Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Yeah I know, no F BKK-TYO. How many days in advance of the departure does JL release the available seats?
Available seats in JL F may never be released to award inventory and the flight will depart with empty F seats. I have yet to fly JL F in a full cabin. My last three flights had 3, 4 & 6 passengers.

James
Old May 18, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Available seats in JL F may never be released to award inventory and the flight will depart with empty F seats. I have yet to fly JL F in a full cabin. My last three flights had 3, 4 & 6 passengers.

James
That's interesting, on my flight from SFO-HND on 3/13, the cabin had either 7 or 8 pass. in F. I had booked an award flight using 75k AS.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:41 pm

That's interesting, on my flight from SFO-HND on 3/13, the cabin had either 7 or 8 pass. in F. I had booked an award flight using 75k AS.
I think it comes down to flight load and revenue management. A passenger in F comes with a real cost to the airline in amenities. If J is half empty, there is no incentive to fill F while if J is full, opening up F space could potentially free up J which is easier to sell over F.

All my JL F awards have been TYO-USA mainland and onward to Mexico or Hawaii so I am not sure of the loads from the USA. I had the right isle all to myself on my first JL F flight. With 4 on my second, each pax had a window for relaxing and meals and each had the adjacent inside suites for their bed. With 6 on my last flight (HND-SFO), I was traveling with a companion, both being booked into F at time of award redemption. There were still two F seats unoccupied. Westbound flights have been QF & CX redemptions.

James
Old May 18, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Yeah I know, no F BKK-TYO. How many days in advance of the departure does JL release the available seats?
In your time frame (a month to go) they historically have started releasing seats anywhere from T-15 days on up through departure. I've had two JL F flights in the last two years and both have gone out 100% full. The last flight they released the last revenue seat for an award with a little over a day to departure.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It probably depends on your destination city but my two SFO-HND flights have gone out full or almost full. I think one had 2 empty seats and the other was full.

Also, just because they fly with an empty seat does not mean it was not released as award space. Many people have trouble making use of last-minute TPAC availability. Sometimes they will release something 1-2 days out and no one will grab it.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It probably depends on your destination city but my two SFO-HND flights have gone out full or almost full. I think one had 2 empty seats and the other was full.

Also, just because they fly with an empty seat does not mean it was not released as award space. Many people have trouble making use of last-minute TPAC availability. Sometimes they will release something 1-2 days out and no one will grab it.
I agree on the routing as well as loads, but flying with empty F seats doesn't necessarily mean it was released and not spoken for.

On a CX J x 2 redemption JNB-HKG-BOS an F opened HKG-BOS at T-11 days which I upgraded into. No additional space opened up and we departed with 3 empty F. J was less than half full. I don't know that JL releases all unsold F inventory to awards. In my experience, they don't.

James
Old May 18, 2019, 9:27 pm

I agree on the routing as well as loads, but flying with empty F seats doesn't necessarily mean it was released and not spoken for.

On a CX J x 2 redemption JNB-HKG-BOS an F opened HKG-BOS at T-11 days which I upgraded into. No additional space opened up and we departed with 3 empty F. J was less than half full. I don't know that JL releases all unsold F inventory to awards. In my experience, they don't.

James
I do not have a lot of experience but definitely last year I saw JL release the last F seat for an award with a little more than a day until departure. It probably depends on the loads but I know for a fact that sometimes (at least once I have personally seen) it happens.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't say that it did... I don't think that you can use load as a way to determine this. But you can look at inventory right before departure..

EDIT: JL 1 tomorrow is 0's across the board (all cabins).

JL1 the next day is F3, and there are 3 F award seats available.

If feel that if you watch this for long enough, it should become clear what they are doing.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 18, 2019 at 10:09 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 1:14 am

Hi All,

Can anyone help with a problem I'm experiencing on the website and with the phone agents?

I am looking to do SIN-NRT-JFK on JAL (J class available) followed by a 2-day stopover in NYC, then continuing on EWR-LAX on AS (F available).

The website does not allow me to do this, instead forcing a 1-stop connection between NYC and LAX. For example I am being forced to do SIN-JFK (stop) EWR-PDX-LAX, instead of SIN-JFK (stop) EWR-LAX.

Already spoke to 2 agents who said if it can't be booked on the website, they are unable to help either (basically saying SIN-JFK and EWR-LAX must be priced as 2 awards). Is this true and has anyone been able to get a manual intervention done successfully?
Old May 21, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Jaffar
Hi All,

Can anyone help with a problem I'm experiencing on the website and with the phone agents?

I am looking to do SIN-NRT-JFK on JAL (J class available) followed by a 2-day stopover in NYC, then continuing on EWR-LAX on AS (F available).

