Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Just wondering did you have to book these F awards, one by one? I'm only finding one J space at a time on AS, and since 2 of us are travelling there is risk in booking only one award at a time, just in case the second J award doesn't appear. Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:08 pm

I booked a singleton, and then found a doubleton. It seems to be about even odds when I was seeing 1 or 2...My feeling is that if you can stand the risk of it, you should book them one at time, but maybe someone more experienced than me could comment.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ellice
Just wondering did you have to book these F awards, one by one? I'm only finding one J space at a time on AS, and since 2 of us are travelling there is risk in booking only one award at a time, just in case the second J award doesn't appear. Thanks
We booked two at a time, although it took a months of AA holds before AS could actually see both seats. Unfortunately, AS does not always get the full partner inventory.

Originally Posted by ecdysiast
I booked a singleton, and then found a doubleton. It seems to be about even odds when I was seeing 1 or 2...My feeling is that if you can stand the risk of it, you should book them one at time, but maybe someone more experienced than me could comment.
Worth a shot. The works well with CX which doesn't release more than 1 F seat until you are inside 10-14 days.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:45 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is it possible to book free stopover on Qantas domestic? I tried syd-bne-perth but nothing showing
Old May 1, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by p78
Is it possible to book free stopover on Qantas domestic? I tried syd-bne-perth but nothing showing
Stop-over on a regional award is limited to AS metal only. The only recent exceptions is JL on Asia > Asia award which allows stopover in Tokyo and now AY which allows stopover in HEL on Europe to Europe.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I am seeing one QF J SFO-MEL on the 789 on July 7th is anybody is interested. You can do a stopover in MEL and/or connect onwards within Australia or to NZ. 55k.

There is also PE available on July 4th.

James
Old May 17, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am seeing one QF J SFO-MEL on the 789 on July 7th is anybody is interested. You can do a stopover in MEL and/or connect onwards within Australia or to NZ. 55k.

There is also PE available on July 4th.

James
Also one QF J SFO-MEL 6/1, 7/21, 8/31, 12/1, 2/5
QF 2J SFO-MEL 8/18.

QF 1J LAX-MEL 6/1
QF 4F LAX-MEL 6/1

QF 1J SFO-SYD 6/30, 11/28, 12/8
QF 2J SFO-SYD 9/2

QF 1J DFW-SYD 11/24
QF 1F DFW-SYD 6/17

QF 1J YVR-SYD 12/12, 12/14, 12/19, 12/21, 12/23, 12/26, 12/28, 12/30
QF 2J YVR-SYD 12/16

Last edited by skimthetrees; May 18, 2019 at 1:03 am
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Tonight I snagged a business class seat on SFO-SYD with Qantas on the 787. Travel March 8th.
55k miles and $40 in fees. Incredible.

Booked it online in 90 seconds or so, utterly painless.
(wish all the partners were like this!!)
Going to try to do some HKG-SEA-PDX to get home.

But seriously, with how easy it is to earn 55,000 AS miles? Qantas + Cathay Business for 50k...
People say the game is dead - I totally disagree - these are the halcyon days people will talk about years from now.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Tonight I snagged a business class seat on SFO-SYD with Qantas on the 787. Travel March 8th.
55k miles and $40 in fees. Incredible.

Booked it online in 90 seconds or so, utterly painless.
(wish all the partners were like this!!)
Going to try to do some HKG-SEA-PDX to get home.

But seriously, with how easy it is to earn 55,000 AS miles? Qantas + Cathay Business for 50k...
People say the game is dead - I totally disagree - these are the halcyon days people will talk about years from now.
I have seen an unusual amount of J space on QF from Australia. Last week I booked PER-MEL-LAX-SEA-YLW in J and AS F in late October for 55K. I had a choice to route from PER through BNE, MEL or SYD. I chose MEL for the A330 lie-flat and better connection time.

James

PS QF is phasing out all their 747s by 2020.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have seen an unusual amount of J space on QF from Australia. Last week I booked PER-MEL-LAX-SEA-YLW in J and AS F in late October for 55K. I had a choice to route from PER through BNE, MEL or SYD. I chose MEL for the A330 lie-flat and better connection time.

James

You chose the A330 for lie flat 1st? What would you choose for business the 787?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobikosan

James

You chose the A330 for lie flat 1st? What would you choose for business the 787?
QF A330's do not have first class. (PER-MEL/SYD/BNE)
No first class on any QF Au domestic route. First class only on some QF international routes, but not all.
tobikosan and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF A330's do not have first class. (PER-MEL/SYD/BNE)
No first class on any QF Au domestic route. First class only on some QF international routes, but not all.
I chose the A330 for business class domestically. Much better than a 737 recliner.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:53 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Yesterday I found a flight in November, SFO-SYD-PER in J on QF. I Could see the flights available on AA and Al. I could not see the flights on BA, JL, or QF. I tried too book the award ticket on AA first, no go. I next tried AL and Bingo. This certainly seems to be the reverse of what has been happening. Anyone else had this experience or have any insight?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ned
Yesterday I found a flight in November, SFO-SYD-PER in J on QF. I Could see the flights available on AA and Al. I could not see the flights on BA, JL, or QF. I tried too book the award ticket on AA first, no go. I next tried AL and Bingo. This certainly seems to be the reverse of what has been happening. Anyone else had this experience or have any insight?
Same here But I need to use QF points to make a booking. The flight (SFO-SYD) shows on AA and AS, not on QF or JL. AA returns an error when you try to book it. But you're saying AS will allow you to go ahead? Maybe I should call QF to see if they can also see it.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:54 pm

James

I found 3 on both flights in J LAX> BNE March 2020. 3!!! Multiple dates available in early to mid March with 2 or 3. I've been lucky in years past getting one or two but I think this is the first time I've seen 3. It's on the 787 so has the new biz seats. Go get them if your'e looking.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by jonnyz1245; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.