Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Kuchingite
I flew a CX leg purchased through an Air Canada itinerary, and have a boarding pass with both CX and AC flight numbers.
United won't credit it, any chance AS or AA will? I was going to mail it to AS anyhow instead of leaving it orphaned.
No chance AA will (since their written rules are quite clear and fairly consistently applied: it's marketing carrier that matters, and for most oneworld partners, including CX, the flight must be marketed and operated by oneworld airlines, though the oneworld airlines don't have to be the same).

For AS, it's unlikely, but there's at least a small chance because they don't consistently apply their written rule. The written rule is no credit at all for any flight marketed and operated by different partners or non-partners. In practice, they credit based on the operating carrier's earning chart for flights marketed and operated by different partners, when you email your boarding pass and eticket receipt in. The fact that your flight was marketed by a non-partner makes it unlikely that they'll give you credit it to you, but the worst they can say is no. So email the boarding pass and eticket receipt in and hope for the best.

Most likely, the only programs you can credit it to are AC and CX. (I know nothing about either program and this isn't the place to ask about their respective rules.) This is a common issue for partnerships that are outside alliance structures, including all of AS's partnerships.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:05 pm

I'm trying to find a redemption on Emirates from LAX in business, but can't find a round trip. Either inbound, or outbound. I've looked from dec '17 til may '18. Is this a known limitation?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by randomdude
I'm trying to find a redemption on Emirates from LAX in business, but can't find a round trip. Either inbound, or outbound. I've looked from dec '17 til may '18. Is this a known limitation?
Now that you mention it, that is weird. Doing a one way and space every day and RT only one day came up. The usual problem is space displays and then when you book it says space is not available.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
Now that you mention it, that is weird. Doing a one way and space every day and RT only one day came up. The usual problem is space displays and then when you book it says space is not available.
One way to fix phantom availability...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Are lounge "Day Passes" exclusive to the lounge you purchase them in? Also, how would lounge passes work when you are on a red eye? If I could purchase a day pass at 10PM ish in ANC and then get into the SEA lounge after it opens at 5 the next morning I'd probably buy one my next trip down.

Also, any chance of Alaska renovating the older SEA lounge with things like showers, ect to match the Delta lounge in S terminal?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by cragAK
Are lounge "Day Passes" exclusive to the lounge you purchase them in? Also, how would lounge passes work when you are on a red eye? If I could purchase a day pass at 10PM ish in ANC and then get into the SEA lounge after it opens at 5 the next morning I'd probably buy one my next trip down.

Also, any chance of Alaska renovating the older SEA lounge with things like showers, ect to match the Delta lounge in S terminal?
Not sure about multiple airports, but the concierges at SEA will call the other SEA lounge(s) if you want to go to another on a day pass. However
A day pass is valid for a single day.
so I don't think you'll be able to use a single pass regardless.

They just ripped out showers in the SEA C lounge when it was remodeled from the closed Admirals Club. Seems unlikely to add them back, but who knows? AS is unpredictable lately.

ETA: See beckoa's answer at #957 below. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28533250-post957.html

Last edited by rustykettel; Jul 7, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Oh well, thought it was worth asking. It always sucks arriving in Seattle feeling less fresh than I'd want, but not every hotel offers early check-in for me to get a shower that morning before going about my day.

If I flew more I'd totally grab the MVP discounted pass, can't justify it flying only 6 or 7 times a year, often when the lounges are closed
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
If I book a Asia - USA1 (stopover)- USA2 (destination) + USA3-Canada (stopover) -Asia award flight under one PNR,

1. Would the USA3-Canada-Asia part get cancelled if I decide to skip the USA1 - USA2 segment? If it does get cancelled, am I eligible to get a miles+taxes refund for the unflown one way ticket? (considering that AS awards are based on one way flights)

2. Once I fly Asia - USA1, am I able to make changes to USA1 - USA2 flight as well as the return flights?

3. Is the $15 telephone booking fee per one way or per PNR?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hightide
If I book a Asia - USA1 (stopover)- USA2 (destination) + USA3-Canada (stopover) -Asia award flight under one PNR,

