Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TownCar
Ok, thanks for the info! Wasn't sure what the seat reservation/blocking policy was, but I'm sure I'll be doing OLCI promptly at T-24.
Keep checking after T-24, right up until you get on the plane. Often people upgrade or move at check in, and better seats open up. It is not even unusual for me to change my seat right as I am leaving home, then 45 minutes later when I arrive at the airport, change it again at the kiosk.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Can I use a discount code and a Gold Guest Upgrade on the same reservation?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
Can I use a discount code and a Gold Guest Upgrade on the same reservation?
Yes.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:43 pm

I have a series of question, hope someone can help me out here. I am new to AS, so I am thinking about status-matching from AA EXP to AS 75k, and I have a few flights with AM at the end of Sep and beginning of Oct.
1. how long will the status match take? is it difficult or is it rather hassle-free?
2. I know last year you can status match in October and you will get the next year full status, is it still true this year?
3. If I retroactively credit my AM flights to AS once I get my status, do I get the bonus miles for being MVP75k? For how long after the flight with AM am I allowed to credit it to AS? (1 week? 3 weeks?)
4. my flight on AM earns 50% with AS, so the MVP bonus 125% is applied which way? aka, if the flight is 10000 miles, I get 10000*(50%+125%)=17500 miles or 10000*50%*225%=12500 miles?

best case scenario I can think of is matching on Oct 1st and gain MVP75k quickly, and credit my flights with AM to AS retro-actively as soon as I get MVP75k to get more miles, but maybe that is just my fantasy?
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by beyounged
I have a series of question, hope someone can help me out here. I am new to AS, so I am thinking about status-matching from AA EXP to AS 75k, and I have a few flights with AM at the end of Sep and beginning of Oct.
1. how long will the status match take? is it difficult or is it rather hassle-free?
2. I know last year you can status match in October and you will get the next year full status, is it still true this year?
3. If I retroactively credit my AM flights to AS once I get my status, do I get the bonus miles for being MVP75k? For how long after the flight with AM am I allowed to credit it to AS? (1 week? 3 weeks?)
4. my flight on AM earns 50% with AS, so the MVP bonus 125% is applied which way? aka, if the flight is 10000 miles, I get 10000*(50%+125%)=17500 miles or 10000*50%*225%=12500 miles?

best case scenario I can think of is matching on Oct 1st and gain MVP75k quickly, and credit my flights with AM to AS retro-actively as soon as I get MVP75k to get more miles, but maybe that is just my fantasy?
Thanks in advance!
1. Hassle-free, see 2nd.
2. Still applies
3. No, you'll get the miles according to the status you had at the time of flying. As long as you had at least an MP number at the time of travel, you can retroactively claim up to 11 months after travel. see: https://www.alaskaair.com/MileagePlan/retrocredit
4. MVPG (and MVP&75k) bonus is applied to base miles, so you get 10000*0.5 + 10000*0.5*1.25 = 11250 RDM.

What you have in mind is definitely fantasty, you won't be able to status-match in October and apply the status bonus to a flight in September, as you won't have had the status eligible for the bonus at the time of flying.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Experience with AS to HU itineraries

I have a connection to Hainan this fall from an AS flight, which was an award booking. AS customer service told me that the HU website doesn't recognize their PNR or e-ticket numbers, so have to call for seats etc.

This got me thinking about day of flight - I would have expected to get my boarding pass from AS in Anchorage and have bags checked all the way through, but now I am wondering if there are also issues between the two airlines in that respect. Does anyone have any experience with these two airlines on the same itinerary?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AKDan
I have a connection to Hainan this fall from an AS flight, which was an award booking. AS customer service told me that the HU website doesn't recognize their PNR or e-ticket numbers, so have to call for seats etc.

