Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If you want to stop in Tokyo. Book the 6/26 LAX-TYO (via LAX-KIX-NRT). Call in immediately after booking (within 24 hours for a free change) and tell them you want to add TYO-SIN a couple of days later. They should have no problem doing it and there should be no change fee but 5k extra miles to go to SIN plus maybe some extra taxes. Call back to try a different agent if the first won't do it. If you cannot find an agent to do it then cancel for free within 24 hours (although I don't know if you get the partner booking fee back).
Thanks! I have just done this.

I called in to add 30th June to SIN and she said there’s no availability for that date. Website is showing 2 flights are available on 30th with seats available. So weird. I’ll call again in a bit.

Called again, before asking her to add the TYO-SIN leg I asked if there’s availability for 30th. She said yes. I then told her I would like her help to add that to my booking. Came back after a while and said she’s not seeing any availability now and can’t add it. I asked what about 29th, she said nothing either. Said this could be because the systems take a while to reflect etc.

Could this be because they’re trying to change my booking to a multi city one, which of course diddnt appear for me when I searched it?

How should I go from here?

Last edited by makrxx; May 21, 2019 at 1:39 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by makrxx

Thanks! I have just done this.

I called in to add 30th June to SIN and she said there’s no availability for that date. Website is showing 2 flights are available on 30th with seats available. So weird. I’ll call again in a bit.

Called again, before asking her to add the TYO-SIN leg I asked if there’s availability for 30th. She said yes. I then told her I would like her help to add that to my booking. Came back after a while and said she’s not seeing any availability now and can’t add it. I asked what about 29th, she said nothing either. Said this could be because the systems take a while to reflect etc.

Could this be because they’re trying to change my booking to a multi city one, which of course diddnt appear for me when I searched it?

How should I go from here?

You see the space on BA/QF/AS for TYO-SIN, right? Call in. Do not mention your existing booking (LAX-TYO?). Ask if they see space TYO-SIN on the 29th (or 30th if you prefer). They will see it if it is on the website (but make sure to confirm it is available on BA or QF too). After you confirm they see it ask them to add it to your existing trip. Now they will have a problem with their automated system. If they do not offer you will have to request they use the manual booking (AKA direct access). If they claim they are not allowed to do it ask for a supervisor to explain the situation. You have the flight to TYO. They have confirmed there is space TYO-SIN so if their automated booking system cannot handle it they need to use the manual booking process. They can do this. Agents do not like to do it because they must get supervisor approval to do it but you have the reason why it is necessary (The space is available and their automated system cannot handle it). You might have to push them to get it done and it might take a callback but it should be possible. If they try to claim that the TYO-SIN space must be phantom (they are wrong if BA/QF sees it too) then to prove them wrong tell them they should make a separate booking for you TYO-SIN by itself as a test and if it books it oviously was not phantom and their systems have a problem (but once it does book then they will have to cancel it, refund your fees and fix your original reservation manually like they should have done to begin with which will be a pain but if that is the only way to get them to acknowledge their error then so be it). You could even book TYO-SIN by itself while they are on the phone with you to prove it can be done separately but don't do it unless they agree to cancel and refund everything if it succeeds (which it will if BA/QF and AS all show space), including the partner booking fee which they do not normally refund, but if they make you prove them wrong they are going to have to eat some crow and refund it.

If they really cannot get it done then you might have to cancel the whole booking within the first 24 hours to get a refund (without a fee the first 24 hours) but this is definitely possible for them to do using the manual (direct access) system. I have done it before. It sometimes takes a lot of explaining and proof (that their automated system cannot handle it even though the space is really there and bookable) but they can do it if you convince them that they need to use the manual (direct access) system.

Last edited by skimthetrees; May 21, 2019 at 2:31 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: krisflyer
You see the space on BA/QF/AS for TYO-SIN, right? Call in. Do not mention your existing booking (LAX-TYO?). Ask if they see space TYO-SIN on the 29th (or 30th if you prefer). They will see it if it is on the website (but make sure to confirm it is available on BA or QF too). After you confirm they see it ask them to add it to your existing trip. Now they will have a problem with their automated system. If they do not offer you will have to request they use the manual booking (AKA direct access). If they claim they are not allowed to do it ask for a supervisor to explain the situation. You have the flight to TYO. They have confirmed there is space TYO-SIN so if their automated booking system cannot handle it they need to use the manual booking process. They can do this. Agents do not like to do it because they must get supervisor approval to do it but you have the reason why it is necessary (The space is available and their automated system cannot handle it). You might have to push them to get it done and it might take a callback but it should be possible. If they try to claim that the TYO-SIN space must be phantom (they are wrong if BA/QF sees it too) then to prove them wrong tell them they should make a separate booking for you TYO-SIN by itself as a test and if it books it oviously was not phantom and their systems have a problem (but once it does book then they will have to cancel it, refund your fees and fix your original reservation manually like they should have done to begin with which will be a pain but if that is the only way to get them to acknowledge their error then so be it). You could even book TYO-SIN by itself while they are on the phone with you to prove it can be done separately but don't do it unless they agree to cancel and refund everything if it succeeds (which it will if BA/QF and AS all show space), including the partner booking fee which they do not normally refund, but if they make you prove them wrong they are going to have to eat some crow and refund it.

