Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

How many miles is it from SFO-BKK on CX j?

Is it still 50k?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
How many miles is it from SFO-BKK on CX j?

Is it still 50k?
Alaska does publish award charts, you know.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Code:
Cathay Pacific		Non-refundable Each way
Continental U.S. to Asia
Business		50,000
Coach		        30,000
First Class		70,000
Premium Economy		35,000
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:31 pm

CX awards in F

Feeling a little frustrated?! BA and JAL are both showing 2F seats available for award booking for LHR-HKG but when I call AS they see nothing?! Any ideas?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Alaska does publish award charts, you know.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Code:
Cathay Pacific		Non-refundable Each way
Continental U.S. to Asia
Business		50,000
Coach		        30,000
First Class		70,000
Premium Economy		35,000
What a deal! on JAL to SEA in J is 65k.
Why is there such a huge difference between CX and JAL?

Last edited by Travelchurner; Apr 12, 2017 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Quite misleading.

It is JFK-LAX-Australia. It is subject to the same cabotage law.

QF JFK-LAX can only be a connection flight. QF does not have the right to "sell" the JFK=LAX alone, it is part of the continuous itinerary.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...107-108-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...7366-only.html

They don't seem willing to risk 5 digit DOT fines.

Some FT folks have been known to try tricks like that (book awards that violate cabotage) and leave the airline holding the bag. Part of why we can't have nice things...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 11, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
SO I have been on the phone to Alaska again.

Frustratingly they now cant see any Premium seat availability for the SFO to HKG flight that I am looking for.

Checking on BAEC there is clearly 4 seats available in J and 1 seat in F.

These seats were found easily a few days ago by AS rep but even an AS supervisor could not help.

Is something going on here with Cathay and availability to AS?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navatwal
SO I have been on the phone to Alaska again.

Frustratingly they now cant see any Premium seat availability for the SFO to HKG flight that I am looking for.

Checking on BAEC there is clearly 4 seats available in J and 1 seat in F.

These seats were found easily a few days ago by AS rep but even an AS supervisor could not help.

Referred to multiple times in blogs and even in this thread fairly recently.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...t27920347.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
I've been having the same issue recently. Or maybe my previous reservations just happened to work with the flights allotted to AS. The AS rep said something about "different negotiated rates" airlines have with CX. QF, BA, JL searches pretty much line up the same for me. I don't know which system would most clearly mirror Alaska's.

Last edited by pandas; Apr 12, 2017 at 6:33 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Hopefully the new Cathay CEO doesn't order a "comprehensive review" that ends up kneecapping AS award availability on CX.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:35 pm

Very frustrating!

Originally Posted by mattoo
Feeling a little frustrated?! BA and JAL are both showing 2F seats available for award booking for LHR-HKG but when I call AS they see nothing?! Any ideas?
Same here! There are 3 flights from SFO-HKG on CX879, 873 (4 seats) and 893 (5 seats), and AS rep only sees two, CX 879 and 873, neither have seats available. BA site shows 5 seats available on CX893, and AS said no such flight in their system! Very frustrating!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:04 pm

Good News! Was able to book CX

Originally Posted by sxchan
Same here! There are 3 flights from SFO-HKG on CX879, 873 (4 seats) and 893 (5 seats), and AS rep only sees two, CX 879 and 873, neither have seats available. BA site shows 5 seats available on CX893, and AS said no such flight in their system! Very frustrating!
I called AS back and ask rep to search for specific time, and the agent was very patient and helpful, and was willing to try pull up the flights using time @ 0100 (as 1:00am) and she was able to find the seats matching what BA site shows!^^^^^^^^
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I called AS back and ask rep to search for specific time, and the agent was very patient and helpful, and was willing to try pull up the flights using time @ 0100 (as 1:00am) and she was able to find the seats matching what BA site shows!^^^^^^^^
Glad it worked out for you. From experience, if the agent can't even agree on the existence of certain flights, I know that call is going nowhere.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:43 pm

I call to book the CX ticket for next March yesterday and saw the mileage is deducted from my account immediately but still haven't receive the e-ticket yet. Just wondering normally how long will it take to issue the e-ticket?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Little Animal
I call to book the CX ticket for next March yesterday and saw the mileage is deducted from my account immediately but still haven't receive the e-ticket yet. Just wondering normally how long will it take to issue the e-ticket?
Did you get a six letter/digit PNR/confirmation code at the time of your call? If you did, what does that say when you enter it on the AS site?

(Always get that at the end of your call; it should be generated automatically before the ticket is.)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:45 pm

Yes I did get the confirmation code from the agent, however when I retrieve on the AS site, it just said my reservation cannot display online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.