Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone: Happy New Year.

I'm starting this thread in the hopes it will help many of us with AS awards redemptions on QF.

My questions are as follows:

Overall, I understand that to obtain 2 QF First or Bus is unusual but what about if one was scooped early/331 days in advance - what luck has been had at another on the same route popping up later in the year?

I have noticed Premium Economy availability pop up over the last while on the LAX-MEL-SYD route for 2 for various dates in 2017 (I've been monitoring since around September). Anyone have any insight if non-stops come up for 2 or is it a case of "lucky if even 1 pops up"? Perhaps it's been unusual that I spotted 2 Premium Economy availability?

To keep options only, I am willing to go from DFW or LAX to Syd. Is there any other route I should consider? I could connect from YYJ YVR or SEA.

Thanks rustykettle for suggesting the title of the thread
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I managed to snag two seats in biz from SFO-SYD for this July. Initially, I found only one seat available for the whole month of July on this route and booked it in early Dec. Then, a seat opened up on the same route departing on the day before. I booked that for my partner. Then, a second seat opened up on my flight date, so I switched him to my flight. I feel very lucky. Maybe the moral to the story is to book it if you see it. You can always cancel for free more than 60 days out.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Have people had problems with QF phantom availability? I was just trying to book two J seats from west coast to SYD and on to CHC, but space failed to confirm. EF agrees and says "NO" availability on either flight.

Is QF phantom space common? It's really frustrating to go through the whole searching process only for it to bomb on the payment screen.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Have people had problems with QF phantom availability?
I've often found phantom available on AA's site for QF but never on AS' site. Booked 4 QF reservations I think?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
I've often found phantom available on AA's site for QF but never on AS' site. Booked 4 QF reservations I think?
interesting. i am definitely finding several days of phantom space on the route i am looking at, at least if expert flyer is to be believed. i also cannot confirm the space when trying to book for either 1 or 2 passengers despite AS.com showing available. quite frustrating.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
interesting. i am definitely finding several days of phantom space on the route i am looking at, at least if expert flyer is to be believed. i also cannot confirm the space when trying to book for either 1 or 2 passengers despite AS.com showing available. quite frustrating.
I'm having a related issue that is slightly different. Basically AS isn't able to book Qantas availability I'm finding, but it doesn't seem to be phantom availability since I'm seeing it on ExpertFlyer and BA.com (but it's not showing on AA.com). Been unable to book for the last couple of days. AS could also not complete the booking over the phone and I tried multiple days that show availability.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I found one fc seat for late July from SYD to LAX. It errored out when I tried to book it myself, so I called in. It also errored out for the agent. After a long hold it was explained to me that it was placed in some sort of queue for Qantas to review and that the reservation would take two days to become confirmed.

Sure enough, two days later, it became confirmed on the Alaska app, and as an unexpected bonus, the connecting segment from AKL to SYD was upgraded from economy to business (despite only showing economy availability two days before).

I have no idea if any of the above is typical when booking Qantas seats but thought the data point might be useful.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Award availability is significantly better now that AA devaluation awards are complete. Still not much but can usually find one seat. Booked a placeholder reservation that fit my schedule perfectly.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Booked one F award on DFW-SYD. Same problem, the space is there, but online booking won't confirm. Phoned in and got ticketed in 5 minutes... Apparently IT link down.

On the up side F awards do still exist!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:02 pm

Did you have to transfer to the partner booking desk? I've tried booking over the phone and they saw the same error I did, and was told there was nothing they could do.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Sc4Freak
Did you have to transfer to the partner booking desk? I've tried booking over the phone and they saw the same error I did, and was told there was nothing they could do.
HUCA. Transfer is not needed but agent needs to know how to use the "direct" system, rather than the web interface. My agent had reported the issue to IT. It really is that the website is not functioning properly
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
HUCA. Transfer is not needed but agent needs to know how to use the "direct" system, rather than the web interface. My agent had reported the issue to IT. It really is that the website is not functioning properly
Thank you! Agent I called last night first tried the normal way even though I explained the issue about it working and then she tried the other way and was able to get it booked!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:24 pm

+1 thanks hansyuwiwb! I asked them to go through the "direct" booking system and it went through.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS
Awards showed up this morning on AS site.
Was able to book 2 seats SEA-SYD for next February.
Went right through, did not need to call agent.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Anybody have new advice on how to score a Qantas redemption in J/F? They are so sporadic I can't seem to find any method to the madness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.