1. Would the USA3-Canada-Asia part get cancelled if I decide to skip the USA1 - USA2 segment? If it does get cancelled, am I eligible to get a miles+taxes refund for the unflown one way ticket? (considering that AS awards are based on one way flights)

2. Once I fly Asia - USA1, am I able to make changes to USA1 - USA2 flight as well as the return flights?

3. Is the $15 telephone booking fee per one way or per PNR?
Just book as separate one ways regardless of how the phone booking fee is applied. Cancelling (since not MVPG) does cost $125 if not done at least 60 days in advance.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:14 am

Just book as separate one ways regardless of how the phone booking fee is applied. Cancelling (since not MVPG) does cost $125 if not done at least 60 days in advance.
And changes (Q#2) would incur the $125 change/cancellation fee. Technically, I don't believe you can make changes once that first segment is flown other than same day change (under the SDC policy) but you could always get luck with a sympathetic agent.

Q#3 is per PNR, however as booked on the same call, again, agent may waive the second charge but that's not policy.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Yup, that's why I'm booking return as I might be out $250 with 2 one-ways if I need to cancel my trip close-in.

This is really weird. For CX889, CX855 and CX837 departing on 22 March, I see 3, 2 and 5 J seats respectively on ba.com. However, the CS rep only sees J space on CX855.

For CX776 departing March 8 and CX880 departing March 9, I see Y seats available for both flights on ba.com. However, the rep sees no availability on Y, so I unwillingly booked Y+.

Does CX release fewer award seats to partner AS compared to partner BA?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by cragAK

Give AS BR a call. IIRC with ANC, if it's after 10 PM, you can use it next day downline. ^
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:25 pm

Redemption Question

I am looking to fly to Vietnam/Cambodia next summer. I want to use my Alaska miles to fly Business Class, but I am concerned about the partner airline restrictions.

My optimal flight plan:
DCA - LAX on Alaska
LAX - HKG on Cathay Pacific
HKG - Vietnam/Cambodia (all major airports except for SGN are Cathay Dragon and not Cathay Pacific)

My dilemma is that only SGN in Vietnam is a Cathay Pacific destination. I'd prefer to not fly in and out of the same airport. I'd prefer to fly into SGN and out of HAN using miles at each end of my trip. However, my concern is that Cathay Dragon does not count as the same airline as Cathay Pacific even though they're a part of the same company. Can anyone clarify this for me? If they do not count as the same company, and therefore cannot be on the same ticket, what would be the best alternative?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wahoo09
I am looking to fly to Vietnam/Cambodia next summer. I want to use my Alaska miles to fly Business Class, but I am concerned about the partner airline restrictions.

My optimal flight plan:
DCA - LAX on Alaska
LAX - HKG on Cathay Pacific
HKG - Vietnam/Cambodia (all major airports except for SGN are Cathay Dragon and not Cathay Pacific)

My dilemma is that only SGN in Vietnam is a Cathay Pacific destination. I'd prefer to not fly in and out of the same airport. I'd prefer to fly into SGN and out of HAN using miles at each end of my trip. However, my concern is that Cathay Dragon does not count as the same airline as Cathay Pacific even though they're a part of the same company. Can anyone clarify this for me? If they do not count as the same company, and therefore cannot be on the same ticket, what would be the best alternative?

Thanks!!
You're correct. There has been suggestion from other FTers that Cathay Dragon could become a partner in the not-too-distant future now that they have approval to fly to the US and may become more relevant to US-based travelers, but as things stand that's entirely speculation.

JAL is an AS redemption option from HAN. Alternatively you could book a paid ticket to HKG on Cathay Dragon or another airline and then an award home from there, although that leads to potential baggage hassles and IRROPS concerns if you're not planning on spending any time in Hong Kong.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Did a quick search on AS website, but couldn't find the answer, so maybe someone here knows:
Did a J flight with Hainan airlines which earns 200% on AS, but am not yet signed up with AS FFP. On some FFP it is possible to retroregister for past 3-6 months flights; is that the case with AS or should I have been signed up before my flight dates?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.