The website does not allow me to do this, instead forcing a 1-stop connection between NYC and LAX. For example I am being forced to do SIN-JFK (stop) EWR-PDX-LAX, instead of SIN-JFK (stop) EWR-LAX.

Already spoke to 2 agents who said if it can't be booked on the website, they are unable to help either (basically saying SIN-JFK and EWR-LAX must be priced as 2 awards). Is this true and has anyone been able to get a manual intervention done successfully?
I had a JL J/F award GMP-HND-JFK; EWR-LAX-GDL. It was one award @ 70K and all AS segments booked into F. Use the multi-city search option and enter SIN-JFK as the first city pair and connecting EWR-LAX as the second city pair dated 2 days after your JFK arrival. Alternatively, use NYC for all New York Airports as you would TYO for both HND & NRT.

Feel free to PM me if you need assistance.

James
Old May 21, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: krisflyer
Thanks everyone for the help previously. Dates got pushed back a little and I only can fly out of LAX on 25/26th, with 2 nights in either Tokyo or Osaka.

I see availability for LAX-KIX on 26th. But if I do a multi-city with LAX - KIX - SIN, the LAX-KIX option dosen't appear anymore. Does the stopover trick only work for TYO?

I searched for JL1 (searched multi-city for LAX-TYO-SIN and was shown LAX - SFO - HND on the 1st leg but only in Economy) on seatalert and still quite a number of seats left in J. Been searching for the past week and only see LAX - SFO - HND and never the LAX - NRT option. Nothing for SEA - TYO - SIN as well.

Fingers crossed 1 month out!

Last edited by makrxx; May 21, 2019 at 2:51 am
Old May 21, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by makrxx
Thanks everyone for the help previously. Dates got pushed back a little and I only can fly out of LAX on 25/26th, with 2 nights in either Tokyo or Osaka.

I see availability for LAX-KIX on 26th. But if I do a multi-city with LAX - KIX - SIN, the LAX-KIX option dosen't appear anymore. Does the stopover trick only work for TYO?

I searched for JL1 (searched multi-city for LAX-TYO-SIN and was shown LAX - SFO - HND on the 1st leg but only in Economy) on seatalert and still quite a number of seats left in J. Been searching for the past week and only see LAX - SFO - HND and never the LAX - NRT option. Nothing for SEA - TYO - SIN as well.

Fingers crossed 1 month out!

Lax-kix-sin did not show probably because there is no kix-sin available. If you try lax-kix then tyo-sin, lax-kix should show.

Last edited by freed0m; May 21, 2019 at 3:49 am
Old May 21, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by freed0m

Lax-kix-sin did not show probably because there is no kix-sin available. If you try lax-kix then tyo-sin, lax-kix should show.

Ahh...makes sense. But it still wouldn’t be possible to do KIX - HND/NRT - SIN I’m guessing? So taking 1 more domestic flight covered by this itienary as opposed to arranging transportation to HND/NRT.

Many thanks.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by makrxx

Ahh...makes sense. But it still wouldn’t be possible to do KIX - HND/NRT - SIN I’m guessing? So taking 1 more domestic flight covered by this itienary as opposed to arranging transportation to HND/NRT.

Many thanks.
Definitely possible to do KIX-NRT-SIN. Also ITA-HND-SIN (Itami is the domestic Osaka airport). You can use meta search code OSA for Osaka (KIX or ITM).

I think what you want to do is possible now but not possible 100% online.

If you want to stop in Tokyo. Book the 6/26 LAX-TYO (via LAX-KIX-NRT). Call in immediately after booking (within 24 hours for a free change) and tell them you want to add TYO-SIN a couple of days later. They should have no problem doing it and there should be no change fee but 5k extra miles to go to SIN plus maybe some extra taxes. Call back to try a different agent if the first won't do it. If you cannot find an agent to do it then cancel for free within 24 hours (although I don't know if you get the partner booking fee back).

If you want to stop in both Tokyo and Osaka you can do that online. Book multi-city 6/26 LAX-KIX, a couple of days later TYO-SIN. Take the Shinkansen between Osaka and Tokyo.

If you want to stop in Osaka this might be a little harder to get done in the current situation. Maybe try booking multi-ctiy 6/26 LAX-KIX, 6/29 TYO-SIN, then call in within 24 hours and tell them you want to leave Japan from KIX and to add a KIX-TYO flight to TYO-SIN?
Old May 21, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees

They should have no problem doing it and there should be no change fee but 5k extra miles to go to SIN plus maybe some extra taxes. Call back to try a different agent if the first won't do it. If you cannot find an agent to do it then cancel for free within 24 hours (although I don't know if you get the partner booking fee back).
The partner booking fee is non-refundable regardless of staus.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.