Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
June 25/26 are midweek so I would expect there to be some openings there before the flights. I would want to have the miles available to pull the trigger when the space opens but if the miles are useless to you if you cannot use them for this trip you probably should wait. I think AS miles purchases process within a few minutes. May be different for a first time purchaser. You might try purchasing a minimum allotment of miles (1000?) to see how fast the purchase processes to give you an idea of how long it takes.

I am not clear on your last question. You are only traveling to TYO, correct? What does SIN have to do with it? LAX-SIN may not show because the search engine can have trouble with overnight connections. If you are looking for an overnight connection that is not showing you can try plugging the two segments into the multi-city search.
I actually had my transaction for the miles go through, then 24 hours later a rejection came through. Not sure why, will give them a call tomorrow.

Actually please ignore my question before. Sorry I wasn’t too clear. My end destination is SIN, and I’m looking to stopover in TYO for 2 nights before that. TYO - SIN is ok in terms of availability. So just needing to sort out the leg from SEA/SFO/LAX to TYO.

Should I only be checking AS website so very frequently for availability? Will any other websites help?
Old May 12, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makrxx

I actually had my transaction for the miles go through, then 24 hours later a rejection came through. Not sure why, will give them a call tomorrow.

Actually please ignore my question before. Sorry I wasn’t too clear. My end destination is SIN, and I’m looking to stopover in TYO for 2 nights before that. TYO - SIN is ok in terms of availability. So just needing to sort out the leg from SEA/SFO/LAX to TYO.

Should I only be checking AS website so very frequently for availability? Will any other websites help?
If you are willing to take the scenic route you can book this now.

June 23, SFO-ORD-NRT (AS 1206 in first, JL 9 in business) You also have a 12 hr (midnight-noon) layover in Chicago. Not an ideal routing but I'd probably book it as a backup and change it if something better opens up. Without status you will be stuck paying a $125 change fee (I'm not sure if you have MVPG or higher status?), but to me that would be worth it.

Just to be clear (I'm not sure if you are new to AS awards?) if you book US - TYO - SIN in a single award ticket (use multi-city search) you get the whole thing for 65k miles (including the stopover). You just pay the US - SE Asia rate, and the stopover is included for free.

Eg:
Attached Images   
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 12, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you are willing to take the scenic route you can book this now.

June 23, SFO-ORD-NRT (AS 1206 in first, JL 9 in business) You also have a 12 hr (midnight-noon) layover in Chicago. Not an ideal routing but I'd probably book it as a backup and change it if something better opens up. Without status you will be stuck paying a $125 change fee (I'm not sure if you have MVPG or higher status?), but to me that would be worth it.

Just to be clear (I'm not sure if you are new to AS awards?) if you book US - TYO - SIN in a single award ticket (use multi-city search) you get the whole thing for 65k miles (including the stopover). You just pay the US - SE Asia rate, and the stopover is included for free.

Eg:
Thanks very much! Indeed I have heard of it which is why I want to use AS to book it

Question: if i’m searching LAX - HND on 24th, it shows the option to fly LAX - KIX - HND on Business for LAX - KIX. But if I were to choose multi city and LAX - HND 24th, HND - SIN 26th, the option for the LAX - KIX - HND on 24th doesn’t appear. Any way around this?
Old May 13, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much! Indeed I have heard of it which is why I want to use AS to book it

Question: if i’m searching LAX - HND on 24th, it shows the option to fly LAX - KIX - HND on Business for LAX - KIX. But if I were to choose multi city and LAX - HND 24th, HND - SIN 26th, the option for the LAX - KIX - HND on 24th doesn’t appear. Any way around this?
Strange. You could try to force it with LAX-KIX-HND-SIN multi-city (with the appropriate dates). As long as you only have one stopover of 24hr or more it should price as a single award, I think.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AS

