Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I've just sent an email with a copy of the boarding pass along with my MP account information and flight details. Sometimes it's been as soon as the next business day and usually within 1-2 weeks of emailing.
And now I can't find my boarding pass... can't believe this :/
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by merridius
does anyone have a rough idea of how long alaska will take to process a retroactive mileage claim for an AA flight? it says 6-8 weeks but i'm really hoping to get it sooner

I wasn't asked for it but would should I send in a copy of the boarding pass?
I've done two requests for credit in the last week, both took 3 days to be processed.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
As a AA Gold, if I use my AS number on a flight, instead of AA number am I still entitled to
two checked bags?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rkh29
As a AA Gold, if I use my AS number on a flight, instead of AA number am I still entitled to
two checked bags?
No.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Ritz-Carlton Gold
I purchased a BA J ticket, then later upgraded one leg to F with Avios. That leg now shows as Z because upgrades book into award inventory.

On BA upgraded flights earn Avios according to the underlying fare class (in this case I), but what will happen if I change my FF# to credit the flights to AS? Will I earn I-fare miles or none on the upgraded leg?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:10 am

Gurus,

Trying to book a Hainan award and I am getting an error (can't confirm), like PEK-SEA on 7/9. Tried several options and neither one worked. Is it common to have phantom award availability on Hainan? Any tip for booking Hainam with Alaska miles?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thephirm
I purchased a BA J ticket, then later upgraded one leg to F with Avios. That leg now shows as Z because upgrades book into award inventory.

On BA upgraded flights earn Avios according to the underlying fare class (in this case I), but what will happen if I change my FF# to credit the flights to AS? Will I earn I-fare miles or none on the upgraded leg?
Keep your receipts showing the J purchase and Boarding passes just in case for manual request.

Originally Posted by ckn2
Gurus,

Trying to book a Hainan award and I am getting an error (can't confirm), like PEK-SEA on 7/9. Tried several options and neither one worked. Is it common to have phantom award availability on Hainan? Any tip for booking Hainam with Alaska miles?
Probably phantom space. it happens from time to time.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Has anyone had issues with money not being deposited in your AS wallet after a reservation change? I changed a res several months back via the "use the value of this fare to purchase a new flight" option, and it looks like that refund never showed up in my account--although a refund from a subsequent change to that reservation is there. I'm confident I didn't opt to have a code emailed to me.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jinglish
Has anyone had issues with money not being deposited in your AS wallet after a reservation change? I changed a res several months back via the "use the value of this fare to purchase a new flight" option, and it looks like that refund never showed up in my account--although a refund from a subsequent change to that reservation is there. I'm confident I didn't opt to have a code emailed to me.
Yes!! I'm 97% sure I never got the refund to my wallet after making a few changes recently to a few different tickets. They are small amounts, and I'm not entirely sure how to track down exactly what I'm missing since it's difficult to match My Wallet activity to reservations.

Probably deserves it's own thread if we aren't the only ones who are missing money.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
can I credit Alaska miles to JAL? there doesn't seem to be an option to attach my JAL frequent flyer number when I check in. maybe I should do a retroactive claim?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by merridius
can I credit Alaska miles to JAL? there doesn't seem to be an option to attach my JAL frequent flyer number when I check in. maybe I should do a retroactive claim?
Yes! https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/earn/travel/flight/as.html

Not sure about during online check in but you should be able to add it via the Manage Reservation prior to check in. You can definitely add it at booking (see below).

At this point, have an AS agent (phone, check-in counter, or gate) add it to your reservation but keep your boarding pass!! JAL JMB can be a bit formal in requesting retro credit but it can be done. As this isn't an Alaska program, you'd want to follow up with the JAL experts in the JAL forum with doing that or other JMB questions.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA, AA
Condor credit

Hi all. Big fan of AS - Long time FT lurker, first time posting a question.
Just wondering if anyone has words of wisdom, or has had problems getting MP miles credited after flying Condor. We flew one way FRA-SAN in May and are still waiting for MP credit.
About 3 weeks ago emailed print screens of boarding passes and ticket receipt to MP service center but still no action. I know the partnership is new and there are growing pains but it would be nice to know something is happening with our request. I wasn't able to attach MP numbers to our Condor reservation before flying, but when checking in on Condor's website there was a chance to enter a FF# which I did (after doing so the website attached "LH" in front of it for some reason).
I actually canceled an award ticket to take advantage of MP award/status miles credit and to support Condor's new service to San Diego. The service and C class hard product were outstanding for the cost but not receiving credit would be disappointing.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Yes!! I'm 97% sure I never got the refund to my wallet after making a few changes recently to a few different tickets. They are small amounts, and I'm not entirely sure how to track down exactly what I'm missing since it's difficult to match My Wallet activity to reservations.
I've had similar issues with small mywallet amounts.

I tend to have credits emailed to me now and keep track of them manually now.

Also wish mywallet funds could be applied to existing reservations being changed. That would be
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by alphaeagle

Probably deserves it's own thread if we aren't the only ones who are missing money.
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've had similar issues with small mywallet amounts.

I tend to have credits emailed to me now and keep track of them manually now.

Also wish mywallet funds could be applied to existing reservations being changed. That would be
Ahhh, I never had that problem as I always paid new money for awards so it was refunded to CC. Although I'll be keeping better track to make sure the refunds came through, though seems like they did
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: Starbucks and MVP Gold
I flew a CX leg purchased through an Air Canada itinerary, and have a boarding pass with both CX and AC flight numbers.
United won't credit it, any chance AS or AA will? I was going to mail it to AS anyhow instead of leaving it orphaned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.