Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by CDKing
AS agents cannot see anything that is not on the AS website for Qantas. QF site will show seats that are only available to QF members. How far in advance are you looking? Awards on QF are not being made available to AS at 330 days, its a much smaller booking window for QF TPAC. Mid-June is currently the latest right now on AS site for QF. I know it was worse not too long ago.
My suspicion is that AS is limiting the space, not QF. When space is available to other partners but not AS I get suspicious. And, no one at AS wants to talk about it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
QF site will show seats that are only available to QF members.
This is clearly irrelevant to all the seats also shown on the BA web site.

How far in advance are you looking? Awards on QF are not being made available to AS at 330 days, its a much smaller booking window for QF TPAC. Mid-June is currently the latest right now on AS site for QF. I know it was worse not too long ago.
I was looking at July. Looking at June, I see only economy anyhow. Nothing useful.

What it looks like Alaska is doing is deliberately waiting until all premium cabin seats are gone before letting Qantas flights appear at all.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
My suspicion is that AS is limiting the space, not QF. When space is available to other partners but not AS I get suspicious. And, no one at AS wants to talk about it.
What they are doing is basically fraud, so of course they don't want to talk about it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
What they are doing is basically fraud, so of course they don't want to talk about it.
AS is not part of OW, so it is not axiomatic that they would have access to the same QF (or CX or JL etc..) availability as QF or her OW partners do. The space would be determined by 1:1 agreements between AS and each respective partner. I understand the frustration, but assuming fraud, even with the 'basically' modifier attached to it, is IMHO a huge stretch
Flying for Fun and pbelmore like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
AS is not part of OW, so it is not axiomatic that they would have access to the same QF (or CX or JL etc..) availability as QF or her OW partners do.
Not axiomatic, but it is certainly the norm for partners to have the same access as each other. (It is certainly not uncommon for airlines to hold back some availability for their own members and not offer it to any partners though.) When AS reduced CX availability, that was bad enough, but, at least initially, AS appeared to have at least N-2 premium class CX seats, where N was the number other partners had. Pretty bad, but at least some options existed for us. Now, it looks like other partners have dozens of business class seats on QF flights and AS has zero. (I've not checked every day, so feel free to let me know if there's a single exception.) That's not just "not the same". It's nothing.

When I fly AS, or an AS partner, I credit the miles to AS. Why? Because AS has a lower award cost. If, when it comes time to redeem, there is zero availability for AS members on the desired airline, but there is availability for other partners of that same airline, I don't think what I called it is a stretch at all. They are obtaining our business by deception.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Not axiomatic, but it is certainly the norm for partners to have the same access as each other. (It is certainly not uncommon for airlines to hold back some availability for their own members and not offer it to any partners though.) When AS reduced CX availability, that was bad enough, but, at least initially, AS appeared to have at least N-2 premium class CX seats, where N was the number other partners had. Pretty bad, but at least some options existed for us. Now, it looks like other partners have dozens of business class seats on QF flights and AS has zero. (I've not checked every day, so feel free to let me know if there's a single exception.) That's not just "not the same". It's nothing.

When I fly AS, or an AS partner, I credit the miles to AS. Why? Because AS has a lower award cost. If, when it comes time to redeem, there is zero availability for AS members on the desired airline, but there is availability for other partners of that same airline, I don't think what I called it is a stretch at all. They are obtaining our business by deception.
How is it deception when the Mileage Plan T&C's specifically state?

Redeeming miles for flights.

Award travel space is limited and subject to certain restrictions including blackout dates and other capacity controls. Alaska Airlines cannot ensure availability of award seats on any flight, route, or date.

You certainly may credit your miles to QF or another Alaska Partner in the One World Alliance if availability is better for your preferred carrier. Yes, AS requires fewer miles for an award, no AS is not being deceptive to gain your business.

There are all kinds of options on QF for Economy & Premium Economy, PE & Australian domestic J. There may not be a Full J or F but Alaska never guaranteed there would be.

James
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
*Bump*

Trying to redeem for a "one-way" award for DFW-AKL-ADL with an 8 day stop in AKL. No issues finding award space and the flight schedule for the DFW-AKL part (via SYD) is fine for me.

