FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:24 am
PV_Premier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have discovered (?) a very frustrating AS IT glitch.

I booked a trip online XXX-SEA and SEA-XXX; each flight is on two different days. I used the option of looking for flights with MVPG GGU upgrade availability (in the hopes of finding a GGU to use). Given the fare difference, I did NOT purchase the U fare on the first flight, but DID purchase it on the second flight.

I was able to find a GGU and wanted to apply to the second flight. But the website booked it in T class (even though at the close of booking it did give me the option of applying a GGU -- but I didn't have one at the time). Now, the AS Twitter rep is saying the whole itinerary is booked in T and therefore neither segment is eligible to apply a GGU.

I've hesitated to call AS reservations this weekend knowing they were swamped with the weather-stuff in the PNW, but I'm hoping someone there will be able to dig deep enough to see that indeed segment two was booked in U, even though a GGU wasn't applied at time of booking. Otherwise, I simply wasted the $40 upcharge for booking that segment in U.

Surprised that AS' website will let you book two different fare classes for one itinerary yet cannot actually ticket such correctly.

Any ideas?
I'm confused by your post. You can't book a segment in U, you book it into an upgrade eligible fare class and then apply a GGU (or miles) or get an instant upgrade based on status into U class.

To apply a GGU your fare must be K class or higher. T isn't eligible, so if your ticket is in T, you're going to have to pay more money (should be an upfare with no change fee) to get it into K.

It would help to know the city pairs you booked, and the dates, to see if someone can "recreate" the potential "glitch".

If you booked less than 24 hours ago you might want to cancel it if you are hesitant to call, unless you're potentially prepared to pay more money to get what you want.