If they really cannot get it done then you might have to cancel the whole booking within the first 24 hours to get a refund (without a fee the first 24 hours) but this is definitely possible for them to do using the manual (direct access) system. I have done it before. It sometimes takes a lot of explaining and proof (that their automated system cannot handle it even though the space is really there and bookable) but they can do it if you convince them that they need to use the manual (direct access) system.
I did not even have to ask her to do the manual booking route, she took quite a long time but managed to sort it out. Looking forward to my first JAL flight and exploring the OW lounges at LAX/HND.

Thank you so much for your help!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:45 am

I did not even have to ask her to do the manual booking route, she took quite a long time but managed to sort it out. Looking forward to my first JAL flight and exploring the OW lounges at LAX/HND.

Likewise, having a confirmed reservation first and adding a segment later via the phone worked like a charm for me.

Thanks for everyone on this thread!
Old May 28, 2019, 1:39 am

Hi, I'm looking for HND/NRT to BKK in J at the end of October, but on the site they only show availability for cabin, and N/A for First Class. Why is not business class showing? Has anyone been successful in booking one TYO-BKK J ticket?
Old May 28, 2019, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by ftakak
Hi, I'm looking for HND/NRT to BKK in J at the end of October, but on the site they only show availability for cabin, and N/A for First Class. Why is not business class showing? Has anyone been successful in booking one TYO-BKK J ticket?
It is no problem booking a ticket so long there is award availability. Looking at the calendar search I see J availability on 10/20 and 10/21. Availability varies. If you want to travel on a day with no current availability you might find something open up later if you keep checking.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:51 am

It is no problem booking a ticket so long there is award availability. Looking at the calendar search I see J availability on 10/20 and 10/21. Availability varies. If you want to travel on a day with no current availability you might find something open up later if you keep checking.
Thanks a lot. I forgot to use the calendar function to check. It did show on 10/20, 21 and 11/8, 9. Sadly very limited.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Via JALPak in the JAL forum, domestic JL flights, both award and revenue, will be available 330 days out as of Sep 10.

Original post
JAL to accept domestic bookings 330 in advance from Sep 10 2019
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:21 am

Apologies if the answer to this is easily findable - I've had a tough time finding the answer searching. I'm looking for availability in J from NRT-SEA on Sept 7, which shows up as available on the Qantas search tool. However, using Alaska's site, nothing. Even worse, when calling, phone agent says the flight (JL68) doesn't even exist in the system. Anyone have insight?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by SirMeowly
Apologies if the answer to this is easily findable - I've had a tough time finding the answer searching. I'm looking for availability in J from NRT-SEA on Sept 7, which shows up as available on the Qantas search tool. However, using Alaska's site, nothing. Even worse, when calling, phone agent says the flight (JL68) doesn't even exist in the system. Anyone have insight?
It's not showing available on either QF or BA. Maybe you got the seats?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
It's not showing available on either QF or BA. Maybe you got the seats?
Didn't get them, but I'm seeing it on QF still, but not BA. Which makes me think that I just am terrible at using the QF tool and am missing something really obvious.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The 7th does show up on JAL, so I guess it is a matter of AS not having access to the full inventory.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SirMeowly
Didn't get them, but I'm seeing it on QF still, but not BA. Which makes me think that I just am terrible at using the QF tool and am missing something really obvious.
AS IT kind of sucks. Book TPE-SEA on Sept. 7th which AS finds just fine and includes JL68. Call back within 24 hours for a free change to drop the TPE-NRT segment and you are left with just JL68 -- BOOM!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:35 pm

AS IT kind of sucks. Book TPE-SEA on Sept. 7th which AS finds just fine and includes JL68. Call back within 24 hours for a free change to drop the TPE-NRT segment and you are left with just JL68 -- BOOM!
Thank you! This should do the trick. I'll give it a try.

Edit: worked well. Thanks y'all.

Last edited by SirMeowly; Jun 9, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

The OW LAX lounge is nothing to write home about! In fact the *A LAX lounge is far more superior in every aspect!

Grub at OneWorld Lounge LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.