Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Can I do a same-day change or standby to an earlier flight if it will violate my minimum connection time (what if I'm standing at the gate of the earlier flight)?

Details:
- LAX minimum connection time (International to Domestic) is 2 hours.
- I land at LAX at 6:10am (from LAN), and currently same-ticketed on Alaska 10am flight lax to seattle.
- There is an 8am flight which I'm not allowed to ticket due to MCT rules, but I'm confident I can catch it (no bags, business class, global entry etc). Will I be allowed to take this flight if I try to do same-day change online, or if I'm standing in front of the agent?

This is in first-class & MVP Gold so no issues regarding eligibility for same-day change, the only issue is that the 8am flight is a hair under MCT for LAX.
I don't think you'll be able to do a SDC online, or at least until the first segment has flown because of the MCT logic, but if you can get to an AS agent before the the standby list closes, they should be able to add you to the standby list as a Gold and if before check in closes as a confirmed. I believe those times have slightly different cutoff times.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Can I do a same-day change or standby to an earlier flight if it will violate my minimum connection time (what if I'm standing at the gate of the earlier flight)?

Details:
- I land at LAX at 6:10am (from LAN), and currently same-ticketed on Alaska 10am flight lax to seattle.
- There is an 8am flight which I'm not allowed to ticket due to MCT rules, but I'm confident I can catch it (no bags, business class, global entry etc). Will I be allowed to take this flight if I try to do same-day change online, or if I'm standing in front of the agent?

This is in first-class & MVP Gold so no issues regarding eligibility for same-day change, the only issue is that the 8am flight is a hair under MCT for LAX.
Online no idea. At the gate yes if seats available or standby
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've broken MinConnect with OLCI before. Won't work with bags. And with an international segment, OLCI might be broken. Try checking in from the downline segment (ie choose your departure from LAX) and the flight should appear (assuming AS status, and availability) 10 PM the day before Pacific Time.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
So on the app (android) I was able to "pre-order" a cheese plate for my upcoming trek to Las Vegas (well SEA-LAS), is this new?!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
So on the app (android) I was able to "pre-order" a cheese plate for my upcoming trek to Las Vegas (well SEA-LAS), is this new?!
I have used it several times in months past on my iPhone, I assume it was the same for Android users. I have also noticed that the last few times I have done it I got upgraded so it has become my lucky charm so to speak.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
I have 4 Gold Guest upgrades in my account that expire 12/18. Here are my questions:

1. Can I apply these to a reservation with a flight past that 12/18 expiration?

2. Are these upgrades automatic? If I apply the coupon I get automatic upgrade to first class rather than being put in an upgrade list?

3. Can I apply these guest passes to an award ticket? Does the award ticket need to be a special ticket type in order to apply the upgrade?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by tennislover9
I have 4 Gold Guest upgrades in my account that expire 12/18. Here are my questions:

I believe so, but I haven't done it.

2. Are these upgrades automatic? If I apply the coupon I get automatic upgrade to first class rather than being put in an upgrade list?
They can only be applied to a flight with current upgrade (U) availability. If they can be applied, they're applied immediately. There is no waitlist for guest upgrades: if there's no availability, they can't be applied or waitlisted.

3. Can I apply these guest passes to an award ticket? Does the award ticket need to be a special ticket type in order to apply the upgrade?
No. See the rules.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by tennislover9

1. Yes! Code must used (applied) by the expiration date.

2. Yes, in the sense that there must be U available (solid blue box with white F next to the flight when searching) on the flight (or on one of the flights if connecting with less than 4 hours in between) to use the GGU. You can't waitlist a GGU is U isn't available(*). Once applied, you're moved into the F cabin immediately.

(*) if you're have multiple flights and you've applied your GGU to one flight & U isn't available at the time on the other flight, I believe you can call Reservations to move you up if U opens up but this isn't automatic. Please correct me if this is wrong.

3. Unfortunately not.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
When is your flight? I'd like to do this but the option isn't available for me yet (I'm traveling SEA to LAS too)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:30 pm

Details:

I did this exact scenario on the 2nd. My incoming flight was early, landing at 6:30am. I was on the 9:55am LAX-SEA flight, so as soon as we touched down I got on the phone with Alaska, and they moved me to the 8am flight.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
closest Lounge to N Satellite

Arriving and departing from N Satellite. Which Lounge is faster to get to via train? The one in C or D?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by philemer
Arriving and departing from N Satellite. Which Lounge is faster to get to via train? The one in C or D?
I believe your best bet would be the one in the north satellite.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
That one slipped my mind. Using a PP membership so hopefully they'll have room @ 4:30pm. Thx.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
But if you didn't want that one, C would be the 2nd closest, but not by much. Take the escalator up from the trains to the main gate level, elevator to the Alaska Lounge is on the wall next to gate C16A & restrooms.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
But if you didn't want that one, C would be the 2nd closest. Take the escalator up from the trains to the main gate level, elevator to the Alaska Lounge is on the wall next to gate C16A & restrooms.
Thanks. Never 100% sure what gate we'll be departing from of course. Looks like SEA>KOA often uses N.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.