Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Thought I'd put this here.....

I have 150k miles with Alaska and was thinking about going to Beijing or Shanghai over New Years possibly. What would be the best way to use these for Business Class seats?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Nevsky
I did not know that. I thought you could only get credit if flying the same metal as on the ticket. How does this work?
EMail/fax in your boarding passes after flying the flight. The rules say no credit for, say, AA*/BA, but in practice everyone seems to get credit manually (according to the operating carrier's chart), but only if both the marketing and operating carriers are partners.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I did not know that. I thought you could only get credit if flying the same metal as on the ticket. How does this work?
Also, to clarify. The marketing carrier (the flight number purchased on your ticket) and the operating carrier (the metal) need to be AS partners. The ticketing carrier can be a non-AS partner (UA springs to mind as one that readily sells others' flights, even non-partners of theirs) as long as the flight is marketed and operated by AS or an AS partner.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Marketed by non-partner and operated by partner has also had at least one reports of successful crediting w/. manual request.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Also, to clarify. The marketing carrier (the flight number purchased on your ticket) and the operating carrier (the metal) need to be AS partners. The ticketing carrier can be a non-AS partner (UA springs to mind as one that readily sells others' flights, even non-partners of theirs) as long as the flight is marketed and operated by AS or an AS partner.
So to confirm as mentioned in the earlier post, if I purchase a BA marketed ticket and it is on AA metal, I would get credit? Wouldn't that have a flight number which is not on the included list of flight numbers for credit?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
So to confirm as mentioned in the earlier post, if I purchase a BA marketed ticket and it is on AA metal, I would get credit? Wouldn't that have a flight number which is not on the included list of flight numbers for credit?
Officially, anything where the marketing and operating carrier don't match don't credit to AS.

People have had success getting it to credit according to the operating carrier though (e.g. BA-marketed, AA-operated credited according to the AA-chart - if the AA flight number is on the list). But you can never 100% count on it.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:21 am

Usually you'll find that while the codeshare flight number is not within the range, the operating flight number will be(*) and when boarding passes are sent in, they'll credit as the operating carrier/flight number (disclaimer as Smiley90 notes above that this beyond AS' written policy).

(*)not strictly related to codeshares, sometimes the flight number range will be out of date when a carrier renumbers their flights and AS has denied credit until they update their ranges
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I booked an N class fare with Japan airlines from jfk to Singapore pore with a stop in Tokyo both ways. It's my first real long haul flight and I'd like to get whatever miles I can earn. I'm new to this but I was thinking miles with an American partner would be much more useful to me in the near future. Any recommendations of which program to use?
After giving a quick search, it seems American and Alaska are my best bet. I'm leaning Alaska at the moment as I was planning on opening their card and using the miles and companion fare to tour the west coast next summer, what do ya think?

Last edited by layoverdan; Jun 8, 2017 at 4:59 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by layoverdan
I booked an N class fare with Japan airlines from jfk to Singapore pore with a stop in Tokyo both ways. It's my first real long haul flight and I'd like to get whatever miles I can earn. I'm new to this but I was thinking miles with an American partner would be much more useful to me in the near future. Any recommendations of which program to use?
After giving a quick search, it seems American and Alaska are my best bet. I'm leaning Alaska at the moment as I was planning on opening their card and using the miles and companion fare to tour the west coast next summer, what do ya think?
JAL N fare earns 30% of miles flown in both Alaska and Americans programs. So that's a tie miles wise. Unless you are going to status since JAL only earns 6% EQD (in addition to miles) in the AA program and AS doesn't require a minimum $ spend, just miles. Companion fare earns in both AS and AA programs but will credit at 100% in AS vs likely 25% in AA program. Sounds like you have a good plan.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:19 am

According to http://www.wheretocredit.com/calcula...N/NRT-SIN-JL-N AA/JL/AS all credit the same number of miles.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CDKing
JAL N fare earns 30% of miles flown in both Alaska and Americans programs. So that's a tie miles wise. Unless you are going to status since JAL only earns 6% EQD (in addition to miles) in the AA program and AS doesn't require a minimum $ spend, just miles. Companion fare earns in both AS and AA programs but will credit at 100% in AS vs likely 25% in AA program. Sounds like you have a good plan.
What do you mean about the companion fare earning?

Last edited by layoverdan; Jun 8, 2017 at 6:44 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
What do you mean about the companion fare earning?
Presumably CDKing meant that many AS economy fares earn 25% miles in the AAdvantage program, whereas all earn 100% in AS Mileage Plan. The mileage earnings in both plans are unrelated to whether the AS ticket is booked using a companion fare (or any other discount code).
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:38 pm

New to MVPG. I received 4 guest upgrades. I assume that when the F in blue it means it's available. I'm looking at a flight/s from SEA to MCO. There is one that stops in SAN and then hop on next flight to MCO with about 1+ hour layover. Both flights have a BLUE F symbol. Do I have to use 1 or 2 upgrades for that flight? Is there a time limit between flights where it would drop off? Example. I fly into SAN, stay the night and take the next day SAN-MCO. would I have to use two in that instance? Anyone know where I can find specifics on that topic so I'm better informed before I book? I guess the same would go for the MCO-PDX flight and then the next morning PDX-SEA. Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by shand32783
New to MVPG. I received 4 guest upgrades. I assume that when the F in blue it means it's available. I'm looking at a flight/s from SEA to MCO. There is one that stops in SAN and then hop on next flight to MCO with about 1+ hour layover. Both flights have a BLUE F symbol. Do I have to use 1 or 2 upgrades for that flight? Is there a time limit between flights where it would drop off? Example. I fly into SAN, stay the night and take the next day SAN-MCO. would I have to use two in that instance? Anyone know where I can find specifics on that topic so I'm better informed before I book? I guess the same would go for the MCO-PDX flight and then the next morning PDX-SEA. Thanks for your input.
Yes! Blue box with white F is available for Gold Guest Upgrade (GGU) usage. As long as the layover is 4 hours or less, you only need a single GGU. Just make sure there's blue boxes with white F's next to both flights as you've already done.^

Alaska's GGU page has the usage rules at the bottom here. Note that the page needs to be updated; it talks about a black U icon which was how availability used to be displayed.

Welcome to Gold!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
I'm coming up on what I'd like to be an AS/BA multi-segment reward ticket, and depending on how availability for the AS part of it goes, I might be 2K short of the needed miles. It usually prices lower (have been watching for a while, so I'm not eager to just buy the miles this far in advance, but I'd like to know my options around buying miles.

From the AS site it looks like they've outsourced their miles purchases to points.com. Does anyone know how fast the miles show up in your account? And how reliably? I'd hate to see availability come up, decide the buy the miles, and then wait around and watch the seats disappear while points.com dithers for a week.

I imagine I'll get some responses that instead I should do such-and-such a way to get 2K miles, I'm interested in those for sure, especially if they work fairly quickly, but I also hope someone knows the answer to this. Many thanks,

FTF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.