For the AKL-ADL leg the AS site is forcing a 6.5hr layover in BNE, however there is availability for AKL-SYD and SYD-ADL that would only be a 2hr layover. I can get the site to book those two flights separately (AKL-SYD as the connection from DFW-AKL, and SYD-ADL as a standalone booking) but cannot get it to link them together with the first leg from DFW. It would be an additional 12.5k(Y)-20k(F) miles to book SYD-ADL separate...in which case I would just buy a ticket.

Should I call the partner desk to push thru the AKL-SYD-ADL flights? Or am I SOL?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asu-ua772
Trying to redeem for a "one-way" award for DFW-AKL-ADL with an 8 day stop in AKL. No issues finding award space and the flight schedule for the DFW-AKL part (via SYD) is fine for me.

For the AKL-ADL leg the AS site is forcing a 6.5hr layover in BNE, however there is availability for AKL-SYD and SYD-ADL that would only be a 2hr layover. I can get the site to book those two flights separately (AKL-SYD as the connection from DFW-AKL, and SYD-ADL as a standalone booking) but cannot get it to link them together with the first leg from DFW. It would be an additional 12.5k(Y)-20k(F) miles to book SYD-ADL separate...in which case I would just buy a ticket.

Should I call the partner desk to push thru the AKL-SYD-ADL flights? Or am I SOL?
So looking for DFW-SYD-AKL, AKL-XXX-ADL.
What class? No F trans Tasman or Au domestic. Business is as good as it gets.
SYD ADL as cash ticket will not be that much. (QF or VA)
Does AKL-MEL-ADL show up? Air Sydney (aka Qantas) usually steers you through SYD.
As a test does AKL-SYD-ADL show if it was a cash booking?

AKL-SYD and then SYD-ADL with 2:00hrs in separate tickets would be very high risk. 3:00hr is often recommended, but can depend on the arrival time at SYD.
Have you been to SYD before and done the dreaded international domestic transfer? I happily spend good money to avoid that.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Yeah, I meant Biz instead of F. Fat finger error there.

For the AKL-ADL leg, the only option that shows up on the AS site for my date range is AKL-BNE-ADL. AKL-ADL with MEL or SYD connections don't show up on AS site but if I want to pay cash thru Qantas they both come up as options. I've done the SYD int'l/dom transfer and it sucks (I'm not a big fan of the BNE int'l/dom transfer either, but beggars can't be choosers). But whatever gets me out of a 6.5hr layover is what I'm aiming for...whether it be via SYD or MEL.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, wait, you are routing DFW-SYD-AKL-SYD-ADL? I suspect your problem is trying to transit SYD twice. Seems to be pretty obvious backtracking.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Totally random. I was able to book SYD DFW in F for 70K. Not only that but my friend who flys for QF is working the fight. Talk about luck.

Suck it Cathay!
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mach92
Totally random. I was able to book SYD DFW in F for 70K. Not only that but my friend who flys for QF is working the fight. Talk about luck.

Suck it Cathay!
A few days for May 2019 had 2 F awards available on a few flights. I saw at least 1 F seat on DFW/LAX-SYD and LAX-MEL on the same day
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
A few days for May 2019 had 2 F awards available on a few flights. I saw at least 1 F seat on DFW/LAX-SYD and LAX-MEL on the same day
It's impressive, but this can happen ^
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi all

What's the current scoop on booking QF awards through AS? I can see a couple days where QF F is showing available on AS's booking engine. This is mirrored on QF's booking tool. JL's award tool however says 'cabin not available'. I will need to buy some miles to make the purchase so was just wondering if there is astill a problem with phantom availability or the booking being able to be concluded? (I don't have an immediate use for the miles other than this redemption.)

Thanks in adavnce. LME etc
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi all

What's the current scoop on booking QF awards through AS? I can see a couple days where QF F is showing available on AS's booking engine. This is mirrored on QF's booking tool. JL's award tool however says 'cabin not available'. I will need to buy some miles to make the purchase so was just wondering if there is astill a problem with phantom availability or the booking being able to be concluded? (I don't have an immediate use for the miles other than this redemption.)

Thanks in adavnce. LME etc
Try checking other partners. Does it show on BA and CX? If so it should be available if it shows on AS.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Try checking other partners. Does it show on BA and CX? If so it should be available if it shows on AS.
Thanks ^

So the results are: QF and AS show available. CX, BA and JL all say 'no availability'.

Assume it's phantom then? Is it worth calling AS to see if they can actually book it or is that a lost cause?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.