Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Successfully ticketed J class MEL - BNE - LAX on the 7 August and back in J on the same routing on the 17th. Having historically seen literally no availability for months on end at times on all QF TPAC sectors in either direction with AS, it was hard to believe my eyes scoring a return itinerary I actually wanted and on the 787 to boot. Especially with QF increasing points needed to fly J class on their own metal later this year, the timing may be perfect.

I also noted SFO - MEL in J on the 787 on 11 August, if anyone else is interested.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Does anyone know if this routing on QF is legal before I call in: SYD-DFW / DAL-SFO / OAK-KOA. I already have an F ticket booked through SFO, but want to add a stopover and the KOA flight.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Does anyone know if this routing on QF is legal before I call in: SYD-DFW / DAL-SFO / OAK-KOA. I already have an F ticket booked through SFO, but want to add a stopover and the KOA flight.
Were you able to book the SYD-DFW, DAL-SFO online on your own? I don't have direct experience with a similar itinerary but a double open jaw might be a challenge. However, DFW & DAL are coterminals as are SFO & OAK so I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I anticipate that you are not stopping over between DFW/DAL as that would prevent a second stopover in the Bay Area. I don't think it would be possible to change your itinerary online as you are trying to add another segment. The time I changed the last leg of my itinerary online. I changed JFK-LAX to JFK-LAX-PVR adding a 2 month stopover at the JFK gateway from JL F. There was no ability to add LAX-PVR with an LAX stopover online.

I don't like to call in on these type of changes if possible. In your case, I would call and see if they can do that for you. If OAK is a no-go, I would try SFO or SJC. Of course you will need to find a flight with A space if you want to fly first. A change fee would also be charged if you don't have a waiver.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 27, 2019 at 5:41 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Were you able to book the SYD-DFW, DAL-SFO online on your own? I don't have direct experience with a similar itinerary but a double open jaw might be a challenge. However, DFW & DAL are coterminals as are SFO & OAK so I wouldn't rule out the possibility. I anticipate that you are not stopping over between DFW/DAL as that would prevent a second stopover in the Bay Area. I don't think it would be possible to change your itinerary online as you are trying to add another segment. The time I changed the last leg of my itinerary online. I changed JFK-LAX to JFK-LAX-PVR adding a 2 month stopover at the JFK gateway from JL F. There was no ability to add LAX-PVR with an LAX stopover online.

I don't like to call in on these type of changes if possible. In your case, I would call and see if they can do that for you. If OAK is a no-go, I would try SFO or SJC. Of course you will need to find a flight with A space if you want to fly first. A change fee would also be charged if you don't have a waiver.

James
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, I booked SYD-DFW / DAL-SFO on my own through the website. I did see that the website allows a SYD-DFW-SEA-KOA booking, so I think this should be possible, but there is no way to book two co-terminal connections on the website. And, as you've mentioned, its not possible to add a segment either. I'll report back if I decide to book.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:16 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Booked my first Qantas F flight out of LAX. Saw that Qantas operates JFK to LAX flight as well. Can AS book that flight? (Obviously in conjunction with an AUS bound flight?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Booked my first Qantas F flight out of LAX. Saw that Qantas operates JFK to LAX flight as well. Can AS book that flight? (Obviously in conjunction with an AUS bound flight?
That flight QF12JFK LAX does not have first class, even though follow on QF12 LAX SYD does. The JFK flight uses the B787 aircraft that comes in from BNE. The QF JFK LAX can only be booked in conjunction with a QF flight to Aust. But do not know if the AS award rules allow that.

From 2018 --> https://onemileatatime.com/qantas-fined-jfk-lax/
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:33 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That flight QF12JFK LAX does not have first class, even though follow on QF12 LAX SYD does. The JFK flight uses the B787 aircraft that comes in from BNE. The QF JFK LAX can only be booked in conjunction with a QF flight to Aust. But do not know if the AS award rules allow that.

From 2018 --> https://onemileatatime.com/qantas-fined-jfk-lax/
I am booked on the LAX to Melbourne flight, and Qantas sells the JFK-LAX-MEL flight. Was just curious if AS rules allow it, or they would even see it.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
I have seen JFK/LAX offered as part of a JFK/Australia award using AS miles, though I have never booked it. The problem you will likely have is getting J on that sector (assuming you are flying J or F out of LAX). Most times it was offering PE.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:44 am

Does anyone know can i get a reward ticket for someone else on qantas? First time planning to use qantas for AA flight. Since Qantas is a transfer for Amex now i dont want to transfer for nothing. Thanks for the answer.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nobles1
Does anyone know can i get a reward ticket for someone else on qantas? First time planning to use qantas for AA flight. Since Qantas is a transfer for Amex now i dont want to transfer for nothing. Thanks for the answer.
You will want to check with Qantas, whether you mean Alaska (AS) or American (AA) operated, the rules and award chart of the Qantas program apply as that is the "currency" you are using.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nobles1
Does anyone know can I get a reward ticket for someone else on Qantas? First time planning to use Qantas for AA flight. Since Qantas is a transfer for Amex now I don't want to transfer for nothing. Thanks for the answer.
So you want to transfer Amex points to the Qantas freq flyer program? Are you a member of the QF ffp now?
And then wanting to use your (new) Qantas ff points(miles) for an award flight on AA for someone else? With QF you can do that,subject to the rules. Note you cannot sell/barter awards or receive payment from the other person.
To use QF points for an AA flight there needs to be an AA saver award (not AAnytime). It is becoming harder to get awards on AA. On what route are you/friend/family wanting an award?

Have requested the moderator move these 3 posts over to the QF forum as your questions seem to concern QF ffp and not the AS ffp
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:17 am

I'd like to book an award ticket on Qantas from South-East Asia (preferably SIN) to either MEL or SYD in second half of August 2019. However I can't find any availability on Alaska website. Does the availability of award space is so limited, that I can't pull any dates or should I use other website to check the award space?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:22 am

Alaska doesn't allow QF bookings that don't touch the USA
​. For that route you would need to use CX via HKG
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Poolek
I'd like to book an award ticket on Qantas from South-East Asia (preferably SIN) to either MEL or SYD in second half of August 2019. However I can't find any availability on Alaska website. Does the availability of award space is so limited, that I can't pull any dates or should I use other website to check the award space?
QF awards are to/from North America & Australia or solely within Australia.

For valid routings for each partner airline click here.

James
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Alaska doesn't allow QF bookings that don't touch the USA
​. For that route you would need to use CX via HKG
Except for Australia to Australia!

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.