Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
I'm coming up on what I'd like to be an AS/BA multi-segment reward ticket, and depending on how availability for the AS part of it goes, I might be 2K short of the needed miles. It usually prices lower (have been watching for a while, so I'm not eager to just buy the miles this far in advance, but I'd like to know my options around buying miles.

From the AS site it looks like they've outsourced their miles purchases to points.com. Does anyone know how fast the miles show up in your account? And how reliably? I'd hate to see availability come up, decide the buy the miles, and then wait around and watch the seats disappear while points.com dithers for a week.

I imagine I'll get some responses that instead I should do such-and-such a way to get 2K miles, I'm interested in those for sure, especially if they work fairly quickly, but I also hope someone knows the answer to this. Many thanks,

FTF
Hi. I have purchased points a few times and they have always posted to my AS account within minutes. Note that if you are new to AS, there is a waiting period IIRC.

​​​​
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I'm looking to capitalize on that 5k bonus Alaska just launched. Anyway to hack this for a guy who lives on the east coast (jersey) and doesn't have many options to make it worthwhile. I see on the Alaska website I can buy AA flights to STL from LGA would something like that count toward that bonus or it has to be an actual AS plane?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by layoverdan
I'm looking to capitalize on that 5k bonus Alaska just launched. Anyway to hack this for a guy who lives on the east coast (jersey) and doesn't have many options to make it worthwhile. I see on the Alaska website I can buy AA flights to STL from LGA would something like that count toward that bonus or it has to be an actual AS plane?
The promo is only good for Alaska or Virgin America flights. And if you're just looking for a few thousand redeemable miles, you can buy them for far less than whatever you'll pay for a round-trip ticket to get the bonus.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAXII
Hi. I have purchased points a few times and they have always posted to my AS account within minutes. Note that if you are new to AS, there is a waiting period IIRC.

​​​​
Hi MAXII. That sounds like generally good news. Can you help me understand the waiting period, though? Does that refer to a new AS MP membership (I'm not a new member) or do you mean a first-time miles purchase, which would apply to me? If the latter, what's the waiting period? Many thanks,
FTF

Last edited by FullTimeFlyer; Jun 12, 2017 at 6:28 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:19 am

Hi MAXII. That sounds like generally good news. Can you help me understand the waiting period, though? Does that refer to a new AS MP membership (I'm not a new member) or do you mean a first-time miles purchase, which would apply to me? If the latter, what's the waiting period? Many thanks,
FTF
I'm unfamiliar with the waiting period, but I purchased points for the first time recently and received them essentially immediately. I don't believe my status match had come through yet, so I assume you should be fine as well =)
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
FTF
I can't find it in the current terms and conditions, but I know that there is a clause that limits the purchase of miles for new Mileage Plan accounts; pretty sure it has nothing to do with first-time purchase of miles.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by ashill
I can't find it in the current terms and conditions, but I know that there is a clause that limits the purchase of miles for new Mileage Plan accounts; pretty sure it has nothing to do with first-time purchase of miles.
This is correct.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Thanks, all. Appreciate all the help.
FTF
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm a recent AA refugee. This is my first year with AS, status matched to MVPG and already re-qualified for next year. By the end of the year I expect to make 75K and hope to have a cache of approximately 450K miles saved up to plan a big trip. I'm considering either South America (Argentina and Chile) or South Pacific (Bora Bora and NZ). India is on my list as well, but maybe for another time. I will have 130K with AA, 200K with AS, and 120K from Marriott with a destination FF plan TBD. Let's assume those miles from Marriott will go into one of the two programs.

I don't need help searching for availability. That's a well traveled path I've frequented in the past and know how to do the dirty work of finding ideal flights and value for my miles. My questions are more about the timing and execution of making reservations. My past experience has been almost exclusively with AA, so bear with me. Does the AS availability window open up around 330 days out? Do I need to spoon feed the agent flights and dates? Do 75K have access to additional inventory others don't (i.e., like AA EXP)? Beside BA, are there other partners who tack on the extortion fee...err...I mean fuel surcharge? Is it better to book one-way tickets vs. round trip? Even if it's multi-point? I think most of my other questions, the answers can be found online.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I would like to use my companion fare to purchase a trip to HNL and upgrade it. However, I only have 3 GGUs available right now.

Can I book a companion fare that's GGU eligible, upgrade the outbound with GGUs, then call in and upfare the return segments to a mileage or MVPG instant upgrade fare to clear the return?

Is there a specific order of operations I should follow?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just have a minute so I'll touch on a couple:

No expanded inventory for AS elites at this time.

FI also has fuel surcharges, as does HU iirc.

OW vs RT doesn't matter much with elite status as there is no change fee.

Award space is 330/331. Sometimes "spoon feeding" is required for some flights, depends on the agent so YMMV. This is afaik only applicable to the two carriers not searchable on alaskaair.com.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by beckoa
Just have a minute so I'll touch on a couple:

No expanded inventory for AS elites at this time.

FI also has fuel surcharges, as does HU iirc.

Award space is 330/331. Sometimes "spoon feeding" is required for some flights, depends on the agent so YMMV. This is afaik only applicable to the two carriers not searchable on alaskaair.com.
Thanks! One last question, since AS allows a layover/stopover it makes sense to me that I will transfer from Marriott to AS. Is there a definitive FT thread or AS webpage with all the rules for layovers/stopovers?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by beckoa
If you book two OWs, you can get a guaranteed low fare credit if one leg gets cheaper even if the other leg gets pricier. That can be a PITA, but Yapta makes it easier to keep an eye on that.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Is there any limit how early I can drop off checked bag in SEA?

Any difference if I am connecting from the BA flight, where I'll check the bag through [so it'll be the case of just dropping them off?].
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kufat
If you book two OWs, you can get a guaranteed low fare credit if one leg gets cheaper even if the other leg gets pricier. That can be a PITA, but Yapta makes it easier to keep an eye on that.
True.

I was referring to award tickets specifically

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.