Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Cool Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
We probably need an award wiki thread (and hopefully not two of them that are duplicative, like CX).
Here we go... please add to the wiki above.

This is the current award chart:

Code:
Japan Airlines
Class of Service | One-way | Round-trip
Continental U.S. to Asia
Coach            | 35,000  | 70,000
Premium          | 40,000  | 80,000
Business         | 60,000  | 120,000
First            | 70,000  | 140,000

Continental U.S. to Southeast Asia
Coach            | 40,000  | 80,000
Premium          | 45,000  | 90,000
Business         | 65,000  | 130,000
First            | 75,000  | 150,000
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
From my limited experience booking an AA award on JL this year, F seats open up liberally close in, a week or two out from departure. This seems to hold true as there seems to be lots of award space in December/January in premium cabins. Not so much other times of the year.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I have a fair amount of experience with JL J and F booking and this is what I've found.

1-2 F seats are sometimes made available at T-331. They then will sporadically appear throughout the rest of the cycle (never seems to be rhyme or reason). At T-14ish, you can often typically the # of revenue F seats available = (F award seats available - 1) but moving to equal within T-3. In all practically this means you can snag 2 seats on at least 1-2 US routes within T-7.

J follows a similar pattern except there are often far more J seats available and they make them all available (its not unusual to see 3-6 available).

It's very similar to CX except with more F and J seats to sell and therefore greater chance of finding multiple seats if you are needing 2-3 seats.
focusonskills likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just randomly looking around I noticed AA First (which I know is no comparison to JL First) available for only 2,500 more miles than JL business awards....I love the fact that JL has such great (relatively speaking) availability, but I'll still take the time to check ba.com for CX availability before resorting to JL since 10K miles is enough of a difference to make it worth the extra effort...especially if you're going to HKG which actually costs more than 60K on JL.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:52 pm

Just booked PDX-SFO-HND(stopover)-GMP in Sept. Could not be happier about getting F to Tokyo. Only bummer is that it seems (based on others posts in another thread) is that within Asia your looking at flights that only have J(with a couple of exceptions). Looks like to try the F lounge in HND I will have to fly F back .
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gobeavs8
Only bummer is that it seems (based on others posts in another thread) is that within Asia your looking at flights that only have J(with a couple of exceptions)
Also I've never been able to get J for intra-Japan, only Y (true for NH too). It's Y only and you can buy Class J (think Delta C+) for ~$8-10 and to domestic F for some amount I can't recall (never done it - but I always do Class J at the lounge or at check-in).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
How is the intra-Japan J product? I'm seeing that cabin as 5 across on the 737s, which doesn't seem like it's worth much.

For the true AS feel, though, they've got all-coach Q400s - but with one fewer row than Horizon's, so you can really stretch out into that one extra inch!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Duke787
Also I've never been able to get J for intra-Japan, only Y (true for NH too). It's Y only and you can buy Class J (think Delta C+) for ~$8-10 and to domestic F for some amount I can't recall (never done it - but I always do Class J at the lounge or at check-in).

Never mind I lied, I swore it said J but booking shows Y

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 7, 2016 at 7:48 am
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Forgot about that. I did an ITM-NRT in Y as part of an F award, and no, AA would not book F or J for this flight. I was able to select a PE seat which was fine for that stage length. It was offered to pay to upgrade to a J seat (F ones were filled already- checked via EF) but didn't care to for the short flight. And I couldn't keep Bob so I was a bit disgruntled.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Same rules against backtracking to gateways on JL awards as other partners? Looking at routing through ORD or JFK for a trip next year.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 2:00 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Good Biz class availability

Booked 3 Biz class seats last month for April during Cherry Blossoms season using miles. Coming from the west coast and flying through Vancouver or San Diego had lots of Biz class options. Finding 3 seats r/t wasn't too difficult, which is next to impossible on other airlines.

Edit: my trip is an open jaw flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
So, my CGK-NRT-DEL was downgraded from F to J (in March). Is it worth it to still fly that route in J for 25k or should I just ask AS to refund the whole thing and fly a more normal routing?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jbutters
Booked 3 Biz class seats last month for April during Cherry Blossoms season using miles. Coming from the west coast and flying through Vancouver or San Diego had lots of Biz class options. Finding 3 seats r/t wasn't too difficult, which is next to impossible on other airlines.

Edit: my trip is an open jaw flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka.
These are the easiest J seats to get since they are not the most desirable type.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 1353513636
So, my CGK-NRT-DEL was downgraded from F to J (in March). Is it worth it to still fly that route in J for 25k or should I just ask AS to refund the whole thing and fly a more normal routing?
Personally, if I could do SE Asia-Tokyo(stop)-India for only 25k in business with a good product as part of a vacation, I'd do it. Two Asian longhaul J flights for 25k, at the same cost as a round-trip saver in the USA? Sure. When combined with other AS partner redemptions, you could do something like this:

USA-PEK(stop)-SE Asia(stop, destination) HU
SE Asia-TYO(stop)-DEL(stop, destination) JL
DEL-HKG(stop)-USA CX

In J that would run you 125k AS miles and net you FOUR Asian destinations + India for as long as you would like (though the HU flights would incur significant YQ). You could also vary the itinerary and do some shorthaul LCCs for flights and end up exploring places like CMB, PEN, REP, USM and so on.

IMO, it doesn't make as much sense as a routing from Jakarta to India in one day, though, if you aren't taking the Tokyo stop. That being said CGK-DEL is a longhaul flight. I guess it would depend on how you value time vs. comfort on the plane?

Originally Posted by tth6133
These are the easiest J seats to get since they are not the most desirable type.
They're sure a lot more desirable than coach seats for 10+ hour flights though.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 22, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.