Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Does your mileage plan account have to be active at the time you flew on a partner airline in order for AS to credit the partner flight?

May 1 travelled on AA
May 20 opened AS account

Will AS credit the flights? I heard it both ways.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Does your mileage plan account have to be active at the time you flew on a partner airline in order for AS to credit the partner flight?

May 1 travelled on AA
May 20 opened AS account

Will AS credit the flights? I heard it both ways.

Thanks
No, they won't credit a partner flight flown prior to enrollment. If it was on AS metal, they would credit up to 6 months prior to enrollment. This is from the AS website:

- To credit Alaska Airlines flights, travelers must have been a Mileage Plan™ member within 6 months of the travel date.
- Online requests for Alaska Airlines flights must be received within 11 months of travel.
- To credit partner airline flights, travelers must have been a Mileage Plan™ member at time of travel

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...st-credit.aspx
Old May 23, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Finkface
No, they won't credit a partner flight flown prior to enrollment. If it was on AS metal, they would credit up to 6 months prior to enrollment. This is from the AS website:

- To credit Alaska Airlines flights, travelers must have been a Mileage Plan™ member within 6 months of the travel date.
- Online requests for Alaska Airlines flights must be received within 11 months of travel.
- To credit partner airline flights, travelers must have been a Mileage Plan™ member at time of travel

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...st-credit.aspx
Wonderful.. thanks for the clarification
Old May 23, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Wonderful.. thanks for the clarification
But you can always ask! Just submit for a missing flight. Worst that could happen is they turn you down and you'd be right where you are now. AS has often been more generous than their written policies suggest.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:44 pm

Hi. I've been away for a while and was wondering......did Alaska change their procedure for executing upgrades recently? I am Gold 75K and recall getting them frequently, generally with a day or two advance notice. In the last month or so I've still received them but they have either been at the gate or even when I was already in my coach seat. Substantially less convenient to get them at the very last minute. I'm not complaining but now (for example) I'm on a flight from Oakland and I had to really push to remind the gate agent about doing upgrades and I still boarded well after other "status" passengers boarded (and I noticed several open FC seats just a few hours before flight time). Fortunately I was able to get overhead space. Is there a new procedure that eliminates advance upgrade notifications? Thanks for offering up this flame-free forum.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by bofc
Hi. I've been away for a while and was wondering......did Alaska change their procedure for executing upgrades recently? I am Gold 75K and recall getting them frequently, generally with a day or two advance notice. In the last month or so I've still received them but they have either been at the gate or even when I was already in my coach seat. Substantially less convenient to get them at the very last minute. I'm not complaining but now (for example) I'm on a flight from Oakland and I had to really push to remind the gate agent about doing upgrades and I still boarded well after other "status" passengers boarded (and I noticed several open FC seats just a few hours before flight time). Fortunately I was able to get overhead space. Is there a new procedure that eliminates advance upgrade notifications? Thanks for offering up this flame-free forum.
Yes, Alaska has decreased the F cabin from 16 to 12 seats on 738's as part of the legroom expansion/Premium Class rollout. They've severely restricted U space more than in the past, part in due to the lower number of seats available for those aircraft and giving a cushion for tail swaps from 739/ER to 738. Better to go to the gate and then upgrade someone versus bumping people who now have confirmed F seats.

In conjunction with that, there were several upgrade memos sent out gate agents that led to confusion and upgrades being sold ahead of clearing the upgrade list. That mostly should be straightened out but it sounds like from your experience, there are still GA's that aren't processing upgrades like perhaps they should be. Do drop a note to Alaska Listens about your experiences! And the lack of advance clearing of the upgrade lists. If it's important to you, they need to hear it, even if they choose to ignore it.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:40 pm

Thank you!

bofc
Old May 25, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
What's the service like in F on the SEA-PDX short flight [mainline AS], and is there anything for the status passengers flying on the Horizon Air DH8?