This got me thinking about day of flight - I would have expected to get my boarding pass from AS in Anchorage and have bags checked all the way through, but now I am wondering if there are also issues between the two airlines in that respect. Does anyone have any experience with these two airlines on the same itinerary?
They should be able to check them through as long as stop is under 12 hours between Itins. HU just dosn't allow non HU ticket stock to be pulled up on their website until OLCI.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
1. Hassle-free, see 2nd.
2. Still applies
3. No, you'll get the miles according to the status you had at the time of flying. As long as you had at least an MP number at the time of travel, you can retroactively claim up to 11 months after travel. see: https://www.alaskaair.com/MileagePlan/retrocredit
4. MVPG (and MVP&75k) bonus is applied to base miles, so you get 10000*0.5 + 10000*0.5*1.25 = 11250 RDM.

What you have in mind is definitely fantasty, you won't be able to status-match in October and apply the status bonus to a flight in September, as you won't have had the status eligible for the bonus at the time of flying.
thank you very much. I see reports that it normally takes 15-20 days to match, does that mean all my Oct flights would likely not be able to get the bonus 125%?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by beyounged
thank you very much. I see reports that it normally takes 15-20 days to match, does that mean all my Oct flights would likely not be able to get the bonus 125%?
When you request the match you can request it start Day X, so that shouldn't be an issue
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
When you request the match you can request it start Day X, so that shouldn't be an issue
so technically I can request in September and ask them to start in October 1st, when it will give me the entire 2018 status as well?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
discount codes and airfare credits

I have the following:
$75 discount codes from Bank of america credit card spending promotion
$25 from customer service
$50 credit from airfare guaranteed

Questions:
Can those be combined?
Can I use them for someone else?

Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by milemission
I have the following:
$75 discount codes from Bank of america credit card spending promotion
$25 from customer service
$50 credit from airfare guaranteed

Questions:
Can those be combined?
Can I use them for someone else?

Thank you!
The $50 airfare guarantee credit can be used with either discount code (the first two), but the discount codes can't be combined with each other. You can check the T&C either by logging into your account, under Valid Discount codes and click in the T&C column or by entering the code at https://www.alaskaair.com/shared/tip...ountCodes.aspx

I know that the regular Companion Fare discount code either must have the cardholder as one of the travelers or on the credit card used to pay for the tickets (although it seems to be just matching last names at least for the payment). I took a look at one my customer service discount codes and it says this:

Passengers: The recipient of this discount code must be one of the travelers . Discount is valid for up to 7 people traveling together and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation and at the same fare.
Transferability: Discount Codes are issued in the name of the traveler and are not transferable. Discount Codes may not be sold, bought, bartered, auctioned or collected in bulk. Any deemed by Alaska Airlines to have been distributed or acquired improperly will not be honored and traveler will be responsible for payment of full fare.
Your discount codes may well have different verbiage so YMMV.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
New to Frequent Flying

I will be starting to commute on AS in September. AS has the best flights for my commute, so it seems to be the way to go. Is the AS Sig card the best way to go if I want to lower the cost of my overall commute in the long run, or should I use a cash back card or some other card that has higher miles/$? (AMEX?)

The AS Sig card seems like a good deal for what I need, but there are so many programs and although I have spent many hours here reading various threads it is hard to get a handle on what is best for me.

Any other commuters out there who are just trying to lower commute cost and not necessarily bank miles for International travel have any advice for me?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I have two Alaska Airlines Lounge passes showing Valid in My Account (expire 12/31/17).

Each pass shows with a long AW6O-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx code.

Are these 'code passes' transferable?

If so, can I give the code to a family/friend who is NOT flying AS but will transit SEA soon? Or do they have to have a same-day AS ticket to use?

Thanks in advance! ^

Last edited by geo1005; Jul 27, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by geo1005
I have two Alaska Airlines Lounge passes showing Valid in My Account (expire 12/31/17).

Each pass shows with a long AW6O-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx code.

Are these 'code passes' transferable?

If so, can I give the code to a family/friend who is NOT flying AS but will transit SEA soon? Or do they have to have a same-day AS ticket to use?

Thanks in advance! ^
You can give them the code. It would also be best if you gave them your AS MP FF# as that will be helpful for the lounge agent.

The person using the pass doesn't need to be flying AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.