Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:19 pm

I'm looking to do NYC-HKG-FUK. CX does not fly HKG-FUK, only KA does. Is it true that I cannot book KA flights with AS miles?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Rubinae
I'm looking to do NYC-HKG-FUK. CX does not fly HKG-FUK, only KA does. Is it true that I cannot book KA flights with AS miles?
No dragon air. You would need to do 2 redemptions or buy a one way ticket to FUK

1) CX to HKG
2) JL to HKG to FUK
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
No dragon air. You would need to do 2 redemptions or buy a one way ticket to FUK

1) CX to HKG
2) JL to HKG to FUK
Thank you for the confirmation.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Did anything happen with AS279 from PVR to SNA yesterday? Got a FR24 alert that it had squawked 7700, and when I looked at the flight path, it looked like it went to land at SNA (perhaps a go around) and then diverted to LAX.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:52 am

Does anyone work at the call center ? Just wondering what kind of notes or info is entered every time someone calls .. do you make a note that they called and what was requested or said?

Just asking cause i made a cx reservation over the phone for two tickets and mentioned it was for my honeymoon. I called a few days later to check on the status of the ticket since i never received an email, and I was talking to a different person...who randomly mentioned my “honeymoon partner” ‘s ticket will be good as well Lolol. I didn’t say anything about that so I figured it was in my account’s history notes or something!!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
So, I feel like a complete idiot but this issue has come up the last couple times I've flown into SEA.

The train that runs from N, C and D terminals. Does it not stop at D terminal in the middle of the night? I was on it Friday at like 12:30 am and it seemed to be just going from N->C->N->C skipping the D terminal. So to collect bags you had to walk from the end of C concourse.

Did I just have one too many Woodford's on my flight or what?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bta15
The train that runs from N, C and D terminals. Does it not stop at D terminal in the middle of the night? I was on it Friday at like 12:30 am and it seemed to be just going from N->C->N->C skipping the D terminal. So to collect bags you had to walk from the end of C concourse.
They were probably doing maintenance work in the tunnel. I've arrived on a few nights when it was instead shuttling between N and D only.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kieron
They were probably doing maintenance work in the tunnel. I've arrived on a few nights when it was instead shuttling between N and D only.
I've seen weird running as well. S train used to skip B terminal from 1-4 AM or so, not sure if it still does. It's scary how many people are still in the airport then.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by Kieron
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've seen weird running as well. S train used to skip B terminal from 1-4 AM or so, not sure if it still does. It's scary how many people are still in the airport then.
Ok, sounds like maybe it was a maintenance issue. But the correct way to get to baggage from N terminal is get off at the D concourse stop, correct?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by bta15
Ok, sounds like maybe it was a maintenance issue. But the correct way to get to baggage from N terminal is get off at the D concourse stop, correct?
Yes; D serves main terminal, baggage claim, and connection to S, A, and B gates.

You could theoretically get off at C, but then you would have a longer walk as the C stop is at the end of the c Terminal.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:47 pm

My VX flights to date have been purchased through AS but now I have VX travel bank money. If I purchase through VX, do I relinquish my change/cancellation fee waiver as an MVPG? Or does it just require an extra step to call and let an agent do it?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
My VX flights to date have been purchased through AS but now I have VX travel bank money. If I purchase through VX, do I relinquish my change/cancellation fee waiver as an MVPG? Or does it just require an extra step to call and let an agent do it?
No to the first question. It is now a listed benefit for Mileage Plan elite on VX:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

I haven't done it myself. If the website charges a fee, call in (assuming you can do it online). If the agent says there isn't a fee waiver, I'd refer them to that, ask for a supervisor or HUACA.

ETA: it says change fee waiver; unsure if this applies to cancellations as well like it does on AS
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Does anyone know under which circumstances Alaska offers rollover EQM's?
I hit MVP Gold but still have quite a few flights this year. Any chance those EQM's can count towards next year?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by faithful
Does anyone know under which circumstances Alaska offers rollover EQM's?
I hit MVP Gold but still have quite a few flights this year. Any chance those EQM's can count towards next year?
Counter resets to ZERO on January 1st. If you don't reach 75K (90K with partners) or 90 Segments by December 31st you will remain at MVPG and start fresh with everybody else on your "flight" to requalify for 2019. Your MVPG is valid until December 31st 2018.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Counter resets to Zero on January 1st. If you don't reach 75K (90K with partners) or 90 Segments by December 31st you will remain at MVPG.
There was a targeted promotion/trial last year, but no reports of a similar offer this year.

Rollover 2016 miles into 2017 for elite status (email from Alaska Air)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.