I suppose with the flight being as short as it is, there's not much difference?
Old May 25, 2017, 5:48 pm

Hi, naive question about companion fares, thanks in advance for your help:

I plan to apply for the Alaska Airlines MileagePlan credit card to take advantage of the current promotion to waive the $100 on the companion fare promo, and I'd like to use that companion fare promo to book a flight for June 21, 2017 (approximately 3.5 weeks from now). Assuming that I get instantly approved for the card and can spend the requisite $1000 right away, when should I expect to receive the companion fare code, and is anyone aware of being able to successfully call customer service to expedite?

Question part 2: If I pessimistically assume that I it's *not* possible to receive my companion fare discount code right away, is there any precedent or place on this forum to ask for an existing mileage plan member to book my flights for me with *their own* companion fare code (I'd pay them for the flights, of course) and then in return offer to book a flight in the future and use my companion fare code for them (since I'll receive it eventually, just not in time for my own flight...)?
Old May 25, 2017, 5:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Remind me: Does 1A on the AS/Skywest CR7 has extra or restricted legroom?
Old May 25, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Aren't those CR7s retired now? The only CRJs of any sort I see on the current timetable are all AA codeshares.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
What's the service like in F on the SEA-PDX short flight [mainline AS], and is there anything for the status passengers flying on the Horizon Air DH8?

I suppose with the flight being as short as it is, there's not much difference?
Not sure about the F cabin as I've never flown it on that route, but the only thing for status pax on the Q400 (DH8) is access on booking to seats in the front half of the cabin, particularly 1B, 2D/E. All others can select a vacant seat in the front section at T-24/OLCI. In flight will be coffee, water (maybe juice?) in the morning or a selected beer, wine, water, sodas in the afternoon/evening assuming there isn't expected turbulence. Beer, wine and the others are complimentary for all pax.

Originally Posted by rjandrade
Hi, naive question about companion fares, thanks in advance for your help:

I plan to apply for the Alaska Airlines MileagePlan credit card to take advantage of the current promotion to waive the $100 on the companion fare promo, and I'd like to use that companion fare promo to book a flight for June 21, 2017 (approximately 3.5 weeks from now). Assuming that I get instantly approved for the card and can spend the requisite $1000 right away, when should I expect to receive the companion fare code, and is anyone aware of being able to successfully call customer service to expedite?

Question part 2: If I pessimistically assume that I it's *not* possible to receive my companion fare discount code right away, is there any precedent or place on this forum to ask for an existing mileage plan member to book my flights for me with *their own* companion fare code (I'd pay them for the flights, of course) and then in return offer to book a flight in the future and use my companion fare code for them (since I'll receive it eventually, just not in time for my own flight...)?
Q1: Unlikely to make it. Code will post on the Sunday (or following Sunday) following the statement where you meet the minimum spend closes, so you're looking at about 4.2 weeks minimum from account opening.

Q2: Yes, someone else can use their code for your use but they must pay for the flights:

Who can use my companion fare code?

The Mileage Plan™ member who owns the companion fare code must either be one of the travelers or the purchaser of the reservation. If the member is allowing two travelers to use his or her companion fare code, then the member's name must match the name on the credit card used to purchase the reservation.

If you're asking if someone here would be willing to do that, such a request is restricted to the Coupon Connection forum on FlyerTalk but that forum is limited to members who have made at least 180 posts and have 180 days of FT membership.

For more on the Companion Fare, do see the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...re-faq-36.html thread!
Old May 25, 2017, 9:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kieron
Aren't those CR7s retired now? The only CRJs of any sort I see on the current timetable are all AA codeshares.
Oh, my bad, my bad.

Should have said the E75.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Should have said the E75.
It's not bad. Here's a picture.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Not sure about the F cabin as I've never flown it on that route, but the only thing for status pax on the Q400 (DH8) is access on booking to seats in the front half of the cabin, particularly 1B, 2D/E. All others can select a vacant seat in the front section at T-24/OLCI. In flight will be coffee, water (maybe juice?) in the morning or a selected beer, wine, water, sodas in the afternoon/evening assuming there isn't expected turbulence. Beer, wine and the others are complimentary for all pax.
Thank you - useful info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.