Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Sanity Check: Cancelling fare less than cancellation fee

Ok, so I want to run a sanity check and make sure my logic is correct here.

I am an MVP and have a non-refundable ticket ($100) whose value is less than the change fee ($125). My options for cancelling the ticket are:

1. Put it into my wallet. However, I'm going to get charged $125 today so I come out - $25.
2. E-mail the credit. Same as above where I come out -$25.
3. E-mail cancelled ticket # and retrieve the value later. Looks like I don't pay upfront, so worst case I just let the value expire. Best case, I make MVPG before the expiration date and buy a new ticket without the change fee?

I know this is a super basic question and the searches of the thread have led me to the conclusions above. However, it would be nice to get confirmation of my assumptions.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Ok, so I want to run a sanity check and make sure my logic is correct here.

I am an MVP and have a non-refundable ticket ($100) whose value is less than the change fee ($125). My options for cancelling the ticket are:

1. Put it into my wallet. However, I'm going to get charged $125 today so I come out - $25.
2. E-mail the credit. Same as above where I come out -$25.
3. E-mail cancelled ticket # and retrieve the value later. Looks like I don't pay upfront, so worst case I just let the value expire. Best case, I make MVPG before the expiration date and buy a new ticket without the change fee?

I know this is a super basic question and the searches of the thread have led me to the conclusions above. However, it would be nice to get confirmation of my assumptions.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Correct if inside 60 days of departure go with #3. No fee if its 60+ days out for everyone
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. Should have mentioned that it was 30 days until the flight.

Can anyone confirm if the cancellation fee gets waiver if I make MVP Gold next year before rebooking?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by octagondd
I will be starting to commute on AS in September. AS has the best flights for my commute, so it seems to be the way to go. Is the AS Sig card the best way to go if I want to lower the cost of my overall commute in the long run, or should I use a cash back card or some other card that has higher miles/$? (AMEX?)
You should make the credit card decision separately from the choice of airline. The missing piece is figuring out how much an Alaska mile is worth to you.

Hypothetically, if your commute route requires 25000 AS miles for a free ticket, but that free ticket would otherwise have a cash cost of $350, then an AS mile is worth 1.4 cents to you. Now, you can compare your options for buying the ticket:

Alaska Visa (3 miles/$) = $350 x 3 x 1.4 cents = $14.70 (4.2% return)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points/$ worth minimum 1.5 cents) = $350 x 3 x 1.5 cents = $15.75 (4.5% return)
Amex Business Platinum (5 points/$ worth minimum 1.35 cents after rebate) = $350 x 5 x 1.35 cents = $23.62 (6.7% return)

You should figure out for yourself how much these different currencies are worth, based on how you will redeem them, then simply do the math, while accounting for any annual fees.

If you want to add one more wrinkle, you might identify the second best airline for your route and see if it makes sense to collect their miles from the purchase price (probably thru Chase or Amex points). That would give you leverage in a week when Alaska is expensive.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:00 am
jjz

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Thanks. Should have mentioned that it was 30 days until the flight.

Can anyone confirm if the cancellation fee gets waiver if I make MVP Gold next year before rebooking?
Sorry, I don't think the cancellation fee gets waived

I'm in the same situation where I have a cancelled ticket ($185) from when I was MVP. I'm now MVP Gold, but when I try to exchange the ticket or deposit its value, I see a $125 fee.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jjz

I'm in the same situation where I have a cancelled ticket ($185) from when I was MVP. I'm now MVP Gold, but when I try to exchange the ticket or deposit its value, I see a $125 fee.
My suggestion would be to talk to an agent. They may be able to waive the fee.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jjz

Status on a ticket doesn't automatically update when you change elite status, its always taken a phone call. Even the upgrades you stay stuck on the list as an MVP and not as a gold, it take a removal and readdition of MP # to fix it, don't let any agent tell you that it automatically updates. A phone call would be necessary on emailed ticket credit
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CDKing
Status on a ticket doesn't automatically update when you change elite status, its always taken a phone call. Even the upgrades you stay stuck on the list as an MVP and not as a gold, it take a removal and readdition of MP # to fix it, don't let any agent tell you that it automatically updates. A phone call would be necessary on emailed ticket credit
Slightly OT but they did (mostly) fix the automatic updates to status on existing tickets recently. Another FT poster and I tracked it pretty exhaustively as we moved up through the tiers in 2016. That said, I wouldn't bet on it being updated on past tickets.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Anyone have a quick way to get 7,014 tier miles quickly without flying butt-in-seat? I missed one of the work trips to HYD and it would be nice to have a few more fare buckets instantly upgradeable as a 75k.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Anyone have a quick way to get 7,014 tier miles quickly without flying butt-in-seat? I missed one of the work trips to HYD and it would be nice to have a few more fare buckets instantly upgradeable as a 75k.
Fortunately (unfortunately for you, though), the only way to get EQM's on AS is by flying. Butt-in-seat is the only path to status on AS. It is why many of us love the program - you can't buy or spend your way to status without flying.

You do get bonus EQM's for flying in paid F (and to a lesser extent, Y, S, M or B) though. So a short ~2000 mile RT AS flight in F would get you there.

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 1, 2017 at 11:04 am Reason: My math was a bit off
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Finkface
Fortunately (unfortunately for you, though), the only way to get EQM's on AS is by flying. Butt-in-seat is the only path to status on AS. It is why many of us love the program - you can't buy or spend your way to status without flying.

You do get bonus EQM's for flying in paid F though. So a short ~2000 mile RT flight in F would get you there.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:11 pm

My husband and I were MVP Gold for the first time this year and would like to have it again next year. Based on our current planned travels we will be a little short at the end of 2017 to get it for 2018. United has often given us about 60 days the following year to earn the additional miles. Does Alaska ever offer this to earn MVP Gold?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:17 pm

Edit: post can be deleted; misread previous post.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by fromhometoroam
My husband and I were MVP Gold for the first time this year and would like to have it again next year. Based on our current planned travels we will be a little short at the end of 2017 to get it for 2018. United has often given us about 60 days the following year to earn the additional miles. Does Alaska ever offer this to earn MVP Gold?
AS had done a challenge program for some in previous years- but I would not count on this- either fly a bit more, or upfare a ticket to F for more EQM's.

This program afaik did not happen for 2017 elite year.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:48 pm

Question deleted. Found the answer

Last edited by fromhometoroam; Aug 2, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.