Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cblaisd
It used to be really easy, iirc: the flight after doing an appropriate search either had a "U" beside for availability or a "U" with a strikethrough with no availability. That was pretty transparent. Wonder why it went away.
It's still there, you just have to know how to interpret it.

When selecting GGU eligible fare radio button, or elite instant upgrade fare radio buttons...
  1. White F on a dark blue background (like your screenshot showed) means U is open.
  2. Blue F on a white background means U is not open.
  3. No colored F showing at all means either the flight is sold full in first class, or does not have a first class cabin.

I agree with you 100% that the new system of displaying this data sucks and I don't at all understand why it needed to change. I think I heard somewhere that it was to "increase transparency" and "simplify the process", but for me it has done exactly the opposite. YMMV as in all things.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I plan to fly internationally on AA operated by BA.
As MVP Gold, do I get 100% bonus miles when I credit my travel miles to AS account?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by desikid
I plan to fly internationally on AA operated by BA.
As MVP Gold, do I get 100% bonus miles when I credit my travel miles to AS account?
Codeshares between two AS partners are in a gray area where technically you're not supposed to get any credit and they won't credit automatically, but if you save your boarding passes and send them in to the Mileage Plan desk you'll get the miles (as has happened for me in two separate cases so far). And yes, you'll get the 100% RDM bonus for partner flights.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
DL Lounge access at SLC on an AS award ticket?

I'll be flying DL LHR-SLC-YVR on an AS awards ticket in late Jan. LHR-SLC is in J. SLC-YVR is in coach. I tried to book J but there was no availability. It was an almost last minute booking so I had to go with what was available.

Based on the LHR-SLC portion being a J ticket, do I get DL lounge access at SLC. ? Its a four and a half hour layover so I am keenly interested in not hanging around at the gate.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:03 pm

Icelandair Partner

We have RT tickets on Icelandair in Comfort Economy, IAD-KEF. I read that they are now partners with Alaska. Can I use Alaska miles to upgrade to Saga Class, which is their Business Class? If so, how do I do that?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pbahab
We have RT tickets on Icelandair in Comfort Economy, IAD-KEF. I read that they are now partners with Alaska. Can I use Alaska miles to upgrade to Saga Class, which is their Business Class? If so, how do I do that?
Nope, mileage upgrades is only on AS metal. Can't use miles up upgrade any partners.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Nope, mileage upgrades is only on AS metal. Can't use miles up upgrade any partners.
Thank you!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Based on the LHR-SLC portion being a J ticket, do I get DL lounge access at SLC. ? Its a four and a half hour layover so I am keenly interested in not hanging around at the gate.
This question is better asked in the DL forum. However, I believe that you will have access to the SkyClub at SLC based on an international J arrival. Last time I arrived in international J at JFK and continued onward on my next segment in Y, they let me in. Ymmv.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:00 pm

I am flying a 737-900 tomorrow with the "new" premium cabin. When I look at the alaska air mobile app to see the first class waitlist, it shows over 40 people on the list and 50% of them, including me, are already shown as cleared, but it is for the premium cabin. Is there a way to see the first class wait list so I know where I stand?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by itsbs2
I am flying a 737-900 tomorrow with the "new" premium cabin. When I look at the alaska air mobile app to see the first class waitlist, it shows over 40 people on the list and 50% of them, including me, are already shown as cleared, but it is for the premium cabin. Is there a way to see the first class wait list so I know where I stand?
The app has two different check mark types on the waitlist now. The one with the green background is for F.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by itsbs2

At this point its just one big jumbled mess and no separate lists to see on the website.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
one big jumbled mess
I nominate this as the new name for Mileage Plan ^
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Wallet funds expiration question:

For example, let's say I have wallet funds from a canceled AS flight expiring on 1/1/2018.
If I used the credit to book a flight for let's say 7/1/2018, can I keep changing the flight (greater than 60 days out) to prevent the wallet funds from expiring?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I am at a loss for what to do next....

I had two paid F AA flights in mid-December. Unfortunately my AS # which had been in the record dropped out when I did a same-day change of the flights and my AA # was put in.

When I noticed that, I called AA and they removed the mileage credit for those flights from my account.

I then did the "Missing Mileage Credit" on the AS website and had zero response.

I have also now emailed AS Mileage Plan three times about this with ZERO response. But I do now notice that my online account today says:

12/15/2016 AMERICAN AIRLINES
Flight 1019 DFW COS Declined:
Duplicate Request 0 0 0
Flight 1402 SEA DFW Declined:
Duplicate Request 0 0 0

I am at a loss of what to do. Usually AS Mileage Plan has been much better about responding to emails.

It's not an insignificant # of miles at issue!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am at a loss for what to do next....

I had two paid F AA flights in mid-December. Unfortunately my AS # which had been in the record dropped out when I did a same-day change of the flights and my AA # was put in.

When I noticed that, I called AA and they removed the mileage credit for those flights from my account.

I then did the "Missing Mileage Credit" on the AS website and had zero response.

I have also now emailed AS Mileage Plan three times about this with ZERO response. But I do now notice that my online account today says:

Flight 1019 DFW COS Declined:
Duplicate Request 0 0 0
Flight 1402 SEA DFW Declined:
Duplicate Request 0 0 0

I am at a loss of what to do. Usually AS Mileage Plan has been much better about responding to emails.

It's not an insignificant # of miles at issue!
I would screenshot the page of your AA account that shows that the miles for that flight that had credited to AA were reversed out of your account and send that in to Customer Care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.