There is a LAX-NRT non-stop available on 6/23. Use multi-city search to get plus HND-SIN on 6/26.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Strange. You could try to force it with LAX-KIX-HND-SIN multi-city (with the appropriate dates). As long as you only have one stopover of 24hr or more it should price as a single award, I think.
You can only enter (1) connection into the multi-city search. You may be able to do LAX-KIX & KIX-SIN but you loose the ability to build in a stopover in TYO, at least online. I haven't tested if AS can do that by calling in. I have also been successful booking a through itinerary and then adding a stopover and another segment later. In January I had HKG-HND-JFK-LAX. In J, F & F. After purchasing the itinerary I moved the JFK-LAX(F) ahead 2 months and added LAX-PVR(Y) all online. I was upgraded on the W fare to PVR. For May, I booked GMP-GDL. In my search when I added GMP-LAX & LAX-GDL. It offered me JL GMP-HND-JFK-LAX-GDL in J, F, F & F.

It is alway nice to throw on a free onezway to Mexico or Hawaii.

James
Old May 14, 2019, 7:48 pm

There is a LAX-NRT non-stop available on 6/23. Use multi-city search to get plus HND-SIN on 6/26.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You can only enter (1) connection into the multi-city search. You may be able to do LAX-KIX & KIX-SIN but you loose the ability to build in a stopover in TYO, at least online. I haven't tested if AS can do that by calling in. I have also been successful booking a through itinerary and then adding a stopover and another segment later. In January I had HKG-HND-JFK-LAX. In J, F & F. After purchasing the itinerary I moved the JFK-LAX(F) ahead 2 months and added LAX-PVR(Y) all online. I was upgraded on the W fare to PVR. For May, I booked GMP-GDL. In my search when I added GMP-LAX & LAX-GDL. It offered me JL GMP-HND-JFK-LAX-GDL in J, F, F & F.

It is alway nice to throw on a free onezway to Mexico or Hawaii.

James
Thanks very much everyone. Saw some availability for 23/24th, but still really holding out for 25/26th. Fingers crossed.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: Alaska
unlikely that you can get KIX-HND-SIN as multi city search. most likely you will get KIX-PVG-HND-SIN or KIX-TPE-HND-SIN without stopover at HND

If you want to go to Tokyo and stay a few days, better be LAX-KIX HND-SIN as one award and take trains to Tokyo

correction: just try again. it seems that if I search KIX-SIN alone, there is KIX-HND-SIN, but can't get together with LAX-KIX

Last edited by freed0m; May 14, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 10:09 pm

Thanks very much everyone. Saw some availability for 23/24th, but still really holding out for 25/26th. Fingers crossed.
I think you have a good shot but you might have to suffer a few weeks of frequent checking before you land it.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:15 am

having trouble finding any availability at all for BKK-HND/NRT-SFO F on JL for the 6/1-6/23

Last edited by Travelchurner; May 17, 2019 at 4:21 am
Old May 17, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Travelchurner
having trouble finding any availability at all for BKK-HND/NRT-SFO F on JL for the 6/1-6/23
No JL F on BKK-TYO. It will be a week or two before JL starts opening up F for those dates TYO-US. There is NRT-LAX on 6/2 in F now if you don't mind hopping up to SF on AS.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
What's going on with AS award search engine for partners - nothing is available in business!
Old May 17, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kalboz
What's going on with AS award search engine for partners - nothing is available in business!
Please define “nothing” more carefully, took me literally 10 seconds to find TYO-SIN J inventory in mid-August...
Old May 17, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Please define “nothing” more carefully, took me literally 10 seconds to find TYO-SIN J inventory in mid-August...
AS IT in general is horrible but the JAL search engine is pretty good at finding JAL flights unless you are searching at the very end of schedule. If you are not seeing anything it is most likely because JAL is not making anything available to any partners not because of the AS search engine. What do you find when you search on other partners' sites? What dates and routes are you looking for?
Old May 18, 2019, 6:43 am

No JL F on BKK-TYO. It will be a week or two before JL starts opening up F for those dates TYO-US. There is NRT-LAX on 6/2 in F now if you don't mind hopping up to SF on AS.
Yeah I know, no F BKK-TYO. How many days in advance of the departure does JL release the available seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.