Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer
Does that hold for the credit card as well?
Thank god it doesn't. Call Alaska they may sell you the remaining miles but even a walk up fare would cost less.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Have you checked out the MVP qualification page on the Alaska site? There's three different ways to elite status listed at the bottom of the page, and they all involve flying. It might be a little misleading that Alaska doesn't say "flight miles" versus the text they use "Eligible miles earned on Alaska Airlines and Virgin America", but flight miles is what they mean.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...p-benefits/mvp
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Alaska
It is far from obvious. And I currently have more "Alaska" (elite?) miles listed than they show when I click on "mileage activity" and add up every line from the last 2 years - including through partners (34,746 shown, but all miles total to only 34,198). No idea why that would be. I'm not complaining - yay free miles - but it would be nice if this stuff made sense.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer
It is far from obvious. And I currently have more "Alaska" (elite?) miles listed than they show when I click on "mileage activity" and add up every line from the last 2 years - including through partners (34,746 shown, but all miles total to only 34,198). No idea why that would be. I'm not complaining - yay free miles - but it would be nice if this stuff made sense.
Elite qualifying miles, that count towards status, are earned between Jan 1 and Dec 31 of each year only and don't rollover (*there was a limited targeted promo in past years that was an exception). Only flying on Alaska or partners that count towards elite status earns elite qualifying miles. Class of service bonuses can increase over the actual miles flown, while lower fare classes on partners can earn less that 100% of the actual flown mileage (or even 0 if the fare class isn't qualifying). Also, AS and nearly all partner earn a minimum of 500 miles per segment.

Redeemable miles, which is what you can use for award flights or other uses, is the amount of miles listed as your balance. These do not expire as long as you have recent activity. Generally this will be the same as the elite qualifying miles earned for any given flight plus MVP/Gold/75K bonus and any other applicable bonus or promotion and any non-flight partner or credit card miles.

Activity listed on your account will show redeemable miles and doesn't break out elite qualifying from it, which may be why you see a discrepency. Also, since miles don't expire with activity, the total can include miles earned older than two years ago. The only place to see your current elite qualifying miles is under the progress bars towards elite status.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by treinhard
I was counting on an M fare to get me a 25% EQM bonus to get me to MVPG for the first time (I’ve been MVP for 4 years) Now, come to find out, I won’t earn the 25% because it was booked on a companion fare (I was the secondary). This will leave me 49 miles short of MVPG. If I call and ask nicely, is there any chance they will give me the extra 49 miles? It seems so trivial that I’m hoping that they will.
I never saw an answer to your question. Last year I was a couple hundred miles short of MVP. I had a flight in late December get cancelled due to weather and I ended up driving from Seattle to Portland instead. That flight would have put me over the top. I emailed customer service explaining my situation and the automated response said it would take 7 days. Rather than wait, I called in and they offered me a challenge which was something like 5000 miles in the first 90 days to get MVP - I took it since I would have accomplished it. A couple days later they responded to my original email request and automatically enrolled me in MVP without a challenge. So, I guess it depends who you talk to . Good luck!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I just saw the AS offer: points transferred from Elites incur no fee through December 28th. I will be AS MVP next year, and my wife will not have any AS status. We anticipate next year traveling together ~80% of the time (8-10 legs / year for leisure together and 2-4 legs / year for business alone). Does it make sense to transfer my 22k miles to her 44k miles under this promo, simply to pool them for a TBD leisure trip as soon as this summer?

TIA
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
As an MVPG75, when booking coach tickets, is there any point to selecting the "upgrade fare type MVP Gold 75K" since I will still be able to select complimentary premium seats during seat selection? Is the ticket booked under Main Cabin vs Premium Class upgrade (even though it's the same price) somehow different? Just wondering if something happens on the back end that helps/hurts further upgrade chances. Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
hopenthat clears
Originally Posted by faithful
As an MVPG75, when booking coach tickets, is there any point to selecting the "upgrade fare type MVP Gold 75K" since I will still be able to select complimentary premium seats during seat selection? Is the ticket booked under Main Cabin vs Premium Class upgrade (even though it's the same price) somehow different? Just wondering if something happens on the back end that helps/hurts further upgrade chances. Thanks!
well, When you choose that fare and IF ​​​​​​​the ​​​​​​​U icon is Blue ​​​​​​​than you will be upgraded into first class immediately while booking the ticket. For that reason, If the additional monies are worth it to you than I would say ​​​​​​​yes there is quite a reason to. Also, Being in the higher fare bucket would put you in position to call in and upgrade instantly if U space were to open up (even if it weren’t open during booking) which is indicated by a white U

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I just saw the AS offer: points transferred from Elites incur no fee through December 28th. I will be AS MVP next year, and my wife will not have any AS status. We anticipate next year traveling together ~80% of the time (8-10 legs / year for leisure together and 2-4 legs / year for business alone). Does it make sense to transfer my 22k miles to her 44k miles under this promo, simply to pool them for a TBD leisure trip as soon as this summer?

