Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by nomii
I had booked a Delta metal ticket back in November, for a flight this summer, which I was planning to credit miles to alaska, which should've worked out per alaska announcement (since booked and ticketed before 19th dec).

Yesterday, a delta schedule change caused me to call delta and change my booking a bit due to the schedule change, which I believe caused a reissuance of the ticket.

So ... now I cannot credit to alaska right?
Since no one has experience with that issue, I'd ask missydarlin, perhaps in a different thread or sending her a private message in case she doesn't see it here.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, unfortunately. Complimentary MCE on AA and Preferred with a chance of F upgrade but not C+ on DL vs Main Cabin only on VX.

Please send feedback to AS https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback and let them know how this is influencing your flight purchasing decisions.
So booked most of my short haul on DAL or AA exact one on VX. And did the unthinkable: Booked LAX to BOS on AA as well instead of VX. This flight is a week out and I checked ExpertFlyer and looked like I had a pretty good shot to get upgraded to first as AA EP. Quite annoying that VX won't even allow me to pick Main Cabin Select.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT, AS MVP Gold
Question about 50k bonus miles normally granted upon MVP Gold 75k qualification. On the Alaskan website, it says members granted complimentary status doesn't get the 50k bonus miles.

However, if I get status match for 75k now and requalify for 2018 normally by flying, I assume that I would still get the 50k bonus from requalifying for 2018, right?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by thois
Question about 50k bonus miles normally granted upon MVP Gold 75k qualification. On the Alaskan website, it says members granted complimentary status doesn't get the 50k bonus miles.

However, if I get status match for 75k now and requalify for 2018 normally by flying, I assume that I would still get the 50k bonus from requalifying for 2018, right?
The bonus miles are an annual re qualification bonus. Once you fly 75K (AS/VX) /90K (if partners included) in 2017 you will get 50K miles. Same every year after that as long as the terms of the program don't change between now and then.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:26 am

Just spoke to an AS CSR regarding my attempt to book SJD - SFO (stopover) - BOS on a single award ticket using the stopover routing policies.

It seems the CSR basically punched the itinerary into her system which is the same as the website and because it didn't pop up she said I would have to book as two separate tickets.

I noted the itinerary is valid given the stated stopover rules on the AS website but she was confused and seemed to think not. I suppose I will HUCA and try a new CSR.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
late addition of AS MP number to Delta tix?

I have an existing DL tix, purchased in early DEC, for SMF-SLC-SMF, flying 8 FEB - 11 FEB. Can I change my points to become AS pts? Or am I out of the window?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pcoll52
I have an existing DL tix, purchased in early DEC, for SMF-SLC-SMF, flying 8 FEB - 11 FEB. Can I change my points to become AS pts? Or am I out of the window?
You should be OK as long as you haven't received any benefits from using your DL FFN (like a F upgrade, free checked baggage, etc.) Twitter support might be able to help you, but otherwise you'll want to call.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by kymiller
Just spoke to an AS CSR regarding my attempt to book SJD - SFO (stopover) - BOS on a single award ticket using the stopover routing policies.

It seems the CSR basically punched the itinerary into her system which is the same as the website and because it didn't pop up she said I would have to book as two separate tickets.

I noted the itinerary is valid given the stated stopover rules on the AS website but she was confused and seemed to think not. I suppose I will HUCA and try a new CSR.
Is Mexico to US considered an international flight Maybe that is why I can't book my stopover?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Is Mexico to US considered an international flight Maybe that is why I can't book my stopover?
Shouldn't be the issue, but note that the award chart for that is now mileage-based...

I'm curious which call center told that to you?

Last edited by brizone; Feb 6, 2017 at 4:21 pm Reason: Misread part of that
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by brizone
Shouldn't be the issue, but note that the award chart for that is now mileage-based...

I'm curious which call center told that to you?
800-AKASKAAIR

When I use SEA as the stopover (SJD-SEA-BOS) it funds all the routes no problem on AS metal. When I try to use SFO, it isn't even locating VX flights which exist and operate out of SFO. Seems strange which is why I thought perhaps it wasn't considering SJD an international flight and was applying domestic stopover rules for AS metal.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
800-AKASKAAIR
No, I mean: when they answer, they give you their name and tell you which CALL CENTER you just reached. Seattle, Boise or Phoenix. Seattle and Boise generally better.

When I use SEA as the stopover (SJD-SEA-BOS) it funds all the routes no problem on AS metal. When I try to use SFO, it isn't even locating VX flights which exist and operate out of SFO. Seems strange which is why I thought perhaps it wasn't considering SJD an international flight and was applying domestic stopover rules for AS metal.
That's strange. It should still have no problem as long as you're not trying to mix in another (3rd) carrier on the award. But where VX is concerned, who knows what's going on in the award reservations back-end right now?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:40 am

New to AS. I did Virgin MR promo and got elite gold last year. I just received mileage card and it states I have 75k but on my AS page, it's only MVPG. What status do I have?

After looking at benefits, not much different for 75k over Gold other than 125% mileage earning. and looking at a thread to report not being upgraded, I guess paying for upgrade-able seat is waste of $$ ?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:51 am

I am AA Plat, and I can use that status to book the Economy Plus seats in AS. However, if I do that the miles get credited to AA.

Is there anyway I can use my AA status on AS to get better seats AND credit the miles flown to AS?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by larciel
looking at a thread to report not being upgraded, I guess paying for upgrade-able seat is waste of $$ ?
Don't confuse instant upgrade-eligible seats with the regular upgrades that are available regardless of fare class. There's more info available on this forum and on Alaska's website, but tl;dr: paying for instantly upgradable seats makes sense when there's instant upgrade availability and the price is reasonable. Otherwise you're better off just hoping for a regular complimentary upgrade.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
could not find a comprehensive answer elsewhere using search function so asking here ...

I have 73,000 alaska miles and looking for a business class ticket for LAX-BOM for November 2017. Searching the website yields only 2 options: (a) BA for 70k with $260 fees, and (b) EK with 82.5k and $29 fees. Worst case scenario is I can transfer some SPG points to Alaska and buy an EK ticket. I was not impressed with BA's CW.

My questions are:

1) I believe I need to call for CX award but how soon do I need to call, and also how do I see AF/KL award availability?

2) What are some options for topping off my mileage balance with 9,000 more miles if need be?

Thank you!

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; Feb 8, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.