Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by karannarang
Folks, posted the below question in the Missy thread and got a Missy answer..can anyone help a newbie get around this?

I'm new to Alaska and just matched status to MVP75K. Can someone please help me understand how many redeemable miles i would earn for the below trip if credited to AS:

EWR-LHR-EWR on BA metal, ticket bought via AAVacations. AA flight numbers operated by BA.
Actual flight miles - 6930 round trip
Booking class - I
BA Flight numbers - BA0184 & BA0189

Thanks in advance.
Be sure to keep your boarding passes! Technically, flights on partner codeshares do not accrue miles but in practice as long as operating/marketing carriers are both partners, you'll get credit eventually.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-airlines.html
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, BA, US, UA, Virgin, Alaska
Cool Bank Points to MileagePlan or through Elevate?

Question: I have two flight on VA next week ORD-SFO (Jan 9th-12th), but I'm unsure if I should use my Elevate or MileagePlan number on the flight. Standard 'M' class, but I'm unsure if it's better to route through Elevate and transfer to MileagePlan, or earn directly to MileagePlan... Anyone else considering which to earn on?

Context: I'm planning to accrue as many points as possible on Alaska MileagePlan this year, but I have >125k Elevate points. The transfer bonus of 1:1.3 will be great come next week, as I'll be able to book a few premium cabin flights to Asia I've been keeping my eye on.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jtflyer2577
Question: I have two flight on VA next week ORD-SFO (Jan 9th-12th), but I'm unsure if I should use my Elevate or MileagePlan number on the flight. Standard 'M' class, but I'm unsure if it's better to route through Elevate and transfer to MileagePlan, or earn directly to MileagePlan... Anyone else considering which to earn on?

Context: I'm planning to accrue as many points as possible on Alaska MileagePlan this year, but I have >125k Elevate points. The transfer bonus of 1:1.3 will be great come next week, as I'll be able to book a few premium cabin flights to Asia I've been keeping my eye on.
You're booked in coach, yes? If so, you should earn about 3692 Alaska miles, or more if you're in a higher Y fare bucket (or Y+ or F). If you credit to VX, you're only getting five points per dollar paid, so: 3692 AS miles is what you'd get from 2840 Elevate points, which correlates to a $568 airfare. If you paid less than that, credit to Alaska.

You might want to consider elite status qualification too, if it's attainable for you--Mileage Plan is expected to be the program that survives.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtflyer2577

When did Virgin Australia start flying ORD-SFO? I know, I know, just a mistake on OP's part. But I couldn't resist. jtflyer2577, Virgin America is VX.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Question: Do flights on VX count towards AS Elite Tier Qualification in the "Alaska Category", or the "Alaska + Partners Category"? Furthermore, how about for Million Miler qualification?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Question: Do flights on VX count towards AS Elite Tier Qualification in the "Alaska Category", or the "Alaska + Partners Category"? Furthermore, how about for Million Miler qualification?
Alaska category (20/40/75) and yes if credited to Mileage Plan.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Alaska category (20/40/75) and yes if credited to Mileage Plan.
Thank you! ^
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Who is excited to be able to transfer miles from Virgin to Alaska tomorrow? I AM !! 👍
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have discovered (?) a very frustrating AS IT glitch.

I booked a trip online XXX-SEA and SEA-XXX; each flight is on two different days. I used the option of looking for flights with MVPG GGU upgrade availability (in the hopes of finding a GGU to use). Given the fare difference, I did NOT purchase the U fare on the first flight, but DID purchase it on the second flight.

I was able to find a GGU and wanted to apply to the second flight. But the website booked it in T class (even though at the close of booking it did give me the option of applying a GGU -- but I didn't have one at the time). Now, the AS Twitter rep is saying the whole itinerary is booked in T and therefore neither segment is eligible to apply a GGU.

I've hesitated to call AS reservations this weekend knowing they were swamped with the weather-stuff in the PNW, but I'm hoping someone there will be able to dig deep enough to see that indeed segment two was booked in U, even though a GGU wasn't applied at time of booking. Otherwise, I simply wasted the $40 upcharge for booking that segment in U.

Surprised that AS' website will let you book two different fare classes for one itinerary yet cannot actually ticket such correctly.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cblaisd

I booked a trip online XXX-SEA and SEA-XXX; each flight is on two different days. I used the option of looking for flights with MVPG GGU upgrade availability (in the hopes of finding a GGU to use). Given the fare difference, I did NOT purchase the U fare on the first flight, but DID purchase it on the second flight.

I was able to find a GGU and wanted to apply to the second flight. But the website booked it in T class (even though at the close of booking it did give me the option of applying a GGU -- but I didn't have one at the time). Now, the AS Twitter rep is saying the whole itinerary is booked in T and therefore neither segment is eligible to apply a GGU.

I've hesitated to call AS reservations this weekend knowing they were swamped with the weather-stuff in the PNW, but I'm hoping someone there will be able to dig deep enough to see that indeed segment two was booked in U, even though a GGU wasn't applied at time of booking. Otherwise, I simply wasted the $40 upcharge for booking that segment in U.

Surprised that AS' website will let you book two different fare classes for one itinerary yet cannot actually ticket such correctly.

Any ideas?
I'm confused by your post. You can't book a segment in U, you book it into an upgrade eligible fare class and then apply a GGU (or miles) or get an instant upgrade based on status into U class.

To apply a GGU your fare must be K class or higher. T isn't eligible, so if your ticket is in T, you're going to have to pay more money (should be an upfare with no change fee) to get it into K.

It would help to know the city pairs you booked, and the dates, to see if someone can "recreate" the potential "glitch".

If you booked less than 24 hours ago you might want to cancel it if you are hesitant to call, unless you're potentially prepared to pay more money to get what you want.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG

Any ideas?
I'm not familiar with the peculiarities of using GGUs (MVP only...never had one), but I do know that if you book a single itinerary with different fare types on different segments, the entire itinerary will inherit the rules of the most restrictive segment. For example, say you book one segment at a low-fare non-refundable price and the next segment at a fully refundable price (because that was all that was available on that segment). If you tried to change that second segment, leaving the first one alone, you would still pay a change fee even though that segment was technically fully refundable (assuming you're not MVPG, of course).
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
...you book it into an upgrade eligible fare class and then apply a GGU (or miles)
Sorry, that's what I meant. Still learning. I booked the second segment into a GGU upgradeable fare class.

Originally Posted by czpdx
...I do know that if you book a single itinerary with different fare types on different segments, the entire itinerary will inherit the rules of the most restrictive segment. ....
Wow. Had no idea.

Not sure what to do at this point since I did pay for the GGU-upgradeable fare class for the second segment.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Sorry, that's what I meant. Still learning. I booked the second segment into a GGU upgradeable fare class.

Wow. Had no idea.

Not sure what to do at this point since I did pay for the GGU-upgradeable fare class for the second segment.
Hang up call again? You may have to upfare to a GGU upgradable fare on both legs.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:51 am

Thanks. Will try calling (haven't do so yet because I know they've been slammed).

That would be frustrating, since if I had had the GGU in hand at the time of booking it would have let me apply it to the second segment.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
I seem to recall reading that AS throws blankets away after use on flights where they're provided (i.e. redeyes in F) rather than washing them. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.