TIA
Topping her account up to have enough for a redemption may not be a bad idea if you were targeted for the promotion. Otherwise, my opinion is that miles are best kept in status holding accounts vs non status accounts.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I have an AA partner award coming up in February with two AS segments, and I've already been upgraded on one and am waitlisted for the other. I have an AA credit card that affords me priority boarding, and I'd like to make sure there's bin space for my bag, so: can I update my FF# on AA's side and not mess with the FF# (and thus my upgrades) on the AS PNR? Crediting isn't a concern since, you know, award flights.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
I have an AA partner award coming up in February with two AS segments, and I've already been upgraded on one and am waitlisted for the other. I have an AA credit card that affords me priority boarding, and I'd like to make sure there's bin space for my bag, so: can I update my FF# on AA's side and not mess with the FF# (and thus my upgrades) on the AS PNR? Crediting isn't a concern since, you know, award flights.

What would the purpose be? Your AA credit card is linked to your Aadvantage account and all it's benefits will carry through.

James
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What would the purpose be? Your AA credit card is linked to your Aadvantage account and all it's benefits will carry through.

James
But my AAdvantage number isn't currently on the reservation--my AS number is. I'm wondering if editing it on AA's side will affect the AS reservation and nix my upgrades on the AS segments.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Just getting back on FT after 5yrs deployed (used to be, separately, a UA1k and an AS MVP75), so a lot has changed. Apologies if there are other threads I haven't found yet that talk through this in a flame-free area. Just got requal'd AS MVPG but didn't have time this year to get up to 75K. Relocated to TPA, so much of my AS flying is out of MCO. I figure that between AS and B6 I can do alright for myself domestically, but international becomes a question since the DL partnership went away (I will likely have to go AA to get any EQMs for gov't TATL/TPAC flights).

1) I want to start taking my 6y/o son and 7y/o daughter on some trips, maybe even short-turn MRs. I think it would be cool if I could have them set up with status for life when they graduate college. If you were setting a child up for a lifetime 1M+ with someone, is there a trade study matrix somewhere on the site (or, just any recommendations) on what plan to start them on? AFAIK, you have to be BIS miles for anyone's 1M lifetime programs, so are there some (BA? UA? EK? Suck it up and get AS by going to ANC and HNL a bunch?) that are better than others? I realize the foolishness of setting up a plan for something 10-15 years and 50k or so out of pocket that may change tomorrow, but I imagine that at least a couple on here have thought through it or done it and have lessons learned.

2) As I look at the MR deals page, is there a basic metric for cpEQM that's considered a "Get it now!11!" deal vs. a "good deal"? With the tendency on FT to have to pull a trigger quickly to get in on a good deal, I am trying to do the homework on when/how much/where it makes sense to close on a deal. For instance, a $6k LHR-SCL-LHR in BA F gets me about 43k EQM/ 14cpEQM (if I'm reading the Fare Class EQM correct) and 87k RDM/7 cpm on AS. I know the threshold I used to use for "good" MRs was about 4cpm in Y, but I know things have changed.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by brianfromwa
I realize the foolishness of setting up a plan for something 10-15 years and 50k or so out of pocket that may change tomorrow, but I imagine that at least a couple on here have thought through it or done it and have lessons learned.
Based on my experience with United, I'd never go out of my way to commit to a lifetime benefit that you might not see until 10+ years down the road again - assuming that benefit still exists. When I started with UA, one million flight miles on them gave you lifetime Premier Executive (now Gold) which came with 100% flight miles and 100% bonus miles. Sounded like a great deal to lock in for life until they changed Premier Executive to Gold and went to awarding miles based on ticket cost, so those 200% flight miles I expected dropped down to 8 miles per dollar spent and became pretty useless for a flyer that purchases deep discount economy tickets. AA pretty much matched UA a few years later. I also have lifetime status with them and get the same 8 miles per dollar instead of the 200% flight miles that I expected. The only real benefits I see with UA or AA these days is partner lounge access when outside of the U.S. and better seat selection. Those weren't my goals in getting lifetime status with either carrier.

I would never lock in a frequent flyer program again based on a perceived benefit that may or may not be there in 10-15 years. Fly the carrier that makes the most sense for you in terms of price, routes and current benefits (those current benefits is why I'm flying Alaska domestic), and if you make lifetime along the way fine, but don't commit to a carrier on the basis of a lifetime benefit that may no longer exist when you're ready to use it. The airlines reserve the right to change the program rules at any time and they hold all the cards.
ashill likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by brianfromwa
Just getting back on FT after 5yrs deployed (used to be, separately, a UA1k and an AS MVP75), so a lot has changed. Apologies if there are other threads I haven't found yet that talk through this in a flame-free area. Just got requal'd AS MVPG but didn't have time this year to get up to 75K. Relocated to TPA, so much of my AS flying is out of MCO. I figure that between AS and B6 I can do alright for myself domestically, but international becomes a question since the DL partnership went away (I will likely have to go AA to get any EQMs for gov't TATL/TPAC flights).
Just to be sure you understand AS's Million Mile rules, only miles earned flying AS (and Alaska-branded QX and OO flights) count towards it. EQMs earned on other AS partners such as BA count toward your annual MVPG qualification, but don't do anything for Million Mile status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.