:05p flight ... will the $125 change fee apply? And if no, will the change fee apply if I were to also change the date of my flight?

Many thanks!
The last time I called in as an MVP (10 yrs of status as MVP or MVPG) and tried J->F on a CX award with identical routing and flight I was told the fee for changing from a J award to F was being waived because I had status as a one time exception but it is NOT ordinarily waived. Who knows. I guess HUCA if you don’t like the answer you get the next time you call.

Dates and time changes should surely trigger the fee. You’re not using AA miles where as long as you do same destination you’re fine.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Hi all.

Many thanks!
If you are not already on a F award level, fee applies (unless gold).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
If you are not already on a F award level, fee applies (unless gold).
This. I have a mixed cabin award and will hopefully upgrade the J leg to F when it becomes available close-in. Have confirmed with multiple reps that since the award is a F ticket/level, it will be free to move J --> F. Otherwise, you will most likely have to pay if there is no status.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:11 am

Datapoint -

Two J HKGDPS awards popped up on BA overnight for Aug travel. AS could see them so I grabbed them. Subsequently refunded the 2 Y awards I had made with Avios when AS couldn’t see those (miles returned, cash not since taxes were below he $55 BA threshold. I care more about the 25K UR points I transferred, but it was still good insurance).

Anyhow, I recall reading anecdotal reports that AS has particular trouble book Y on this route, but J inventory typically syncs with BA (I know have the family of four booked, all with AS).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Same experience with HKG-DPS.

AS was unable to see Y award on this route when both JL and BA showed space.

As soon as J became available though, was able to book with AS.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Same experience with HKG-DPS.

AS was unable to see Y award on this route when both JL and BA showed space.

As soon as J became available though, was able to book with AS.
Same with HKGSIN. As saw J, Y+, but no Y.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:12 am

Datapoint on successful booking which might help people.

Called at midnight seattle-time on the dot 1 year out when alaska calendar opens for JNB-HKG flight. Agent saw business class space matching BA/Qantas, and created an alaska record locator for me, but couldn't confirm the space. Since it was midnight, and partner international desks for her weren't picking up the phone, asked me to call back in the morning with my record locator to confirm the space she saw.

Slept, called next morning 8am, and the agent very easily confirmed the space seen and created as alaska record locator last night. Agent was also able to add HKG - YVR business class segment even though it was technically 331 days out Seattle timezone, but maybe due to it leaving in hongkong it worked? (all in 62500 miles & $75).

Very easy process, besides the stress of the midnight agent seeing the space but not being able to "confirm" it with a cathay record locator, and asking me to call in the morning. Clearly morning agents have some more power/tools that midnight ones don't.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
That might be because they're the late-night flights. There have been reports that the agents can't see space on them unless they enter 1:00 AM (I think?) as the desired flight time while searching, and only some of the more experienced agents know this trick.
VERIFIED. Booked F (PDX-)LAX-HKG(-NRT) toward EOS and original inexperienced (by her own admission) agent was unable to see CX 881 which departs 0055.

Called back today after confirming via KVS F availability on CX 881. Transferred to supervisor who was able to see the seat and explicitly confirmed the need for AS agents to input 1am to see early am award availability.

Thought about adding this important tip to the CX award wiki, but will leave to greater minds.

Last edited by mczlaw; Oct 15, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.