Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Anyone have any successful interline baggage experience from AS to HA and vice versa across separate tickets?
I was able to do it in early 2016. Flew ANC to HNL on AS and the HNL to LIH on HA. Bags were interlined on separate tickets.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:36 pm

Mileage Plan credit card

What is the maximum bonus that one can earn by getting a MileagePlan credit card? The online application form I saw seemed to indicate 30K miles and a $75 annual fee - is that the most one can earn (seemed somewhat low compared to other airlines).

Also the application seems to be rather vague as to which card one can get - the Visa Signature card or the Platinum Plus; the terms & rewards for the latter are not spelled out online. Does anyone know what the sign-up benefits of this card are?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by puchong
What is the maximum bonus that one can earn by getting a MileagePlan credit card? The online application form I saw seemed to indicate 30K miles and a $75 annual fee - is that the most one can earn (seemed somewhat low compared to other airlines).

Also the application seems to be rather vague as to which card one can get - the Visa Signature card or the Platinum Plus; the terms & rewards for the latter are not spelled out online. Does anyone know what the sign-up benefits of this card are?
The http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ines-visa.html thread has a lot of information, along with the companion Credit Card forum thread (link in the wiki of the first one).

Platinum or Signature is based on the approved credit limit, $5000 more or less. There's only a single application for both but the Platinum receives a lesser amount of miles (5000 miles?), lower annual fee and a smaller airfare discount code and no companion code.

30k miles with the Signature card is pretty much it. There have been targeted offers with a few more miles or by filling out a paper app received inflight. You can also apply using the link in the threads above for a $100 statement credit, or get the same by doing a booking, real or dummy, and click on the Alaska Visa offer on the payment page. You don't have to complete the booking.

In addition to the miles, the big attraction is the annual companion code and to a lesser extent, baggage fee waiver.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by puchong
Dummy book online and you can get the 30K + $100 statement credit (after spending $1,000 in 90 days) in addition to the companion pass.

Yes, it's somewhat low, but there's also no 1 per lifetime or 1 per 2 years that other cards have.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:12 am

I have a November morning flight that had an hour schedule change; I'd like to switch to an evening flight so I figured it can't hurt to ask. Any data points on how lenient they are with changes like this after a schedule change? The purchased morning flight was dirt cheap, so the other options are changing and paying the fare difference or waiting and SDC.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I have a November morning flight that had an hour schedule change; I'd like to switch to an evening flight so I figured it can't hurt to ask. Any data points on how lenient they are with changes like this after a schedule change? The purchased morning flight was dirt cheap, so the other options are changing and paying the fare difference or waiting and SDC.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​If over 60 minutes, I'd be surprised if they didn't allow it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Quail
​​​​​​
​​​​​​If over 60 minutes, I'd be surprised if they didn't allow it.
Looking at it again, it's only a 35 minute change, so maybe I won't bother
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:38 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
You will clear in SEA. I have no idea what Progressive clearance is but i read its extremely rare.
Thanks! Usually I fly with hand baggage only so I have not that much of experience. But in this case 6 hours is enough for my connection.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
I'm planning out my first mileage run but never see AS in the Mileage Run forum. Is there another place they are listed? If I put together my own, what would be a good website to start at?
Thank you for any advice!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by faithful
I'm planning out my first mileage run but never see AS in the Mileage Run forum. Is there another place they are listed? If I put together my own, what would be a good website to start at?
I'm also interested in putting one together, but have no idea where to start. I'm reasonably close to MVP Gold and would like to go for it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by faithful
The error fares that make extremely good mileage runs are very rare on AS's part; the last one was actually VX's goof six or seven months ago, and it got patched after a bunch of us booked cheap transcon runs. A number of people booked the $360 SEA-PAP AA F turns not too long ago, but AA's error fares won't be an option come 2018.

Your best bet is to just wait for a half-decent sale and see what you can piece together. And try to tack on extra segments where you can--if you can turn a PDX-BOS round trip into PDX-SEA-BOS, you're getting a thousand extra miles.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Justin Go
Dummy book online and you can get the 30K + $100 statement credit (after spending $1,000 in 90 days) in addition to the companion pass.

Yes, it's somewhat low, but there's also no 1 per lifetime or 1 per 2 years that other cards have.
Also keep in mind that as a currency, Mileage Plan miles sre more valuable than the other airline currencies. Fewer valuable miles or more worthless miles, which would you prefer? 😉 Remember, 30K is enough for up to 6 short haul flights up to 700 miles, 4 flights 701-1400 miles, 3 flights 1401-2100 miles or two first class upgrades. Also stopovers are allowed on one-way awards.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hi All,

Stopover question... I'm planning a trip for June 2018, and we'd like to go to Alaska AND Hawaii from Seattle. Is HNL-ANC-SEA a legal routing, in terms of a stopover on a one-way award? Same with SEA-ANC-HNL? I can get the individual legs to show up online, but when I try to book it as a multi-city, it's not working for me. Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi All,

Stopover question... I'm planning a trip for June 2018, and we'd like to go to Alaska AND Hawaii from Seattle. Is HNL-ANC-SEA a legal routing, in terms of a stopover on a one-way award? Same with SEA-ANC-HNL? I can get the individual legs to show up online, but when I try to book it as a multi-city, it's not working for me. Thanks!
Nope, but you can do HNL-SEA-ANC but obviously that wont help if you are starting in SEA
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Cancellations

If I have a non-refundable ticket and if a few days before I am unable to do the trip, can I cancel it and use the funds in the future? I see there is a $125 fee for cancelling so I gather the funds are usable for future travel. On a roundtrip ticket for 2 people, am I going to be charged $125, $250, or $500?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.